This discussion is closed.
lavack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Good evening...I am mature student studying the PGDE (FE and Skills) and I am on placement, my degree is an Accounting degree and I have worked in Finance all my life, I decided on a career change and started the PGDE last year...
My uni got me a placement to teach Business Studies when they knew I have an Accounting degree, and believe me Accounting is only part of Business Studies, a small part... and once I realised that I tried to tell them that there is a big difference and I was not comfortable teaching Business Studies as I was not familiar with certain aspects of the curriculum, for example Human Resources, Operations etc but they insist that I carry on with the Business Studies placement, and if I am not comfortable with the topics to read 2 weeks in advance of the students...I have no problem reading in advance but I feel that this lack of subject knowledge has taken a big knock on my confidence, I feel that instead of concentrating on my teaching strategies I am busy trying to understand what I am going to be teaching, has anyone ever had a similar experience?? Planning takes me so long to do as I struggle to know if I am covering enough content, and my mentor (brilliant as she is) doesn't really seem to be helping me out...I am also teaching two other different teachers classes so 3 teachers that have 3 different ways and I have to incorporate everything that they all want into my lessons...
I am feeling overwhelmed and stressed...
I have no time for anything other than lesson plans, resources, university assignments...
I thought the main idea of a teaching placement was that I would go and teach a subject I was confident in and build up on the actual teaching and not subject knowledge...I am stuck and do not know how to proceed...I would much rather had one class and dealt with that one class while I am on placement and then taken more once I had completed my qualification!!
Can anyone please help???
irvine987
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry i didn't see this months earlier ...

am feeling your pain. I have no idea why teacher training should be so hard. I was in same boat and 2 kids at nursery age with a wife who works long hours. the teachers couldn't care less about your struggles. they seem to have forgotten what it was like. I eventually gave up and returned to what i was doing before. I came to the conclusion that if you're in a big school of education with lots of student teachers, the uni don't really care either, they have so many students going through the system. if you stress test them, they won't bother their arses with you. id like to know if thats true, at smaller schools of education. (Maybe you matter more to them)

i was dismayed by how quickly they gave up on me. Really shocking after listening to all the 'right on' lectures.

How did you get on???
thefish1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lavack)
Good evening...I am mature student studying the PGDE (FE and Skills) and I am on placement, my degree is an Accounting degree and I have worked in Finance all my life, I decided on a career change and started the PGDE last year...
My uni got me a placement to teach Business Studies when they knew I have an Accounting degree, and believe me Accounting is only part of Business Studies, a small part... and once I realised that I tried to tell them that there is a big difference and I was not comfortable teaching Business Studies as I was not familiar with certain aspects of the curriculum, for example Human Resources, Operations etc but they insist that I carry on with the Business Studies placement, and if I am not comfortable with the topics to read 2 weeks in advance of the students...I have no problem reading in advance but I feel that this lack of subject knowledge has taken a big knock on my confidence, I feel that instead of concentrating on my teaching strategies I am busy trying to understand what I am going to be teaching, has anyone ever had a similar experience?? Planning takes me so long to do as I struggle to know if I am covering enough content, and my mentor (brilliant as she is) doesn't really seem to be helping me out...I am also teaching two other different teachers classes so 3 teachers that have 3 different ways and I have to incorporate everything that they all want into my lessons...
I am feeling overwhelmed and stressed...
I have no time for anything other than lesson plans, resources, university assignments...
I thought the main idea of a teaching placement was that I would go and teach a subject I was confident in and build up on the actual teaching and not subject knowledge...I am stuck and do not know how to proceed...I would much rather had one class and dealt with that one class while I am on placement and then taken more once I had completed my qualification!!
Can anyone please help???
Hi, did you end up finishing the course? if yes, how was it?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Since the user in the OP hasn't logged in for over 2 years I'm going to close this thread as I doubt they'll be replying.

If you have any questions or concerns about completing a PGDE just pop a thread up in the teacher training, teaching and education jobs forum and someone will be able to help you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%