Should the niqab be banned in the UK?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
GreenBell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was watching a video about it and wanted to know what you guys thought. I believe that people should be able to dress the way they want to dress.

The video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew1vVmCl7r0
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nobody should be allowed to cover their face in public.
Zentox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Everyone has a right to freely practice their religion so, no.
itsme2017
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely
GreenBell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meany Pie)
If it's not affecting you, then why not?
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GreenBell)
If it's not affecting you, then why not?
it is a security risk and not in keeping with our culture.
Somepersonhere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It can affect things
If someone walked in a bank covered up, then puls a gun and takes money, Some person tries to be a Hero and gets shot. You have a hard time finding them.

If someone doesn't cover their face its easier to identify them.
And No someone cant do it with those robber masks , cause Lets walk through city dressed like robbers with black masks, No one is gonna stop u's or call the police before we reach the bank
GreenBell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Somepersonhere)
It can affect things
If someone walked in a bank covered up, then puls a gun and takes money, Some person tries to be a Hero and gets shot. You have a hard time finding them.

If someone doesn't cover their face its easier to identify them.
And No someone cant do it with those robber masks , cause Lets walk through city dressed like robbers with black masks, No one is gonna stop u's or call the police before we reach the bank
Truee, good points. But how many niqabis have you heard of that have actually done that? If that was a serious problem then yes I agree with you. But all they do is walk around minding their own business. If you're going to say 'if someone did this or that' then everything might aswell be banned, right?
S.olk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Isn't part of British culture to be tolerant and accepting of every way of life?
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by S.olk)
Isn't part of British culture to be tolerant and accepting of every way of life?
it is, but part of british culture is also about not hiding your identity in public, doing so makes people often feel threatened.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Better ban sunglasses-hat-scarf combos
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Better ban sunglasses-hat-scarf combos
that is a rare thing indeed, i would move to ban all face coverings in public regardless of religion.
username3037548
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it is, but part of british culture is also about not hiding your identity in public, doing so makes people often feel threatened.
give me an example of one time, a lady wearing the niqab doing anything 'threatening' on British soil?

I could say people half-dressed on a 'hot' day are a security risk as well......
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ozilll)
give me an example of one time, a lady wearing the niqab doing anything 'threatening' on British soil?

I could say people half-dressed on a 'hot' day are a security risk as well......
There are three examples of using the niqab as a means to hide ones identity to carry out crimes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2Ju8P6wW4

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-stolen.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...convicted.html
username3037548
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are three examples of using the niqab as a means to hide ones identity to carry out crimes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2Ju8P6wW4

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-stolen.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...convicted.html
disregarding the victoria secret article for a second, you can't blame the niqab. they were all men using the niqab as a way to hide their identity - the niqab was just convenient for them- if we ban the niqab they'll just use a substitute.

with regards to the victoria secret article, I can't argue against, assuming the attacker was muslim.

nonetheless, banning the niqab will just demonstrate how inter-twined this country's definition of the freedom of religion actually is.
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ozilll)
disregarding the victoria secret article for a second, you can't blame the niqab. they were all men using the niqab as a way to hide their identity - the niqab was just convenient for them- if we ban the niqab they'll just use a substitute.

with regards to the victoria secret article, I can't argue against, assuming the attacker was muslim.

nonetheless, banning the niqab will just demonstrate how inter-twined this country's definition of the freedom of religion actually is.
freedom of religion without infringing on other people's rights. the niqab is not even required in islam. it is a choice to wear it.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Better ban cars then to stop them being used in getaways. What percentage of crimes involve using a niqab? I thought people could wear what clothes they wanted in the UK?
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Better ban cars then to stop them being used in getaways. What percentage of crimes involve using a niqab? I thought people could wear what clothes they wanted in the UK?
lets play silly buggers.

they can, within reason.
username3108158
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
freedom of religion without infringing on other people's rights. the niqab is not even required in islam. it is a choice to wear it.
Some Muslims believe that it is required. Some don't, but say it is highly recommended.

I mean, you would hate it if someone took something important to you away, wouldn't you hun?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
lets play silly buggers.

they can, within reason.
You said it was a secuirty risk, when it clearly is not.
Why do you think you have the right to tell other people what to wear?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.03%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.39%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (22)
17.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.06%

Watched Threads