This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should the niqab be banned in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
i like you

haha thanks 😊
Original post by Josb
Political uniforms. (As I already said in other threads, I precisely consider the burqa to be a political uniform.)

Except there is no legal precedent to say that it is. Good luck with your private prosecution, but until then its perfectly legal; to wear. Just vecause you say so as respected as you might be , doesnt make it so.
Original post by Josb
It's apocryphal.

Yes, widely attributed to Voltaire but not sure what the true origins are
Reply 63
Original post by Josb
Political uniforms. (As I already said in other threads, I precisely consider the burqa to be a political uniform.)

Political uniforms?
I think it should be banned. It's a security risk as you don't know who's actually under it. Plus, it prevents successful integration into British society and also looks scary- I remember seeing a kid at the supermarket scream cause he turned around and saw a woman in a niqab. He probably thought it was a Dalek or something lol
Reply 65
Original post by GreenBell
Political uniforms?

The Public Order Act of 1936 banned political uniforms in order to fight against the British Union of Fascists who wore black shirts. The Act played an important part in their defeat.
It is still in use today.
Reply 66
Original post by 999tigger
Except there is no legal precedent to say that it is. Good luck with your private prosecution, but until then its perfectly legal; to wear. Just vecause you say so as respected as you might be , doesnt make it so.

I know that my opinion doesn't count, but the law can be changed, you know. If there was a referendum on the subject, I'm sure it would.
Original post by Josb
I know that my opinion doesn't count, but the law can be changed, you know. If there was a referendum on the subject, I'm sure it would.

Good luck with the revolution or getting elected.
Reply 68
Good luck with the revolution or getting elected.

Were you as arrogant and sure of yourself when Brexit was announced? Things can change.
Original post by Josb
Were you as arrogant and sure of yourself when Brexit was announced? Things can change.

You are the one making claims not me. Until you are capable of adding something of substance then your points dont add anything. It boils down to the same old you dont like Muslims rhetoric and you would change the laws to ban and or deport them if you could.

People are going to happily were the clothes they want unless the law says otherwise. You talk about changing the law, well good luck with that.
Reply 70
You are the one making claims not me. Until you are capable of adding something of substance then your points dont add anything. It boils down to the same old you dont like Muslims rhetoric and you would change the laws to ban and or deport them if you could.

People are going to happily were the clothes they want unless the law says otherwise. You talk about changing the law, well good luck with that.

What claims do I make?
Original post by Trapz99
I think it should be banned. It's a security risk as you don't know who's actually under it. Plus, it prevents successful integration into British society and also looks scary- I remember seeing a kid at the supermarket scream cause he turned around and saw a woman in a niqab. He probably thought it was a Dalek or something lol

Wow that statement is so ignorant
Original post by S.olk
Isn't part of British culture to be tolerant and accepting of every way of life?

Do you mean the cultural ideal or the way society behaves and has behaved historically?

Anyway it appears that bans are legal and fair under EU law -
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/01/france-burqa-ban-upheld-human-rights-court.

If you read through the article you would note that they want to foster a spirit of togetherness and want to ensure that people can make eye contact. Because eye contact (of any sort) is key to making people feel a sense of belonging.
Original post by Trapz99

Criminals will be criminals regardless of what they wear.
If the kid screamed, don't blame the religious person... blame his parents for not educating him about religion
Original post by Meany Pie
it is a security risk and not in keeping with our culture.

'Our culture'.

Now before I state what I am about to state I will say that I am English, I was born in England and my family for several generations is English. Some Irish when you get so far back.

What exactly is our culture? Our culture initially began with the first settles on this island. It then grew with invasions. Vikings, Romans, Anglo-Saxons etc.

Our culture is nothing to do with this island. It is an international mixture.

If you know your history then you will be aware of the prosecution of both protestants and Catholics throughout English history, dependent on the monarch at the time. Now the question is, why does that not continue today? That is because we decided that every person should have the ability to freely choose a religion to follow if any at all. This does not just apply to Christianity/Catholicism.

It is the right of any person to wear any clothing specific to their religion as so they choose.

If you want to go around banning religious wear then ok. Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides a right to freedom of thought, conscious and religion.

Based on the above in regards to Article 9, you are revoking a human right by banning religious wear.
Original post by Josb
The Public Order Act of 1936 banned political uniforms in order to fight against the British Union of Fascists who wore black shirts. The Act played an important part in their defeat.
It is still in use today.

Religious wear is not political.
Original post by TraineeBMS
'Our culture'.

Now before I state what I am about to state I will say that I am English, I was born in England and my family for several generations is English. Some Irish when you get so far back.

What exactly is our culture? Our culture initially began with the first settles on this island. It then grew with invasions. Vikings, Romans, Anglo-Saxons etc.

Our culture is nothing to do with this island. It is an international mixture.

By your logic no culture has anything to do with the land in which it is based. All countries have had immigration over the generations.

British culture is a mixture of historic norms, traditions, people and art associated with the country of Britain (and England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) and also international influences largely brought in by the Empire and then modern immigration.

It is the right of any person to wear any clothing specific to their religion as so they choose.

If you want to go around banning religious wear then ok. Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides a right to freedom of thought, conscious and religion.

Based on the above in regards to Article 9, you are revoking a human right by banning religious wear.

Say I loosely interpret some text within one of the Abrahamic religions to mean that public nudism is a requirement. Should I be banned from walking around naked? Is that not "revoking a human right" under your argument?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zeus007
Meh what even is the British way of life? Getting drunk and eating fish and chips? There is no culture here.

What a stupid comment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Meany Pie
it is, but part of british culture is also about not hiding your identity in public, doing so makes people often feel threatened.

You won't let me wear a hat and scarf in the winter? What about hoodies?
This ban for intergration argument is bullsshit.

No law forces you to comply with the culture.

Latest

Trending

Trending