Dean12345
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm coming to Cardiff this September and would really like to get involved in Events.

Is there anyone who knows the cities nightlife to a tee and would lend their knowledge.

Where do Cardiff students tend to go?
What type of nights/music is the most popular?
What are the main clubs - Student and Tourist?
What are the popular student nights?
How many nights on an average day?
Do Students buy tickets before they go out? or do they guestlist?
Anything else you think is relevant
The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dean12345)
I'm coming to Cardiff this September and would really like to get involved in Events.

Is there anyone who knows the cities nightlife to a tee and would lend their knowledge.

Honestly don't worry about it. It'll all work out when you get here and meet up with whoever you live with.

The clubs are in the city centre, all within walking distance of each other.
Music will range hugely from place to place and night to night. There'll be something for every taste.
Too many clubs to bother to list.
There'll be something on every night of the week. Certain clubs have certain nights where they're the go to place as they'll have offers on drinks etc. Typically though it's something like:
Friday - anywhere
Saturday - anywhere, although SU is common
Sunday - Soda
Monday - Live lounge
Tuesday - Revs
Wednesday - SU
Thursday - Walkabout.

Unless theyre special events you'll generally just queue up.
LC383
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dean12345)

To answer a couple of your questions:

-Popular Nights out - Live Lounge (free entry on Saturday before midnight), Pryzm, Student Union Y Plas (***see below!), Walkabout, though there are others like Retros, Clwb Ifor Bach, Soda as well

-How many nights - Clubs tend to be open most days during the week, but most people tend to go out Friday/Saturday, the city tends to get a bit manic when people start coming out of clubs and going to Maccy Ds at about 2am on the weekends, so bear that in mind!

-Tickets - In Freshers, a lot of people usually get tickets/wristbands before they go out, but for some clubs you can pay on the door (most people just pay on the door during the rest of the year) - it all depends on how many people they can have in the club at one time.

-Types of Music - Live Lounge is your typical Pop Rock but they also have live bands perform, Y Plas (Cardiff Uni SU) is charts/RnB etc, Pryzm have different rooms for different kinds of music, Retros is all about 90s/00s pop, and Clwb Ifor Bach is more alternative/pop rock. A lot of clubs hold different kinds of events - you can find these on facebook & other social media - where they might be playing a type of music/band you like (you might have to get tickets beforehand)

- *** Cardiff SU - Y Plas - v. popular with students Wednesdays (YOLO) and Saturdays (Juice)

I'm sure I've missed out some info, but that's your basic overview of some of the main clubs - hope it helps!

EDIT: There are also some really nice cocktail bars in Cardiff - 10 feet tall, Buffalo (has a club upstairs - RnB) and Lloyds Crockerton (Wetherspoons) has a club night on a Friday
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (11)
68.75%
No (3)
18.75%
Not sure (2)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise