Not getting into a relationship with someone for political reasons...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am a Brit at a foreign university and there is this girl I like who I get on rather well with. We often work together on assignments, flirt occassionly, or if we stop by in the streets have a chat about how our day has gone. At parties we have often danced together. I think im starting to develop feelings for her and vice versa.I think she could be the one... if you know what I mean. I have never felt this way about a girl before. She has met my parents on the odd occassion and my parents are rather fond of her and often tease me when Im back home about how cute we could be.

She is of the German nationality. I hold no grudges against the German people today but I hold a subtle grudge against Germany the nation, be its past, what it stood for and for what I see the destruction of Britains standing in the world. Although , the German people are fine, I feel slighlty uneasy at dating a German. I understand that Germany feels embarrassed about its past but I would have supported the Morgenthau plan to make Germany pay for its destruction of Britains imperial standing.

To conclude, I feel im stuck between dividing loyalties that being my principles or love. What would you do? follow love or principles?
i have gone anonymous incase she reads this as we have both looked at the student room for comical reasons
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Second paragraph was excellent.
Zaradavidson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a Brit at a foreign university and there is this girl I like who I get on rather well with. We often work together on assignments, flirt occassionly, or if we stop by in the streets have a chat about how our day has gone. At parties we have often danced together. I think im starting to develop feelings for her and vice versa.I think she could be the one... if you know what I mean. I have never felt this way about a girl before. She has met my parents on the odd occassion and my parents are rather fond of her and often tease me when Im back home about how cute we could be.

She is of the German nationality. I hold no grudges against the German people today but I hold a subtle grudge against Germany the nation, be its past, what it stood for and for what I see the destruction of Britains standing in the world. Although , the German people are fine, I feel slighlty uneasy at dating a German. I understand that Germany feels embarrassed about its past but I would have supported the Morgenthau plan to make Germany pay for its destruction of Britains imperial standing.

To conclude, I feel im stuck between dividing loyalties that being my principles or love. What would you do? follow love or principles?
i have gone anonymous incase she reads this as we have both looked at the student room for comical reasons
Why would it matter her being German? You fall in love with someone for them not their nationality.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Obviously go with your principles, a true patriot would.

Two world wars and one world cup and all that.
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
nice to know thats what TSR is known for...

What would you do? follow love or principles?
what are these principles you speak of :dontknow:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ForestShadow)
nice to know thats what TSR is known for...

what are these principles you speak of :dontknow:
Principles - Deeply Conservative, a patriot and quite far to the right economically and possibly socially, not neo nazi though.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: lmao
Anonymous #1
[QUOTE=ForestShadow;71066524]nice to know thats what TSR is known for...

Well i sought of got her into it, when i showed a couple of the trolls and she took a liking to it for some of the advice on certain matters. Not sure if she has an account.
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
JOSH!!! HOW DARE YOU WRITE THIS ABOUT US. OF COURSE YOU KNEW I'D READ IT. never speak to me again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Quantex)
Obviously go with your principles, a true patriot would.

Two world wars and one world cup and all that.

Thanks for the advice. Im swaying to that viewpoint but love confuses me
Anonymous #1
(Original post by emerald7770)
JOSH!!! HOW DARE YOU WRITE THIS ABOUT US. OF COURSE YOU KNEW I'D READ IT. never speak to me again.
May I ask are you in a similar position, German or Brit? or a troll?
Kravence
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
leave the past in the past where it belongs
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pathetic, but do as you do.
Katzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OP raised a good point. The point is that he's British and she's German, so he is therefore scared that when they have sex, she will bend down, unzip his pants and then scream "SIEG HEIL", bite his **** and then destabilise his little empire just as how The Third Reich destabilised the British Empire.
TheIncredibleZ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stop maxing excuses of how you can't get out the friend zone m8
Anonymous #1
May I ask why it is pathetic?

(Original post by _gcx)
Pathetic, but do as you do.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
May I ask why it is pathetic?
An individual does not choose to be associated with their country, and ergo it is absolutely illogical to assume that they stand by the actions of previous Governments of said countries, or to assume that they have any connection whatsoever to the actions that you speak of. Judge an individual by their characteristics, rather than sticking to some pathetic convictions regarding entities and concepts to which they are involuntarily affiliated.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

How would you react if she said she couldn't go out with you because colonisation personally upset her and she had a grudge against Britain for it? You'd find it pathetic and moronic, which is how you're reacting. You're racist against German people who clearly have nothing to do with what 'Germany stood for'; you shouldn't even have a girlfriend to be honest. Are you as bad as whoever is/was in charge of your country? Of course not.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
How would you react if she said she couldn't go out with you because colonisation personally upset her and she had a grudge against Britain for it? You'd find it pathetic and moronic, which is how you're reacting. You're racist against German people who clearly have nothing to do with what 'Germany stood for'; you shouldn't even have a girlfriend to be honest. Are you as bad as whoever is/was in charge of your country? Of course not.
Oddly enough, I agree with the bolded. However, to say that prejudices, against individuals from specific countries, for reasons completely independent of race, are racist is absolutely imbecilic.
Athematica
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
Funny concept. Poorly executed
3/10.

4/10 when including
we have both looked at the student room for comical reasons
:lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed