The Student Room Group

What is morally right in this situation- having to continue with pregnancy

A woman was told that her unborn baby wasnot going to survive but she had to continue the pregnancy anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39437961/i-was-forced-to-carry-my-baby-knowing-she-would-die
What is morally right?

The morally right thing would've obviously been allowing her to have an abortion. But as I'm sure we all know, sometimes the law and morals just don't align. In this case, we have catholicism to thank for this news story...

That being said, couldn't she have just come over to the mainland and gone through with an abortion here? Or would that still throw up some legal trouble back in NI? Was she just not aware that abortion laws are far softer over here in the mainland?
(edited 7 years ago)
religion strikes again.
Reply 3
This is Northern Ireland we are talking about. It's a backwards society, where one of the main parties (the DUP) is extremely against abortion and same sex marriage.

Original post by TheMcSame
What is morally right?

The morally right thing would've obviously been allowing her to have an abortion. But as I'm sure we all know, sometimes the law and morals just don't align. In this case, we have catholicism to thank for this news story...

That being said, couldn't she have just come over to the mainland and gone through with an abortion here? Or would that still throw up some legal trouble back in NI? Was she just not aware that abortion laws are far softer over here in the mainland?

It's not Catholicism really. It's just Northern Ireland politics. And, yes, us women know the rules are softer in mainland UK, but private abortions are expensive.
https://www.mariestopes.org.uk/overseas-clients-abortion/irish/abortion-and-law/abortion-criteria-northern-ireland

"What if I don’t qualify to receive medical abortion treatment in Northern Ireland?

Women who do not qualify for treatment under Northern Ireland Laws as listed above, can call Marie Stopes UK on 00 44 345 300 3737 to make an appointment in the UK."

Edit: Whilst I agree the laws we have for abortion should apply to Northern Ireland, it looks like they did have option of having the procedure carried out in the UK , or at least that's what I gathered after doing some quick searching around.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending