The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship on par with target universities, better than semi target universities?

Is it fair to say an apprenticeship in finance at a top 5 constituent in the ftse 100 (apprentices are paid a competitive salary which increases yearly with bonuses and become a chartered accountant within 5 years) is in a better position than someone who also wants to go into finance but down the degree route at one of the top 10 universities s?

In particular, the fact that graduates from these target and semi target universities will be in the applicant pool applying for the grad scheme that this certain company has, surely being able to do an apprenticeship with a guaranteed job at the end where your salary and internal progression will also be higher shows it's a better route?

Bearing in mind I understand a degree offers flexibility, however I am talking about individuals specifically staying in accounting and finance. In this case, a apprenticeship route with one of the biggest global companies in the world and secured job prospects is surely better than a degree at a top 10 uni in which u would be up thousands of other applicants competing for places to get into entry level, which would be below where the apprentices would be at the same age.
Original post by QuiqueSanchez
Is it fair to say an apprenticeship in finance at a top 5 constituent in the ftse 100 (apprentices are paid a competitive salary which increases yearly with bonuses and become a chartered accountant within 5 years) is in a better position than someone who also wants to go into finance but down the degree route at one of the top 10 universities s?

In particular, the fact that graduates from these target and semi target universities will be in the applicant pool applying for the grad scheme that this certain company has, surely being able to do an apprenticeship with a guaranteed job at the end where your salary and internal progression will also be higher shows it's a better route?

Bearing in mind I understand a degree offers flexibility, however I am talking about individuals specifically staying in accounting and finance. In this case, a apprenticeship route with one of the biggest global companies in the world and secured job prospects is surely better than a degree at a top 10 uni in which u would be up thousands of other applicants competing for places to get into entry level, which would be below where the apprentices would be at the same age.

no

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain why
Reply 3

You mention flexibility - it may sound trivial now but further down the line it may be essential. I'm gonna say right now I'm extremely biased as a masters student in theoretical physics with zero interest in finance - but do you want to do finance for the rest of your life? A degree doesn't just offer flexibility for careers afterwards, but you get to be around people studying wildly different things that may shift your interests and ambitions. If after exposing yourself to the wider world you still believe finance is right, then fair enough, but entering that bubble early on, to me, seems dangerous. Again I'm biased, not a fan of careers focused purely on money, but food for thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Explain why

- You're tied down to one employer for 5 years (assuming this is accounting we're on about) and don't get the same liberty of changing your mind about careers
- You miss out on the university experience, on having 0 responsibilities other than getting good grades. I.e. you miss the fact that everyone is like-minded and young, the activities on offer, the learning experience
- There are far better opportunities that you could get by going to a top university that you would otherwise be barred from by doing Audit/Tax for 5 years
- The current fee structure means that you don't really feel the "debt" of a university education, it effectively adds a few % to your tax liability every year

Now if you KNOW that accounting is your career aim and you don't see the value in going to uni/don't want to ever consider an academic route. Sure, it's​ a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
- You're tied down to one employer for 5 years (assuming this is accounting we're on about) and don't get the same liberty of changing your mind about careers
- You miss out on the university experience, on having 0 responsibilities other than getting good grades. I.e. you miss the fact that everyone is like-minded and young, the activities on offer, the learning experience
- There are far better opportunities that you could get by going to a top university that you would otherwise be barred from by doing Audit/Tax for 5 years
- The current fee structure means that you don't really feel the "debt" of a university education, it effectively adds a few % to your tax liability every year

Now if you KNOW that accounting is your career aim and you don't see the value in going to uni/don't want to ever consider an academic route. Sure, it's​ a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One person from my school, told me he is doing an apprenticeship at 'GSK'. He claimed it is on par with OXBRIDGE and is better than semi target IB unis in terms of finance. What do you have to say to this? I mean, the way he described this apprenticeship seemed like I should also apply, as he claimed for finance, it was better than the unis I mentioned above.
Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is becoming a chartered accountant (for which you have to study for the professional qualification over 3 years) not an academic route?
How is becoming a chartered accountant (for which you have to study for the professional qualification over 3 years) not an academic route?

It's a professional route not an academic one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a professional route not an academic one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But all graduates would need to achieve the qualificaton to become chartered. The fact that u dont need a degree to get the chartered qualification surely means its better than going to any uni to study whatever degree if u want to become an accountant?
Reply 9
But all graduates would need to achieve the qualificaton to become chartered. The fact that u dont need a degree to get the chartered qualification surely means its better than going to any uni to study whatever degree if u want to become an accountant?

But your original thread was about finance jobs in general, not specifically chartered accountancy. It is clear you have a placement in accounting at an apprenticeship. The person above has told you countless times that apprenticeships are lesser than unis, so please stop asking follow up questions to make apprenticeships sound better than they are when they are a lesser option. If academia isn't for you, then it isn't.

Well ofc, if you want to become an accountant and that's all you've ever wanted it's the best option.

Quick Reply

Latest