The Student Room Group

Myself and my mum are split over selling my car for college

So I'm the legal owner of the car, my mum got me it for my Christmas. I've passed my driving test and have my license. I'm finishing high school within a week and need to think about college. For myself, my job is great paying in the UK but my insurance is £200 a month plus fuel is £80 a month. If I continue to go to college I'm either going to have no money or no car, as the train is £30 a week. If I sold the car I would give my mom all the money back but she still says no to selling it. I would have an extra £280 in my pocket every month so I really don't understand her point of view. Has anyone got advice?
Original post by craigb5622
So I'm the legal owner of the car, my mum got me it for my Christmas. I've passed my driving test and have my license. I'm finishing high school within a week and need to think about college. For myself, my job is great paying in the UK but my insurance is £200 a month plus fuel is £80 a month. If I continue to go to college I'm either going to have no money or no car, as the train is £30 a week. If I sold the car I would give my mom all the money back but she still says no to selling it. I would have an extra £280 in my pocket every month so I really don't understand her point of view. Has anyone got advice?

How much is the car worth?

Maybe just put it into storage and finish the insurance? assuming you have a garage etc? they are handy , but you seem to know the figures.

Maybe she sees it as a backward step because she bought it. Your explanation makes sense though. You can get a car after uni?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
How much is the car worth?

Maybe just put it into storage and finish the insurance? assuming you have a garage etc? they are handy , but you seem to know the figures.

Maybe she sees it as a backward step because she bought it. Your explanation makes sense though. You can get a car after uni?

It was only £800 so I could pass my test and drive to school but I won't be driving to school again after 5 days so there is no need. It's horrible that I can't afford anything after the car
It was only £800 so I could pass my test and drive to school but I won't be driving to school again after 5 days so there is no need. It's horrible that I can't afford anything after the car

£800 makes no sense. it sounds way too expensive even for storage.
just tell your mum you cant afford it and why., plus youd rather save £250 a month for uni.
Reply 4
£800 makes no sense. it sounds way too expensive even for storage.
just tell your mum you cant afford it and why., plus youd rather save £250 a month for uni.

Just got to keep asking but not pestering. Thanks anyways
Just got to keep asking but not pestering. Thanks anyways

She's obviously not comprehending the expense. Why not offer to transfer it into her name or give it to a sibling?
Reply 6

your mum bought you that for christmas, part of her is probably feeling somewhat rejected with you trying to sell it so she is putting up a fuss and not considering the expenses

If you had bought the car yourself she wouldn't be putting up so much fuss.....
Reply 7
She's obviously not comprehending the expense. Why not offer to transfer it into her name or give it to a sibling?

I'm the only sibling with a job. Other ones are below 15. I'm the only one in my family to go to further education so I have told her my options are sell the car or get a student loan. Her response was to go to a college that is closer.... The college of my choice is Glasgow and that's due to them being the only college that offers financial services that progress onto a BA Finance, Investment and Risk. If I am unsuccessful then my route from there is study accounting then try again next year but I guess from her point of view it's her money she has invested into the car, fixing it and helping me out here and there. All the money that I receive from the car sale would go back to her but nope...
I'm the only sibling with a job. Other ones are below 15. I'm the only one in my family to go to further education so I have told her my options are sell the car or get a student loan. Her response was to go to a college that is closer.... The college of my choice is Glasgow and that's due to them being the only college that offers financial services that progress onto a BA Finance, Investment and Risk. If I am unsuccessful then my route from there is study accounting then try again next year but I guess from her point of view it's her money she has invested into the car, fixing it and helping me out here and there. All the money that I receive from the car sale would go back to her but nope...

Stick to your guns and show her how much money you need for uni. Having thousands in the bank would make it a whole lot easier and enjoyable for you. No relative that would speak to her?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending