The Student Room Group

Revision for AS Biology (OCR A)

Hi guys, I have finished writing up all my notes for this course and now I am stuck on what to do in terms of memorizing and revising as there is so much content in biology. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what the best method is to memorize everything in the course from my finished notes?

Thanks
I memorise all the key definitions and also make mind maps for each topic and see how much I can remember from learning my notes. I also do exam questions for each topic and then re do ones that I didn't get full marks on after learning the topic more thoroughly. Also for concepts and structures I draw out a lot of diagrams and label them repetitively until I know how to do it without any hints. I also made packs of exam questions and I do one pack (about 10 questions) everyday and will do until my exams :smile: x
Reply 2
Original post by _princessxox
I memorise all the key definitions and also make mind maps for each topic and see how much I can remember from learning my notes. I also do exam questions for each topic and then re do ones that I didn't get full marks on after learning the topic more thoroughly. Also for concepts and structures I draw out a lot of diagrams and label them repetitively until I know how to do it without any hints. I also made packs of exam questions and I do one pack (about 10 questions) everyday and will do until my exams :smile: x

When you're making those mindmaps are you looking through your notes and then reading them line by line and putting them in your own words again on your mindmap?
Original post by Gian ilagan
When you're making those mindmaps are you looking through your notes and then reading them line by line and putting them in your own words again on your mindmap?

No I read through them then make a list of all the small titles I'd need for my mind map then make a detailed mind map using all the titles of the sub topics and if I miss anything out I add it in, in a different colour then re do the mind map trying to include everything I missed. I do that until I'm confident I know all the detail I need to
Reply 4
No I read through them then make a list of all the small titles I'd need for my mind map then make a detailed mind map using all the titles of the sub topics and if I miss anything out I add it in, in a different colour then re do the mind map trying to include everything I missed. I do that until I'm confident I know all the detail I need to

In terms of reading through a topic to put on your mindmap, do you read the whole topic first then put it on your mindmap or you read the info on each subtitle and after that you put that info on your mindmap and you do this for each sub title
In terms of reading through a topic to put on your mindmap, do you read the whole topic first then put it on your mindmap or you read the info on each subtitle and after that you put that info on your mindmap and you do this for each sub title

well I just skim over all my notes for that topic because i only do mind maps when i've learnt my notes so i'm familiar with all the info anyway
Reply 6
well I just skim over all my notes for that topic because i only do mind maps when i've learnt my notes so i'm familiar with all the info anyway

When you're saying "topics" do you mean like chapters e.g. Biological molecules
When you're saying "topics" do you mean like chapters e.g. Biological molecules

no sorry i'm not explaining this clearly aha but for example if i was revising biological molecules i would do 14 mind maps because the chapter splits into 14 topics and within those topics there are sub topics, e.g. the topic molecular bonding would be one whole mind map and the sub topics would be: covalent bonds, condensation, hydrolysis and polymerisation reactions, monomers and polymers, and hydrogen bonds (i think that's all the sub topics)
Hi guys, I have finished writing up all my notes for this course and now I am stuck on what to do in terms of memorizing and revising as there is so much content in biology. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what the best method is to memorize everything in the course from my finished notes?

Thanks

Hey - it looks like you're getting some great advice already, but I've just moved your thread into the correct forum so it's seen by even more people offering biology study help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest