The Student Room Group

Being Bus Driver For a Gap Year?

I have always wanted to be a bus driver but its definitely not a career I want to do for ever. I just want to see what it is like. Do you recommend becoming a bus driver during a gap year? Have any of you ever done this?
Do you have a liscence to drive a bus?
Original post by Jackieox
Do you have a liscence to drive a bus?

No not yet so I would have to train to get my bus license first but I think most companies offer training
Original post by PeasantPheasant
No not yet so I would have to train to get my bus license first but I think most companies offer training

Worth a go i guess
Reply 4
Original post by PeasantPheasant
I have always wanted to be a bus driver but its definitely not a career I want to do for ever. I just want to see what it is like. Do you recommend becoming a bus driver during a gap year? Have any of you ever done this?

It's unlikely you'd be able to do the whole lot in a year. You'll already need your car driving licence. Then you need to have a medical - this will cost around £50+ and the bus company is unlikely to pay for it. You can ask your gp or you can use a private medical company. Either way it will cost and take a few weeks to arrange.
Then you send the medical form, your driving licence, and an application form off to the DVLA. This will take a week to come back.
Then you can book the theory tests. You do the questions and hazard perception, but they're split into 2 different tests. There's likely to be a wait between booking and actually taking - so expect this to take a least a month (probably more). You can't book till you've got your licence back, so getting to this step will take around 3+ months - and you haven't attempted to drive a bus yet.
Then you'll do your driving training and test, but you can't book this till you've done all the previous steps. So depending how busy the training centre is, maybe another month or so.
Then once you've passed your test you send your licence off for endorsement. You'll then need further training for a PCV test.

So getting the licence will take 6+ months, and you'll need the time to find a bus driver job as well. If the bus company will pay for your training they're likely to specify a minimum time you need to work for them, and this is going to be more than the few months you have left of your gap year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending