Paper 4 IGCSE History? Watch

username3126868
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can't seem to get the hang of it. Best I've ever managed was a B, but I really want an A!!! Can anybody give me tips or a written example of what I should do? I've gone through examiner reports, the learner guide and past papers, but it's still hard to picture what I should do. Even a very small fragment would help. Thank you so much, I'll take anything and feel extremely grateful for it!
iporter6
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Basically your goal for this is to show off everything you have learnt. I usually write three or four paragraphs (not counting the intro and conclusion) with half about the reason the paper has given and the other half other reasons that were also important (the question is always something along the lines of "how important was ...". It's really helpful if at the end of each paragraph you link it back to the question so you're answering it explicitly.

Try to develop a clear opinion in your conclusion, as this is quite important in demonstrating that you not only know the topic but that you understand it enough to have your own thoughts on the matter. Hope this helps!

update: our teacher recently told us that anything less than five paragraphs is unlikely to get in the top bracket, he wants us writing six plus intro and conclusion (!). Not sure if entirely possible, but that's the word from the horse's mouth.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by calmcucumber)
I can't seem to get the hang of it. Best I've ever managed was a B, but I really want an A!!! Can anybody give me tips or a written example of what I should do? I've gone through examiner reports, the learner guide and past papers, but it's still hard to picture what I should do. Even a very small fragment would help. Thank you so much, I'll take anything and feel extremely grateful for it!
Getting over 30 marks for Paper 4 is really hard. The most I got was 27, which was a very very solid A. How I do these questions is simple: I treat it like a 10 marker in Paper 1 BUT instead of doing 2/1 split (2 arguements for 1 side and 1 on the other), I do 3/2 split (3 arguements on 1 side, 2 on other). Yes this means you need to know 5 arguements but it is worth 40marks afterall! Trust me, treating it like a 10marker means you will be doing solid paragraphs for each arguements and you will be done.

Obviously you cannot leave out a intro and conclusion.
Dont waste time on introduction too much. Just a line or 2.

Conclusion just summarise the points you said on both sides and then decide what you think overall - "Based on this, I believe..." END
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also, don't worry if you cant hit over 20 points from 40 in the paper 4. Paper 4 is really hard. I'd focus more on Paper 1 and 2, so that the marks are high there. Even if you hit a B on paper 4, but get high high As on paper 1 & 2, the A*/A grade is gonna happen.
That's what Im aiming for.
Reshi5234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
Also, don't worry if you cant hit over 20 points from 40 in the paper 4. Paper 4 is really hard. I'd focus more on Paper 1 and 2, so that the marks are high there. Even if you hit a B on paper 4, but get high high As on paper 1 & 2, the A*/A grade is gonna happen.
That's what Im aiming for.
I actually find paper 4 more fun than paper 1 or 2
aureliasvasq
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So how many paragraphs should we write in total including intro and conclusion? I've always written around 12 paragraphs for my 40 markers and always ended up getting 35/40 (never higher or never lower). I guess it's a good grade but it did come with a lot of stress as I always have anxiety attacks when I'm writing it. I always wrote one paragraph of introduction. 5 paragraphs (1 point per paragraph) supporting the question, i.e. how important was the SS in control of Hitler of Nazi Germany; I would write 5 paragraphs on how important they are and 5 more on how others factors were more important/ if it wasn't important and why. Then obviously the ending conclusion. This usually takes me til the very end of the exam, sometimes exceeding it by 1-2 seconds. I am aware that it is a lot to write within an hour but i guess it works for me as I am a fast writer. I am just seeking out for help as I really cannot seem to find a flaw in my writing and i have been wondering whether my piece of writing is quantity over quality? let me know how you guys write yours - av
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reshi5234)
I actually find paper 4 more fun than paper 1 or 2
I hated paper 4 hahah - still managed to get an A for history overall when I did it last year. You did iGCSE in 2018 or 2017?
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aureliasvasq)
So how many paragraphs should we write in total including intro and conclusion? I've always written around 12 paragraphs for my 40 markers and always ended up getting 35/40 (never higher or never lower). I guess it's a good grade but it did come with a lot of stress as I always have anxiety attacks when I'm writing it. I always wrote one paragraph of introduction. 5 paragraphs (1 point per paragraph) supporting the question, i.e. how important was the SS in control of Hitler of Nazi Germany; I would write 5 paragraphs on how important they are and 5 more on how others factors were more important/ if it wasn't important and why. Then obviously the ending conclusion. This usually takes me til the very end of the exam, sometimes exceeding it by 1-2 seconds. I am aware that it is a lot to write within an hour but i guess it works for me as I am a fast writer. I am just seeking out for help as I really cannot seem to find a flaw in my writing and i have been wondering whether my piece of writing is quantity over quality? let me know how you guys write yours - av
Hey av,
getting 35/40 is a dream come true for the vast vast vast majority of history igcse people. That I can tell you! Throughout my igcse life, I was barely getting 25/40 on the paper 4 essay. Ended with an A overall for history (I did my igcse exams last year).
I like your structure - it makes logical sense. Brief intro and then going straight to the main paragraphs - some supporting the question, other paragraphs disproving the question. And then ending it all with a conclusion, where you decide to go with the supporting side or disproving side and saying why you chose that side overall.
You should be proud of having consistently getting 35 points, as it is quite a tricky paper to write.
I guess you're a 2018 igcse candidate, so you finished ur exams already. Late reply oops
Britney_N
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Guys guys guys! Please note that the 40 marker requires you to state how the topic was significant in a few paragraphs, how it was not significant (basically counter arguing your points) and lastly, alternatives that were also significant.

(obviously plus an introduction and conclusion)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (188)
12.71%
Excited (121)
8.18%
Worried (279)
18.86%
Terrified (343)
23.19%
Meh (121)
8.18%
Confused (34)
2.3%