The Student Room Group

Will a pre med project help me get into Midwifery?

I would like to study midwifery at University, however I know it is essential to have some work experience. I came across PREMED PROJECTS which is 2 weeks working in hospitals shadowing midwives and also being able to do some of the things they do yourself.
However it is £1400, I'm just wondering if it is worth it and if it will make my application stand out.
Also if anyone has been apart of the pre med project any feedback would be amazing.
THANKS!!
Hi, this sounds like a good opportunity but it is a lot of money, there are opportunities to volunteer at hospitals or with support groups or charities that would benefit your application & only cost you your time. Even if you can't get voluntary or shadowing experience in maternity, anything with adults (preferably women e.g gynaecology ward) would be ideal.
Whatever experience you get show how it transfers to midwifery in your UCAS personal statement & at the university interview.
I hope this helps.
Original post by atycg1
I would like to study midwifery at University, however I know it is essential to have some work experience. I came across PREMED PROJECTS which is 2 weeks working in hospitals shadowing midwives and also being able to do some of the things they do yourself.
However it is £1400, I'm just wondering if it is worth it and if it will make my application stand out.
Also if anyone has been apart of the pre med project any feedback would be amazing.
THANKS!!

Please don't do this!! It's a very competitive course to be accepted for so it would be best to do some volunteering or paid work - do not spend all that money.

I worked supporting adults with learning disabilities for over a year and was offered a place. I noticed that plenty of people with direct maternity experience were rejected. I believe that any care experience will suffice as it shows that you enjoy helping people.

Ultimately, once they know you have experience it's all about you! Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by atycg1
THANKS!!

I too think this scheme is remarkably expensive for what is offered, considering many local hospitals sometimes offer similar experiences. It would be more advisable to pursue voluntary alternatives instead, such as pregnancy and post-natal support groups.

I currently work as a care assistant in a nursing home, caring for residents mainly with dementia. One of my colleagues was recently selected for a Midwifery course at our local uni, despite having no direct experience in midwifery related situations. I think universities are more keen to see your enthusiasm for the course, than direct experience, so long as you can relate the experience you have with midwifery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by atycg1
THANKS!!

I would strongly advise you to look into other options first. £1400 for two weeks is, in my opinion, ridiculously expensive, and not something I would recommend to anyone. Realistically, you will not gain any skills that you would not gain on a midwifery degree, and although it is tempting to pay the price to get quick, relevant experience, it is much more impressive to have sought out your own work experience than to have paid for it. Admissions tutors recognise that it is difficult (though not impossible) to get midwifery-related work experience and do not expect applicants to have direct experience working with a midwife. Any sort of caring role will be beneficial to your application, and it doesn't need to be directly related to midwifery.

If you take a look at the personal statement guidance linked in my signature below, there is an explanation about the different types of work experience and volunteering and how they can impact upon your application which you might find useful.
Reply 5
Hi,

I agree with what everyone has said! I managed to gain work experience through mentoring school children, peer reading programmes and actually shadowing midwives in 2 maternity units. This didn't cost any money so I would definitely say avoid!
I was also part of the interview panel for prospective universities at my uni and although we are looking for work experience, lots of people will have work experience. You have to think about how whatever experience you use will be transferrable to midwifery. You don't particularly need experience in a hospital, any experience where you care and communicate with people will do! So do something in your local nursery, school, library, anything! Just don't spend £1400 which in the end may not be beneficial to you.

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending