2017 Election: June 8th Watch

sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which of the parties standing are you going to be voting for and why?

Who do you think will win and why?
JamesDavies99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will need to see their manifestos, but looking likely Conservative for me, purely because I don't believe that JC will provide Britain with the strength it needs during the upcoming Brexit negotiations.

Oh and as for the result? Conservative landslide I predict, with June 8th marking the last day the RH Jeremy Corbyn lead the labour party.
Recessio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Liberal Democrats - with the Conservatives essentially becoming UKIP, and Labour being the most ineffective opposition in political memory currently, I don't really have another choice. Jeremy Corbyn just rolled over and gave a blank cheque to the Tories to negotiate Brexit with no checks or balances, and I can't forgive him for that; the government needs to be democratically accountable - the Lib Dems are the only party where I live that are fighting for that right, and to keep Britain a tolerant, united country.

I think the Tories will likely retain a majority, but whether Labour will do as badly as expected, or if the Lib Dems surge more than expected? I just don't know. I imagine the SNP will keep it's stranglehold on Scotland though.
E102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am definitely voting SNP but would also like to see the greens do well

I think for Scotland SNP will still be the majority but for the rest of the UK who knows, I would hope labour would get it but I highly doubt it
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JamesDavies99)
Will need to see their manifestos, but looking likely Conservative for me, purely because I don't believe that JC will provide Britain with the strength it needs during the upcoming Brexit negotiations.

Oh and as for the result? Conservative landslide I predict, with June 8th marking the last day the RH Jeremy Corbyn lead the labour party.
There are more than two parties, James, Labour and the Tories are just the two extremes
james813
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Eilidhsimon)
There are more than two parties, James, Labour and the Tories are just the two extremes
Not really, they are mostly full of career politicians who don't actually care what difference they make, just want the title and money. If you want change, vote for someone else
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to UK Politics!
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by james813)
Not really, they are mostly full of career politicians who don't actually care what difference they make, just want the title and money. If you want change, vote for someone else
Yeah that's what I mean, if you want change vote for someone else, the country has and is not going to get anywhere with the tories and probably not labour either, we have to change the people we vote for (as long as it's not UKIP lol)
.A_C.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am definitely voting SNP but would also like to see the greens do well

I think for Scotland SNP will still be the majority but for the rest of the UK who knows, I would hope labour would get it but I highly doubt it
Labour are most certainly not getting it, even if they campaign 24/7 until June 8th. Also, I think the SNP are still going strong, but many seats are vulnerable:

- Aberdeenshire http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/s...cies/S16000078 . Please see this link where the tories gained from the SNP, as lib dems and labour voters went to the tories to topple the SNP.

- Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, the SNP only won by 300 votes!! Very vulnerable indeed! I think the tories definitely have this seat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwic..._constituency)

- Dumfriesshire and Galloway, big gap here but the CON's gained from LAB in Scottish parl election, and in 2015 SNP gained.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/s...cies/S16000097 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumfri..._constituency)

Better get campaigning, otherwise SNP will lose out to some embarrassing gains to the tories. Also lib dems could gain in places like fife where they traditionally have done well, perhaps they could hold Orkney and Shetland and quite possibly Charles Kennedy's old seat Ross Skye and Lochaber.
.A_C.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Recessio)
Liberal Democrats - with the Conservatives essentially becoming UKIP, and Labour being the most ineffective opposition in political memory currently, I don't really have another choice. the Lib Dems are the only party where I live that are fighting for that right, and to keep Britain a tolerant, united country.

I think the Tories will likely retain a majority, but whether Labour will do as badly as expected, or if the Lib Dems surge more than expected? I just don't know. I imagine the SNP will keep it's stranglehold on Scotland though.
I think you are right that the Lib Dems will come back - but I wouldn't say a big surge is on the table for another few elections yet - just take a look at 2010 (seems like a long time ago now!) when the press used the term 'Cleggmania' and Lib Dems seemed to be at their strongest for a long time, but they only took 57 seats, compared to 62 in 2005 when Charles Kennedy was boss.

I think some LAB voters will swing to lib dems who don't like JC leadership. You are correct about the SNP, but please take a look at my previous post above on this thread with some Scottish seats very vulnerable to the tories (this was seen in the 2016 scottish parl election where the tories came 2nd - please see link for more info : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotti...election,_2016. I expect some SNP losses, but certainly not stronghold seats like Angus where I live. (That's why I tactically vote tory because they always come 2nd here).

marking the last day the RH Jeremy Corbyn lead the labour party.
I wonder if JC will resign if the CON's manage to pull off a massive landslide and a big swing from LAB to CON? Take a look at the link below to some really alarming data for the Labour party - only a few percentage point swings in these seats will allow the tories to sweep away the opposition. I think they will manage to do this quite well, providing campaigning is strong and nothing major happens before election.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015gui...ative-targets/
james813
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah that's what I mean, if you want change vote for someone else, the country has and is not going to get anywhere with the tories and probably not labour either, we have to change the people we vote for (as long as it's not UKIP lol)
Why do you say that about UKIP? They have been unfairly demonised and have an ignorant reputation as being racist, but if you actually listen to what they say, it makes a lot more sense than any other politicians.
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by james813)
Why do you say that about UKIP? They have been unfairly demonised and have an ignorant reputation as being racist, but if you actually listen to what they say, it makes a lot more sense than any other politicians.
Oh god I ain't even going to go into this😶...
WelshboyBrandon_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sulaimanali)
Which of the parties standing are you going to be voting for and why?

Who do you think will win and why?

Only the Conservative Party have promised to make sure that not only will Brexit happen, but that they’ll secure a good deal for all of Britain. Whereas with Labour, we see no clear plan or aims for any potential negotiations if they were to somehow win this election. Whether it’s controlling immigration, securing new trade agreements with other countries or taking control of our own laws, Theresa May is the only woman who has promised to secure these vital things that under a year ago Britons convincingly voted for in the EU Referendum.
james813
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh god I ain't even going to go into this😶...
Please do. I'm genuinely interested. Otherwise I shall assume you have no reasons.
damidude
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I don't see how you can say that given the spluttering start to Brexit negotiations that we've seen with TM. I'm unsure about Labour as a whole, but if I had to chose a candidate to fight for me personally, I'm convinced that Corbyn would absolutely not accept any position from the EU which would threaten the public integrity of the NHS, workers rights and education.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (281)
60.82%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.76%
No- I want it (125)
27.06%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.36%

Watched Threads