The Student Room Group

Higher Geography 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Used to love Geography! I got an A in this subject and as long as you memorise some model essays you'll be completely fine guys!!

If anyone needs help I can write some answers etc :biggrin:
Any guesses what's going to come up this year? I really hope malaria does lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sitting the exam this year, bit worried cause there is a lot to remember. I'm hoping Malaria comes up too lol
I think it will be soils for sure and a glaciation erosional/deposition formation! I really hope hydrosphere does not come up I don't like that topic! I think rural land will come back up and a few questions on urban! For development and health I think it will malaria and climate change I'm not too sure!
My teachers said it could be: soils (properties, formation), atmosphere (cells, winds, distribution of solar energy), hydrosphere (drainage basin, inputs, outputs, storage, hydrographs, human impacts on cycle), glaciation (formation, effects of tourism on landscape, depositional features), rural (impact of rural land degradation), population (pyramids, impact of migration on donor and host country), urban (social, economic and environmental problems resulting in rapid population growth, evaluate solutions to the problems, traffic congestion solutions), development + health ( malaria, HDI, composite indicators, socioeconomic impact of diseases, climate change (global warming impact around world, combat strategies, human factors affecting increase in global temp increase, impact on named locations)

They also said drawing diagrams for formation is an easy way to pick up marks, good luck. I got an A in the prelim so I can help if anyone wants a chat here or on skype/facebook. Would be good revision for me too.
I made similar predictions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is that exactly whats gonna come up or is it just a prediction?
Original post by Loading.....
Is that exactly whats gonna come up or is it just a prediction?

It's just what my teachers think. Doesn't matter really since geography is piss easy, I got an A in the prelim and I didn't revise at all. I'll do Advanced Higher next year for an easy A/B. All of the stuff is easy to remember, it's just general knowledge, The questions aren't tricky, just answer what's asked for. You will have done most/all of the same questions they will ask in class.
for urban i jsut have the solutions in my notes not like the problems?
Original post by 2012theyear

What happened in 2012?
Original post by 2012theyear

Problems for Glasgow are just like grid iron street patterns, bottlenecks due to lack of bridges over the Clyde, lack of public transport investment etc...
Original post by Rebeccahughes15
Problems for Glasgow are just like grid iron street patterns, bottlenecks due to lack of bridges over the Clyde, lack of public transport investment etc...

Same for edinburgh, aberdeen and any other city really.
alright thanks, and nothing much haha
How is everyone feeling about tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueenEM
Just made this thread since no one else has.
I was just wondering if anyone has any idea of what could come up this year?
do you think there will be any questions on formation or are they less likely to ask that?

praying no formations will come up!! haven't revised that..... think soils will probably come up as well. anyone doing rbm and climate change? if so, what do you think will come up?

good luck to everyone tomorrow!! x
Original post by plshelp123
praying no formations will come up!! haven't revised that..... think soils will probably come up as well. anyone doing rbm and climate change? if so, what do you think will come up?

good luck to everyone tomorrow!! x

im pretty sure formations will come up.
Anyone know if it'll be coastal or upland?
Reply 37
glacial feature or depositional but demo something from glacial. prob no land use stuff cuz that always comes up. prob one of the soils. physics characteristics of basin. prob no atmosphere
Reply 38
So how did we find it?

It was easy for me, like it was tailor-made or something. Almost every question which came up was ideal for me. Only parts I might have messed up a bit on were the glacial deposition and gley soil questions. I'm glad malaria came up this year and had the best questions for it at least. Hope the rest of you did well in the exam!
The exam was much more fair than I had initially thought it'd be. I am a little annoyed that I didn't seem to manage my time correctly but I am more or less satisfied and hopefully, fingers crossed, I get this B which I need for my conditional offer.

For the climate change question (if anyone answered that), was I right to answer it in terms of both local and worldwide impacts? I talked about both 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending