The Student Room Group

Struggling with new job.

Hi everyone. So, I'm new to Student Room and I've just finished my week working at my Graphic Designer role (in-house) in London. This is my first job relating to my career after graduation. I started only a couple of weeks ago.

However, I already feel that I'm struggling. It's not that I don't know how to use the Adobe Creative Cloud software or anything like that, but it's more to do with processing new information, instructions as well as my anxiety. As a result, I have been statemented, where I have received classroom support ever since I was little.

Long story short, I'm Autistic and although I am on the milder end of the spectrum, I have a hard time in learning new things, retaining information, as well as my communication, so I can also be really shy around new people. On top of this, because of additional problems I have with memory and coordination, I also think I might be Dyspraxic.

To put this into context, a couple of days ago, I was given a task, which was simply to edit a series of stickers, packaging etc inside of Adobe Illustrator.
Although I did check/confirm the instructions I was given a couple of times with the marketing manger, I still managed to somehow misunderstand the task a couple of times, which resulted in me delivering later than what was expected.

I also want to say that the people I work with are really friendly and I made them aware that I was on the Autism Spectrum right from when I had my first interview, but I feel that because of how shy and reserved I can be and being a slow learner, will affect my ability to perform my job properly, as well as being able to 'fit in.'

Is anyone else on here Autistic, has some kind of learning disability or been relatively new to a job? If so, how do you deal with it and what advice could you give in order to help improve myself and my confidence, as well as my ability to perform? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.
Anything you find difficult, seek help immediately. Your job was most likely a graduate role meaning you only needed to show interest to stand a chance of getting it. Thus, you shouldn't be judged if you don't get it right the first time.
Original post by chloejanec

Don't judge yourself to harshly and too early. I've been in a new job 8 weeks now, and I've got several things wrong every week, and I am the boss! I'm misunderstanding things left right and centre, and at the moment it feels like people are just throwing pieces of a jigsaw at me and I'm not even really sure exactly what the picture is supposed to be!

It's very useful to the employer that you have been clear about how you absorb information, but it may also take them some time to work out how best to handle that over a variety of tasks and actions.

And remember, most professional roles don't expect a new starter to be anything like up to speed for their first 6 months, and a year if it is a strongly annual business (like education). So long as you are showing all the competencies of the job (ie being able to use the software well), then the processing of information is something that you and the employer will adapt to managing better over time, but probably months rather than weeks.
i started a new job 3 weeks ago and the first month or so is always tricky because you are trying to find your place.

what i find that helps is when you are being given a task try to write it down word for word when it is given to you. then you can refer back when you need to. also the first thing i do every morning is write down my tasks for the day so that way i hopefully wont get too sidetracked, that way you can tick off what you have done and carry over any jobs for the next day.
Original post by chloejanec
Hi everyone. So, I'm new to Student Room and I've just finished my week working at my Graphic Designer role (in-house) in London. This is my first job relating to my career after graduation. I started only a couple of weeks ago.

However, I already feel that I'm struggling. It's not that I don't know how to use the Adobe Creative Cloud software or anything like that, but it's more to do with processing new information, instructions as well as my anxiety. As a result, I have been statemented, where I have received classroom support ever since I was little.

Long story short, I'm Autistic and although I am on the milder end of the spectrum, I have a hard time in learning new things, retaining information, as well as my communication, so I can also be really shy around new people. On top of this, because of additional problems I have with memory and coordination, I also think I might be Dyspraxic.

To put this into context, a couple of days ago, I was given a task, which was simply to edit a series of stickers, packaging etc inside of Adobe Illustrator.
Although I did check/confirm the instructions I was given a couple of times with the marketing manger, I still managed to somehow misunderstand the task a couple of times, which resulted in me delivering later than what was expected.

I also want to say that the people I work with are really friendly and I made them aware that I was on the Autism Spectrum right from when I had my first interview, but I feel that because of how shy and reserved I can be and being a slow learner, will affect my ability to perform my job properly, as well as being able to 'fit in.'

Is anyone else on here Autistic, has some kind of learning disability or been relatively new to a job? If so, how do you deal with it and what advice could you give in order to help improve myself and my confidence, as well as my ability to perform? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

The way to get round this:

1. Make them aware You already have done and they seem sympathetic.
2. Take a notepad and write your instructions down, then repeat what was asked you you understood it and they know you understood.. Part of that includes deadlines.
3. If you ever become unsure then ask.
4. Keep your manager/ person you are working for updated.
5. learn from your mistakes so you dont repeat.
6. Maybe keep a to do list so you know what your tasks are and when they need to be completed by.

Once you start to get the hang of it then you will gain confidence and worry less.
Reply 5
Thank you everyone. I've read all of your responses individually and I particularly like the notepad idea of writing things down. Thank you for the advice everyone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending