The Student Room Group

Organic Chemistry NMR spectrum interpretation

Ideas or steps on how to interpret a given data(graph) and be able to sketch a whole molecule? Where do you actually start.....also Any links where i can get a solid practise at this. Any contribution is very much appreciated, thankyou.
which one? carbon or proton?
Draw a table, it works every time no matter how hard the problem may be. :smile:

But thats not much help so what you will need is a column for shifts and then alongside this one for what the shifts represent. Next you will want a column for how many hydrogens that particular peak is responsible for. And finally one for how many neighbouring hydrogens there are for that particular peak.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bubblegumcat
which one? carbon or proton?

Both but i struggle more with proton nmr
Original post by 111davey1
Draw a table, it works every time no matter how hard the problem may be. :smile:

I don't get what you mean by draw a table..:s-smilie:
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
I don't get what you mean by draw a table..:s-smilie:

Do you want to know how it is constructed?
Both but i struggle more with proton nmr

draw out a table with columns such as chemical shift, type of environment...for proton add on columns such as integration, splitting pattern. For integration, write down the number provided and what this means, for example '3' would mean 3 protons corresponding to this shift such as CH3. For splitting patterns, write it down and what it means, for example a triplet means 2 protons on the adjacent carbon so CH2. Then once you've analysed everything, piece it together :smile:
Original post by bubblegumcat
draw out a table with columns such as chemical shift, type of environment...for proton add on columns such as integration, splitting pattern. For integration, write down the number provided and what this means, for example '3' would mean 3 protons corresponding to this shift such as CH3. For splitting patterns, write it down and what it means, for example a triplet means 2 protons on the adjacent carbon so CH2. Then once you've analysed everything, piece it together :smile:

Alright! Thanks for helping stranger. may all the 1000 different gods bless you.
Original post by 111davey1
Do you want to know how it is constructed?

Yeah sure. An example would be perfect
Yeah sure. An example would be perfect

NMR made easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ6ChsVZTmE

Quick Reply