The Student Room Group

Never understood why someone would pay for spotify..

When you can listen to it free on youtube. I dont see the value in paying £9.99 pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Got Milk
When you can listen to it free on youtube. I dont see the value in paying £9.99 pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just use the free version of spotify. Also my friend gave met her login details and told me to make my own playlist :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If no one paid for music how much do you think would be made?
yeah ikr.
pirate life
Original post by Got Milk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Better sound quality, playlists, no adverts, dont need access to the internet or uses less bandwidth.
Reply 5
Student discount at £5 a month.
Reply 6
I'm usually of that mindset, but with Spotify premium I can save playlists to listen offline and it's just more convinient tbh :dontknow:
Original post by CurlyBen
If no one paid for music how much do you think would be made?

I dont give a shet mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you ever tried to use YouTube on your phone? It's an absolute nightmare. You can't minimise it and the sound quality is poor.

I barely use Spotify but it takes me about 40 minutes at work to earn enough to pay the monthly fee. It's hardly extortionate.
Reply 9
I use Spotify free. Don't even care about the ads really.
Original post by sr90
Have you ever tried to use YouTube on your phone? It's an absolute nightmare. You can't minimise it and the sound quality is poor.

I barely use Spotify but it takes me about 40 minutes at work to earn enough to pay the monthly fee. It's hardly extortionate.

You can minimise it on iphone with no issues, sound quality is fine for non-hipsters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lots of reasons.

1) It only costs £5pm on student discount, not that much at all.
2) You don't need internet access as you can download the songs for offline use.
3) On the mobile, youtube will stop playing once you lock the screen, so you need to leave the screen on and drains the already rapidly deteriorating smart phone device (doesn't matter what phone you have, they're all shite)
4) It is quick and easy to find a song and save it to listen to offline. If i wanted to do that without spotify I would need to go online at home on my laptop, find the mp3/download the youtube audio and upload it onto my ipod, takes time, then I also have to go and edit the artist name, song title etc, takes more time, artwork even longer.
5) Coming off the last point, ipods these days are :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:. No longer can you pick up a reliable mp3 player for <£200 and easily store 64/120GB of music without the device :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: itself or the battery just about playing a full playlist before it dies. Ipods now are essentially just smart phones without the phone, not very smart if you ask me. Spotify was the best replacement for itunes+ipod classic when mine stopped playing to one earphone. It was just a stop gap though, I went through the pain of opening the device up to replace the headphone jack to fix it. Spotify was ok for on the go, but I have a huge music collection and simply there are no replacements for the ipod classic in that field.
(edited 6 years ago)
Really?

Spotify is a must-have subscription service for any regular listener of music. YouTube uses lots of mobile data, has sluggish controls for music, requires the screen to always be on, and is way more compressed.
Original post by ThatsTheRealDeal
Really?

Spotify is a must-have subscription service for any regular listener of music. YouTube uses lots of mobile data, has sluggish controls for music, requires the screen to always be on, and is way more compressed.

Well the OP is clearly not a regular listener of music. They are probably the type of person who will happily click on the generic current new top 40 entry that comes up on the youtube home page if you aren't signed in, and just let the autoplay spout out all the crap of the day from there. It is this sort of attitude that led to the discontinuation of the ipod classic.

And yes, I am very bitter about how current music trends and really screwed over anyone with more than 16GB of music.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Well the OP is clearly not a regular listener of music. They are probably the type of person who will happily click on the generic current new top 40 entry that comes up on the youtube home page if you aren't signed in, and just let the autoplay spout out all the crap of the day from there. It is this sort of attitude that led to the discontinuation of the ipod classic.

And yes, I am very bitter about how current music trends and really screwed over anyone with more than 16GB of music.

believe it or not youtube has a search function.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cba to convert 1000s of songs to then transfer them to my phone when i can just pay the tiny amount to get all the songs i want direct to my phone.
Community playlists are another big feature not mentioned already. I like the stuff people put together and update and you don't get that with YouTube.

I also like Spotify Discover for listening to new music. YouTube tends to recommend stuff like what I've already listened to so you get stuck in a bubble.
Reply 17
Why would anyone pay for anything? I can pirate any movie I want, any song I want, any tv show I want.
Soundcloud and Spotify combo is the way to go.

Youtube hasn't got good quality music and is limited due to the copyright system.

Also AdBlock
Original post by D.Va
Why would anyone pay for anything? I can pirate any movie I want, any song I want, any tv show I want.

Thief I hope they catch you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply