Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, am in a dilema. Basically i wanna get into medicine through Health and Human Sciences in essex uni (dey dont do medicne) because they allow 2 a-levels of BC/BB. dis year am gonna study human bio and psychology which really siuts dis course. ma AS results where CCDU. i was also finking of doin chemistry intensive 1 year course.
    Is it possible to do medcine through Health and Human Sciences?? and is dis course any use??

ReputationRep:
    You can't do **** until you learn to SPEAK F***ING ENGLISH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    You can't do **** until you learn to SPEAK F***ING ENGLISH.
    lol, ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated_i)
    Hey, am in a dilema. Basically i wanna get into medicine through Health and Human Sciences in essex uni (dey dont do medicne) because they allow 2 a-levels of BC/BB. dis year am gonna study human bio and psychology which really siuts dis course. ma AS results where CCDU. i was also finking of doin chemistry intensive 1 year course.
    Is it possible to do medcine through Health and Human Sciences?? and is dis course any use??
    You could apply for medicine as a graduate, but you wouldn't be able to transfer before you had finished your degree.

Doing 3 subjects with A Level intensive chemistry in one year would be a lot of work. Maybe think about improving the grades that you have?

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    As a graduate applicant, you may be expected to have 3 a-levels regardless of your degree. Some places stipulate that these need to be AAA/ABB too - SGHMS and Liverpool spring to mind - grr and damn them!

May be you should look into Access courses?

ReputationRep:
    Does this access year gurantee you to get into medicine??

ReputationRep:
    Does this access year gurantee you to get into medicine??

No, but nor do A-Levels, a degree, a masters or a doctorate!

Some acess courses have linked places with specific medical schools.

Becareful though, and make sure you opt for an 'endorsed' course. Not all access courses are accepted by medicial schools. It's usually better to ask the medical schools what access courses they accept, and often, if you ask the access course runner, they will claim 'all' which isn't true!

There's a little bit of info here on access courses: http://www.freewebs.com/graduatemedi...oursetypes.htm

There are alos widening access courses, but these usually require 3 A-levels (I think) - Ask Sarky. She's the WAMP Queen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

There are alos widening access courses, but these usually require 3 A-levels (I think) - Ask Sarky. She's the WAMP Queen

I wish. Its not looking good.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but the fact that you have to ask these frickin retarded questions when you are about to go of to uni (haha.....Essex...what a joke) shows you are so not getting into medicine. Even people at the bottom of the pile of medicine applications are very intelligent. If you get in then a HUGE injustice has been done to everyone who has ever applied to medicine and not been accepted. And I really hope you don't actually talk or spell like that. And I take it back. Lots of offence to you! Commoner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calamity jane)
    No offence but the fact that you have to ask these frickin retarded questions when you are about to go of to uni (haha.....Essex...what a joke) shows you are so not getting into medicine. Even people at the bottom of the pile of medicine applications are very intelligent. If you get in then a HUGE injustice has been done to everyone who has ever applied to medicine and not been accepted. And I really hope you don't actually talk or spell like that. And I take it back. Lots of offence to you! Commoner!
    I got END the first time around in my A-Levels - do you think it's a travesty I have a place at medical school?

ReputationRep:
    how rudez iz dat, u i$z u callin da commoner$

ReputationRep:
    Calamity Jane, (appropriate screenname), anyone who is studying medicine will tell you that yes, whilst intellectual prowess is essential, other personal qualities are important too - such as sensitivity and diplomacy, for example. What uni do you attend and what are you reading? Please tell me it's not medicine.

ReputationRep:
    The best advice that I can give you is first of all to sit back and think. Are you willing to put in a lot of hard work to do medicine?. I think that maybe the easiest route for you would be to do your human biology and psychology A-levels this year but only if you think you can get an A or a B in both. Also start and AS level in chemistry (this plan will take and extra year). Then carry on the AS to A2 the following year. I think that this is more likely to get you the grades than trying to do a whole A2 in a year.

Your other option is to do a degree, however I am not sure that this is the right degree to do and it is not a sure fire way to get into a medical university. You could call up some of the medical universities and see what they think. What ever you do from this stage will be a lot of hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Calamity Jane, (appropriate screenname), anyone who is studying medicine will tell you that yes, whilst intellectual prowess is essential, other personal qualities are important too - such as sensitivity and diplomacy, for example. What uni do you attend and what are you reading? Please tell me it's not medicine.
    yeah yeah you're very funny (snore). Kiss my ass! I was just having a bit of fun. Jesus! To the person with the degree AND pHD from Swansea in genetics, no it's not a traversty you got into medical school. Wasn't directed at you at all!

If you want a serious opinion on the commoner then here it is. I think they should really, (what is it people in housing estates say?) 'wise up' to a lot of things. I mean all I have to judge them on is their profile (nothing there) and what I see them say. Now I hope they talk like that for a joke otherwise I get the impression they are one of those 'rude' people who want to become doctors to look clever and earn money. (what I'm about to say is completely prejudice but you have to be on these websites)Those kind of people generally have weak reasoning and won't get into medical unless they change significantly. If you are able to become a good doctor, what I said shouldn't really affect you.

And as for you bratcat!!! :mad: Think you're really clever by patronising me about the qualities of a good doctor? Piss off! Think only medics know that? You would have thought a medic would have been able to sense the tone but obviously not this one (thats right kittens, miaow). I'm sensing fails all round at medical school! What you getting so defiant about? I just said it to be funny!!! Why else would I have said it? God, talk about sensitive....

And lol! Sheffield law student makes me laugh!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2004

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.