Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/ph...OnASpring.html

This site has conflicting information with question 3(b) of this paper:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...2-QP-JUN14.PDF

-----------------------

Ok, at the bottom GPE is at a minimum and EPE is at a maximum fine, and the opposite is true for the top, GPE at a maximum and EPE at a minimum.

But why at the midpoint on the question is potential energy ZERO? Wouldn't it have GPE and epe equal to the difference between the maximum and the minimum?

Instead it says the total potential energy is zero, which is confusing, because energy is a scalar not a vector. I understand that force is zero due to gravity and spring force cancelling each other out (hence why velocity and kinetic energy is maximum at the midpoint). But I cannot see why potential energy is zero.

Would appreciate some help asap!
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Teenage Hype)
http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/ph...OnASpring.html

This site has conflicting information with question 3(b) of this paper:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...2-QP-JUN14.PDF

-----------------------

Ok, at the bottom GPE is at a minimum and EPE is at a maximum fine, and the opposite is true for the top, GPE at a maximum and EPE at a minimum.

But why at the midpoint on the question is potential energy ZERO? Wouldn't it have GPE and epe equal to the difference between the maximum and the minimum?

Instead it says the total potential energy is zero, which is confusing, because energy is a scalar not a vector. I understand that force is zero due to gravity and spring force cancelling each other out (hence why velocity and kinetic energy is maximum at the midpoint). But I cannot see why potential energy is zero.

Would appreciate some help asap!
In the middle of the oscillation the potential energy is at minimum and the kinetic energy is at maximum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teenage Hype
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyx)
In the middle of the oscillation the potential energy is at minimum and the kinetic energy is at maximum

Posted from TSR Mobile
But does that mean it is zero? Since the mass is above it's lowest point, it will have some gravitational potential energy?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Teenage Hype)
But does that mean it is zero? Since the mass is above it's lowest point, it will have some gravitational potential energy?
its the total potential energy so it's the sum of GPE and EPE...

the zero point has Imo been chosen for convenience, since you're interested in the size of changes in PE between different points on the pendulum's travel there's nothing wrong with that.
Teenage Hype
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
its the total potential energy so it's the sum of GPE and EPE...

the zero point has Imo been chosen for convenience, since you're interested in the size of changes in PE between different points on the pendulum's travel there's nothing wrong with that.
Fair enough I guess. Confusing question though, but I understand it now (conservation of energy).

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads