rebecca.jb
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I try and do 3 and a half hours on weekdays and then 4-5 hours on weekends, but I was ill yesterday so I didn't do any and today I'm still not feeling too good so I've done 2 and a half (2 past papers). I feel like it's not enough because I didn't do any over Easter (except a few science topics and the English language specimen paper), but I did start in January and just burnt out. Does this sound like enough?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to get motivated when you're not feeling too well? Thanks!
School_ftw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It sounds like you're doing a good amount, but it's hard to say as it's different for every individual. I personally have been doing from 7-12 hours of revision a day in the second week of easter, although I did miss the whole first week due to a school trip, so I have had to make up for the time lost. I started revising in January, and was doing a similar number of hours as I am now in the 3 weeks before my spring mocks (had half term so that meant full days). Then on school days before my mocks, I did roughly 3-6 hours a night (and some in the morning as well before school). Seems like a lot right? Well it is. An absolute ****load quite frankly, probably waaaay too much, let alone being far more than everyone else that I know of in my year group. But trust me, it most CERTAINLY pays off.

I managed to get the following grades: 988A*A*A*A*A*A*AA in my spring mocks with that amount of revision, so 9A* including top grade 9. I got grade 9 in english language, and the two 8's in literature and maths (obviously). The 2 A's were in German and Further maths (was 2 marks off A* in FM). You probably won't believe me, and I'm okay with that (I genuinely did), but regardless - what I'm saying is when revision is done right; and you know the exact areas of required improvement, you will get very good grades. Hopefully you can see that from the grades I got. But it's most certainly no easy ride. I'm in state school btw, not private.
sehar10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by School_ftw)
It sounds like you're doing a good amount, but it's hard to say as it's different for every individual. I personally have been doing from 7-12 hours of revision a day in the second week of easter, although I did miss the whole first week due to a school trip, so I have had to make up for the time lost. I started revising in January, and was doing a similar number of hours as I am now in the 3 weeks before my spring mocks (had half term so that meant full days). Then on school days before my mocks, I did roughly 3-6 hours a night (and some in the morning as well before school). Seems like a lot right? Well it is. An absolute ****load quite frankly, probably waaaay too much, let alone being far more than everyone else that I know of in my year group. But trust me, it most CERTAINLY pays off.

I managed to get the following grades: 988A*A*A*A*A*A*AA in my spring mocks with that amount of revision, so 9A* including top grade 9. I got grade 9 in english language, and the two 8's in literature and maths (obviously). The 2 A's were in German and Further maths (was 2 marks off A* in FM). You probably won't believe me, and I'm okay with that (I genuinely did), but regardless - what I'm saying is when revision is done right; and you know the exact areas of required improvement, you will get very good grades. Hopefully you can see that from the grades I got. But it's most certainly no easy ride. I'm in state school btw, not private.
what ways are you revising? im finding it so hard to stay motivated and when i am i barely even revise effectively tbh
School_ftw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sehar10)
what ways are you revising? im finding it so hard to stay motivated and when i am i barely even revise effectively tbh
Well for me it's all about being highly strategical. You've gotta know the exact areas in which you need to improve on. For each subject I do per day, I first spend 40 minutes actually reading all my notes and textbook, as this is the actual "revision" of all of the topics basically. Then I choose a topic from a list, that I need to work on. I usually note these topics down the previous session. Then I read and find out about that part extensively for about 30 minutes, until I'm fully aware of it. Then (after a 10 minute break) I do an hour-long past paper. I also self-mark it, and note down every topic which I lost marks in. Then I'll look into those parts the next session. Just over two hours have passed. I'm fully revised of the syllabus, and I know where I'm strongest and weakest. I've also practiced real GCSE exam questions, on every topic. Now I move on to the next subject, repeat for next subject.

I'm highly efficient in the revision I do, and I make it almost a game to see how long I can stay focused and efficient for. I make it a challenge. And stay motivated.
sehar10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well for me it's all about being highly strategical. You've gotta know the exact areas in which you need to improve on. For each subject I do per day, I first spend 40 minutes actually reading all my notes and textbook, as this is the actual "revision" of all of the topics basically. Then I choose a topic from a list, that I need to work on. I usually note these topics down the previous session. Then I read and find out about that part extensively for about 30 minutes, until I'm fully aware of it. Then (after a 10 minute break) I do an hour-long past paper. I also self-mark it, and note down every topic which I lost marks in. Then I'll look into those parts the next session. Just over two hours have passed. I'm fully revised of the syllabus, and I know where I'm strongest and weakest. I've also practiced real GCSE exam questions, on every topic. Now I move on to the next subject, repeat for next subject.

I'm highly efficient in the revision I do, and I make it almost a game to see how long I can stay focused and efficient for. I make it a challenge. And stay motivated.
I will try doing that, thank you!
casi12345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do you think 3 hours on school nights and 4-5 hours on weekdays is enough to get mostly A*?
ubzy22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can you start revising when there is 20 days before you exams and what grade would you get if you did this?
School_ftw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by casi12345)
do you think 3 hours on school nights and 4-5 hours on weekdays is enough to get mostly A*?
I would say that you would have a good chance, although at the end of the day it all comes down to how much you are actually gaining from the revision. Simply reading over and over the same book, without really taking anything in, would not necessarily mean you get A* for example; where as if you are actively trying hard at past papers, and taking in and fully understanding everything that is being read, you generally have a better chance. Although it's different for every person, so it depends.

(Original post by ubzy22)
can you start revising when there is 20 days before you exams and what grade would you get if you did this?
Of course you can, it largely depends on how much work you actually put in, and how much of the content you knew beforehand. Again too difficult to say what exact grade, as you could get any grade from D to A* really. Any revision is always better than none.
e2014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

How many marks did you get in your English Language and Lit papers?
rebecca.jb
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

Oh wow, those grades are AMAZING, congratulations! I want to get into vet school, so I'm aiming for grades like those. I'll be upping my revision when I'm not feeling so ill, then c: Also, I know it's a weird question, but did you find that you revised best in the morning or in the evening?
Deadman...
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

That is insane. How do u have time for anything else? What about your social life?
School_ftw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by e2014)
How many marks did you get in your English Language and Lit papers?
Believe it or not, I got 147/160 on both papers combined for the language papers (which is funny, because language ironically WAS my worst subject). I got like 38 and 39 on section B's though, so that probably helped a lot. Which apparently got me a grade 9, but obviously it's not necessarily what I would get in the summer, as nobody knows the grade boundaries.

In literature, I managed to get 131/160 on both papers combined (I screwed up on the 20 mark question of unseen poetry) which is apparently a grade 8. And likewise, this may not be the same grade in the summer due to unknown grade boundaries.
School_ftw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rebecca.jb)
Oh wow, those grades are AMAZING, congratulations! I want to get into vet school, so I'm aiming for grades like those. I'll be upping my revision when I'm not feeling so ill, then c: Also, I know it's a weird question, but did you find that you revised best in the morning or in the evening?
Thanks I can honestly say that I find my revision in the morning much easier (that is, to focus). I find you simply have a huge amount more energy than you do at the end of a day, and therefore you can concentrate more. I do however get up really early (5ish) - although this is natural, and by my choice (I figure you might as well make use of all this time in the morning)

(Original post by Deadman...)
That is insane. How do u have time for anything else? What about your social life?
Well, truth is... I do not hardly have time for anything else. Literally, in the half-term breaks, I do little other than revising. Obviously I take breaks (and go outside a bit lol), but really I do not feel the need to socialize or anything like that during this current time. I would probably say I'm more of a solitary person when it comes to socializing, which definitely works in my best interest, in terms of revision - as less of that nonsense, means less distractions. Also, I don't have snapchat or anything like that lol, so no random notifications, which I often hear can sway you from your work...
e2014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Believe it or not, I got 147/160 on both papers combined for the language papers (which is funny, because language ironically WAS my worst subject). I got like 38 and 39 on section B's though, so that probably helped a lot. Which apparently got me a grade 9, but obviously it's not necessarily what I would get in the summer, as nobody knows the grade boundaries.

In literature, I managed to get 131/160 on both papers combined (I screwed up on the 20 mark question of unseen poetry) which is apparently a grade 8. And likewise, this may not be the same grade in the summer due to unknown grade boundaries.
In December I got 142 combined on the Language papers. In my February mock however I did paper 2 only and dropped a lot of marks. hopefully I'll be able to get even more marks than 142 in the real thing though. I'm staying positive!
In literature paper 2 I got about 80-88/96 (unsure of what mark I got as teacher said she might have got something wrong) which is very good too and I'm hoping to replicate that/ get full marks in the real thing. We haven't done a Lit Paper 1 full mock.
I want a grade 9 more than anything as I've always been good at English and it would just be lovely to finalise that.
School_ftw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by e2014)
In December I got 142 combined on the Language papers. In my February mock however I did paper 2 only and dropped a lot of marks. hopefully I'll be able to get even more marks than 142 in the real thing though. I'm staying positive!
In literature paper 2 I got about 80-88/96 (unsure of what mark I got as teacher said she might have got something wrong) which is very good too and I'm hoping to replicate that/ get full marks in the real thing. We haven't done a Lit Paper 1 full mock.
I want a grade 9 more than anything as I've always been good at English and it would just be lovely to finalise that.
Those are really good marks, I reckon you can get the grade 9. The fact that a lot of people are finding the new 9-1 specification more difficult (especially with maths, but I've heard that English is similar), will probably work in the best interest of those aiming for grade 9 - as many people will be getting grades lower than 5's (I've heard of whole year groups practically failing the english, and also maths new specification). The government obviously won't let a significant, overwhelming number of people fail English - so they'll be forced to make the exam board's grade boundaries lower. Along with this, grade 9 will probably be a little more easier to obtain. So point being, there's hope - and if you're achieving scores of 140+ anyway, I would say it's highly probable that you could get the grade 9.
Charlton_AB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Then on school days before my mocks, I did roughly 3-6 hours a night (and some in the morning as well before school)
HOW?!?! Did you not have homework or something?
School_ftw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Charlton_AB)
HOW?!?! Did you not have homework or something?
Well, the fact that it only takes me about 5 -10 minutes to get home from school always helps I get home at around 3:25PM, and then at 4PM I start revision. Using the same revision format that I posted above, I can get roughly 3-4 subjects (sometimes more), with doing 2 hours per each (with short breaks). Yes I have homework, but I'm pretty efficient at that; most of it I simply do at the library in school, on the day it was set really. But really, I can only do that much revision through a lot of patience. And tea
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
>clicks on thread
>sees some person doing 7-12 hours a day

I mean, I'm not sure what else I expected.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really depends. I haven't fully finished all my courses yet so procrastinating about going on full drive revision mode. That and I kinda don't want to exhaust all the questions in my revision guide before A2 but maybe I should just try get them out of the way and try ace my AS exams. Physics is the subject that I really need to do more work on, maths and chemistry I am on top of. I mean I should probably do some english revision but man I'm gonna try drop that straight after the exam.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The amount of revision you need to do depends on the subject and how much you understand already and how good you are at answering questions. Like ultimately in the exam you aren't going to have to copy out revision notes you are going to need to answer a question in some form (be that an essay or several marked questions. Therefore the best thing you can do is practice doing past papers and essays. That said you still need a level of knowledge to be able to do that effectively and with english you really do have to know a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (18)
16.67%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.41%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
38.89%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
23.15%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.85%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed