The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
jamierwilliams
Does anybody know anything about working for the Secret Intelligence Service? What are the career prospects and what are the salaries like? Just interested...

isn't that the point, its secret :tongue:
Reply 3
Vladek
isn't that the point, its secret :tongue:

I suppose yes....but its the intelligence thats secret and the type of work....not the benefits
Reply 4
jamierwilliams
Does anybody know anything about working for the Secret Intelligence Service? What are the career prospects and what are the salaries like? Just interested...

pay is unspectacular, prospects not brilliant as you can't talk about your work

you seriously wouldn't be able to discuss what you do with even your family, and employees are encouraged to house-share together rather than with others - this is the sort of close-knit thing you can expect

forget about being James Bond - you can't go around telling people who you are

its only for you if you really want to be involved in this - I suspect you don't as you couldn't even be bothered looking for the website
Reply 5
Am I right in thinking you can't apply to MI6?

From what I know, MI6 has got tutors who give them recommendations as to who may be suitable. These people are then asked to turn up at a given time and place for an interview.
jamierwilliams

I could tell you, but I would then have to shoot you.
Reply 7
marabara
pay is unspectacular, prospects not brilliant as you can't talk about your work

you seriously wouldn't be able to discuss what you do with even your family, and employees are encouraged to house-share together rather than with others - this is the sort of close-knit thing you can expect

forget about being James Bond - you can't go around telling people who you are

its only for you if you really want to be involved in this - I suspect you don't as you couldn't even be bothered looking for the website

I really wouldnt like that!

Jools
I could tell you, but I would then have to shoot you.

LOL
Tednol
Am I right in thinking you can't apply to MI6?

That was my impression also. You can apply for MI5 but ive seen nothing for MI6 and would be surprised if i did considering the nature of the work and the organisation. I would assume that recruitment for it comes exclusively from the armed forces and the other intelligence organisations.
Reply 9
an Siarach
That was my impression also. You can apply for MI5 but ive seen nothing for MI6 and would be surprised if i did considering the nature of the work and the organisation. I would assume that recruitment for it comes exclusively from the armed forces and the other intelligence organisations.

You can apply for MI6:

SIS
Reply 10
The SIS Fast Stream looks unbelievably brilliant!
Reply 11
I read of one celebrity who when attended Oxford was approached by a tutor to consider joining the Mi6 or something...don't know why she decided to reveal it in an average interview though!
Reply 12
you can applyto mi5 at www.mi5.gov.uk
Reply 13
I really want to join the secret service - even if it means I had to go to the USA to join!

I dont know how you go about joining - Its always been a dream of mine to be in MI6.

I just have to wait to get through the University of York.
Reply 14
hossy
I really want to join the secret service - even if it means I had to go to the USA to join!

I dont know how you go about joining - Its always been a dream of mine to be in MI6.

I just have to wait to get through the University of York.

you want to join the secret service... you think announcing this to the world on a forum is the best way of going about it?
Haha, not as bad as the DoctorJob forum where someone said they'd just got an offer, with their name and email address public.

Regarding this whole concept that you're not allowed to tell anyone what you do, are you expected to make up a profession instead? If so, wouldn't it easily be figured out that you're fibbing, eg if you meet someone who quizzes you?
Jools

Regarding this whole concept that you're not allowed to tell anyone what you do, are you expected to make up a profession instead? If so, wouldn't it easily be figured out that you're fibbing, eg if you meet someone who quizzes you?

Surely they would provide you with an alternate profession that looks legit when checked out (after all they are the government).
Reply 17
Aren't they looking for experts in Arabic and other smaller languages?
Reply 18
Wise One
Aren't they looking for experts in Arabic and other smaller languages?

Yep
Reply 19
What is the actual job of someone in the mi6...what would the role involve doing?

I'm quite good on the languages front :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending