The Student Room Group

Your current thoughts on Turkey and Erdogan

Personally, I'm anxious and excited at the same time.
What about you ?

Scroll to see replies

Excited over a dictatorship?
Lol wut
he is showing all the signs of a dictator, i hope the turkish people are happy with their choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Turkey is no better than other muslim countries.
Reply 4
Dudes, stop being so radical. The new system is exactly like the US administration.
I'm not Turkish, but I'm Muslim, and I like seeing progress.
Reply 5
Original post by Yousefator
Dudes, stop being so radical. The new system is exactly like the US administration.

Hahaha... you must be joking.

if you call a dictatorship progress then good for you, the guy is a nutter
Reply 7
Before this referendum, I was pleased with Erdogan because he has done a lot for Turkey and it has transformed over the years at a rate that would put the UK, USA, France, Australia, Germany etc to shame. There have been huge roads, schools and airports built, and socially Turkey has developed.
However, this referendum worries me. I'm not worried what Erdogan will do - but what his successor will do.
Reply 8
Original post by Meany Pie
if you call a dictatorship progress then good for you, the guy is a nutter

Please Miss, no need to insult.
The new Turkish system, if you actually read what the changes were, is as follows:-

- The president becomes head of government as well as head of state

- The post of prime minister is abolished

- The President's ability to declare a state of emergency is now subject to parliamentary approval to take effect. The Parliament can extend, remove or shorten it. States of emergency can be extended for up to four months at a time except during war, where no such limitation will be required. Every presidential decree issues during a state of emergency will need an approval of Parliament.

-The age requirement to stand as a candidate in an election to be lowered from 25 to 18,

-The condition of having to complete compulsory military service is to be removed.

-Individuals with relations to the military would be ineligible to run for election.

-Military courts are abolished

-Transferring executive powers of cabinet to President

Is this not EXACTLY the same as the US, Why do you not call the US a dictatorship. Is it because Turkey is Muslim and all Muslims are backward idiots?

I am not a nutter, you're just uninformed about this matter. Please read before you judge it is a dictatorship or if I'm mad.
Please Miss, no need to insult.
The new Turkish system, if you actually read what the changes were, is as follows:-

- The president becomes head of government as well as head of state

- The post of prime minister is abolished

- The President's ability to declare a state of emergency is now subject to parliamentary approval to take effect. The Parliament can extend, remove or shorten it. States of emergency can be extended for up to four months at a time except during war, where no such limitation will be required. Every presidential decree issues during a state of emergency will need an approval of Parliament.

-The age requirement to stand as a candidate in an election to be lowered from 25 to 18,

-The condition of having to complete compulsory military service is to be removed.

-Individuals with relations to the military would be ineligible to run for election.

-Military courts are abolished

-Transferring executive powers of cabinet to President

Is this not EXACTLY the same as the US, Why do you not call the US a dictatorship. Is it because Turkey is Muslim and all Muslims are backward idiots?

I am not a nutter, you're just uninformed about this matter. Please read before you judge it is a dictatorship or if I'm mad.

and the state censorship of anyone who criticises or insults Erdogan is a perfectly normal thing in a sensible democracy?

Here are some stats for you.
Reply 10
Correction: August 15, 2016
An earlier version of this article used an misleading comparison when describing the number of Turkish soldiers taken into custody. The detention of 10,000 Turkish soldiers is analogous to taking nearly one in 60 members of the United States military into custody not like taking nearly every fourth officer in the Army into custody.

Hahahahahaha
Please read your sources first. How can you trust a site that fails to get correct comparisions the first time round.
BTW, how many of them where killed ??
NONE.

Tell me how many Kemal Ataturk killed, now that's a real dictator, a power-hungry demagogue.
Reply 11
You are prejudiced because we are Muslim, admit that you will never believe any Muslim country can grow strong and prosperous to become a world power.
Correction: August 15, 2016
An earlier version of this article used an misleading comparison when describing the number of Turkish soldiers taken into custody. The detention of 10,000 Turkish soldiers is analogous to taking nearly one in 60 members of the United States military into custody not like taking nearly every fourth officer in the Army into custody.

Hahahahahaha
Please read your sources first. How can you trust a site that fails to get correct comparisions the first time round.
BTW, how many of them where killed ??
NONE.

Tell me how many Kemal Ataturk killed, now that's a real dictator, a power-hungry demagogue.

so you aren't going to comment on the state censorship, that says it all really.
Reply 13
You are prejudiced because we are Muslim, admit that you will never believe any Muslim country can grow strong and prosperous to become a world power.

Turkey a world power? More like a world burden.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A moderate peaceful muslim excited by "progress" as an islamic dictatorship is installed and secularism is destroyed

*neurons firing*

Like Saudi? They're prosperous economically but socially they're barely out of the Middle-Ages.
Reply 16
Original post by Meany Pie
so you aren't going to comment on the state censorship, that says it all really.

Listen, I never said Turkey was perfect, I said there was progress. Plus, as I said and you chose to ignore, it was SOO much worse in the time of Ataturk and what followed him of the CHP party.

All other comments on here are so negative it's depressing. I mean, why is everyone so against Turkey, they chose to change their system by public consensus, and do not tell me about discrepancies in the voting because that's utter BS. If there was foul play, the result wouldn't have come at 51.7%.

Please, be rational and stop judging so quickly, I just asked for views.
Reply 17
Original post by JamesN88
Like Saudi? They're prosperous economically but socially they're barely out of the Middle-Ages.

I do not believe Saudi Arabia is a strong nor a SOCIALLY prosperous country, that's out of personal experience btw.
Alhamdulillah a new Ottoman Sultan ready to revive the Khalifa
Reply 19
Original post by Best Korea
Alhamdulillah a new Ottoman Sultan ready to revive the Khalifa

Its the caliphate btw, and I'm sure you don't know that there will be ELECTIONS after this still. This system is a near perfect reflection of the US system, and they have a real maniac (uncle Trump) in power, why don't you slam him ? At least Erdogan is not a racist prick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending