The Student Room Group

Accepted into RVC for Veterinary Medicine 2017/2018 entry, anyone else?

Applied for graduate entry (4 years) but got accepted into RVC for Veterinary Medicine D100 2017/2018 entry ( 5 years), anyone else?

I'm so excited and impatient to start, yet incredibly nervous

Is there a facebook group, i'd like to get to know people on my course?

Can any current students shed some light about what books we should buy, and what the first terms modules are like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm staring in September too! I'm on a gap year - got a deffered entry after last year!

Super excited but also really nervous! I spoke to our vet the other day (a recent grad) and she said it was WILD and she'd do anything to go back. She also said Mary B is the best accommodation, just incase you wanted to know!
Have you heard anything else about accommodation I have an offer for September and I can't decide as the deadline for application is tomorrow I really don't know what to do!!
Reply 3
I applied for the 4 year graduate course but was accepted onto the 5 year course instead! Ive also applied for Mary B for accommodation!

Getting very nervous now!!
Congrats. You will love it. My partner has just passed her finals in the four year G&T's and enjoyed every minute. Great staff and support, brilliant location and off campus facilities and friends you will meet who will stay friends a lifetime - enjoy the journey 😊
Hi there

I'm applying to RVC this year for the graduate accelerated program so thought I'd join the group! I am just about to graduate from a 2-year Master program in arctic animal physiology here in Arctic Norway but am British and completed my BSc(Hons) in Zoology at St Andrews in 2015....so I'm a bit of a late starter to the vet world! Did you apply for both D100 and D102 or did they automatically transfer you to D100 for those that were? And am I correct in thinking that the BMAT is no longer required for RVC (as of 2016 I believe, despite what UCAS states)?

Also any advice based on the application / interview process would be sincerely appreciated!

Cheers :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Soph_ellen
Did you apply for both D100 and D102 or did they automatically transfer you to D100 for those that were?
If you don't get in to D102 they will transfer you. :smile:

And am I correct in thinking that the BMAT is no longer required for RVC (as of 2016 I believe, despite what UCAS states)?
Indeed, all of the vet schools have dropped use of the BMAT now.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
If you don't get in to D102 they will transfer you. :smile:

Indeed, all of the vet schools have dropped use of the BMAT now.

Thanks very much for confirming! Much appreciated :smile: how did you find the interview process in general?
They changed it for this year btw...
From RVCs website:
"In order to be considered for the 5-year BVetMed programme (D100), you will need to make a separate application specifically to that programme. You are welcome to apply to both versions of the course (D100 and D102) but note this will take up two of your choices on UCAS."
Oops - missed that. Thanks indeed!
Original post by Nessie162
They changed it for this year btw...
From RVCs website:
"In order to be considered for the 5-year BVetMed programme (D100), you will need to make a separate application specifically to that programme. You are welcome to apply to both versions of the course (D100 and D102) but note this will take up two of your choices on UCAS."

Oh, my mistake, thanks for the heads up!
Hey- I am currently doing Zoology at St. Andrews and I've got two years to go but will then apply to Vet Med. Did you apply after your BSc or did you decide to first do your masters?
there

I'm applying to RVC this year for the graduate accelerated program so thought I'd join the group! I am just about to graduate from a 2-year Master program in arctic animal physiology here in Arctic Norway but am British and completed my BSc(Hons) in Zoology at St Andrews in 2015....so I'm a bit of a late starter to the vet world! Did you apply for both D100 and D102 or did they automatically transfer you to D100 for those that were? And am I correct in thinking that the BMAT is no longer required for RVC (as of 2016 I believe, despite what UCAS states)?

Also any advice based on the application / interview process would be sincerely appreciated!

Original post by tommulder1994
Hey- I am currently doing Zoology at St. Andrews and I've got two years to go but will then apply to Vet Med. Did you apply after your BSc or did you decide to first do your masters?

Hi! Congrats on St Andrews, best 4 years of my life I finished up there and then was a little unsure of the next step but wanted to be an international student and live in another country for a while, so ended up in Norway working with the polar institute on walruses! Becoming a vet has been a long-time coming for me but I wanted to be absolutely sure and had the luxury of time. Now I plan to work for this year to help me fund RVC if I get in...but no idea of my chances!
What A levels did you all take to be accepted and what kind of enrichment and work experience did you do?
Original post by Leilaadlam
What A levels did you all take to be accepted and what kind of enrichment and work experience did you do?

For RVC, you need to take biology and chemistry to A level. Any third academic subject is suitable, and there isn't one that gives an advantage over another. Personally I did physics and loved it, but I know people who did maths, geography, history, English literature, PE, psychology, sociology and RS as their third subjects.

Work experience wise, you need at least four weeks worth; two in vet practice and two in husbandry. I have what I did listed at the bottom of my profile if you're interested.

For extracurriculars, I did Bronze DofE, NCS/The Challenge, Explorers, Young Leaders, University of the Third Age (teaching elderly people to use computers), volunteering at a local festival, I was the editor of the school science journal, and I had a Jack Petchey award and a Junior Sports Leaders Qualification.
Reply 15
Hi there

ONLY JUST SAW ALL THESE REPLIES!! SORRY FOR LATE RESPONSE

I only applied for D102 with the knowledge that they automatically consider you for D100, but I thought I had no chance as I didn't hear back from them for ages

The graduate entry does not require BMAT but the interview process is designed in such a way to test the same skills.

Advice mmm.. Make notes during your work experience and try and learn as much as you can from it. You'll probably be asked about it. Read a few papers on veterinary topics and try to keep up to date with veterinary news. Ask the vet you do work experience with loads of questions and ask them about CPD as they usually cover interesting topics.

Also I've been doing lots FREE of veterinary related mini courses on Coursera.
Reply 16
Thanks very much for confirming! Much appreciated :smile: how did you find the interview process in general?

The interview was challenging but great. Everyone is so nice there and the facilities are amazing. I'm a very nervous person and the whole process really put me at ease.

The interview is split into mini interviews, They are one on one so I suppose thats far less nerve wracking then going up against a panel. There is also a group exercise. Everyone will begin talking over each other desperate to express their thoughts in the short time you're given and so make sure you express your opinion, at the same time make sure to properly listen to your peers and make sure everyone gives their input.

Make sure you make the most out of your work experience and ask the vets lots of questions.
Original post by panda007
The interview was challenging but great. Everyone is so nice there and the facilities are amazing. I'm a very nervous person and the whole process really put me at ease.

The interview is split into mini interviews, They are one on one so I suppose thats far less nerve wracking then going up against a panel. There is also a group exercise. Everyone will begin talking over each other desperate to express their thoughts in the short time you're given and so make sure you express your opinion, at the same time make sure to properly listen to your peers and make sure everyone gives their input.

Make sure you make the most out of your work experience and ask the vets lots of questions.

Thank you that's really great advice! I think I've been a bit annoying with the amount of questions I've asked (oops) so hopefully I've got that covered :biggrin:. I have a full-time job lined up for this year in a veterinary practice so hopefully I can pick up something new each day and maximise my chances. Thanks for the tip about the group work, I thought that might be the case so it's a good thing to prepare for and totally understandable of course. What was you previous degree in? Fingers crossed I get to the interview in the first place!
Received an interview invitation for the 1st December :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by panda007
Applied for graduate entry (4 years) but got accepted into RVC for Veterinary Medicine D100 2017/2018 entry ( 5 years), anyone else?

I'm so excited and impatient to start, yet incredibly nervous

Is there a facebook group, i'd like to get to know people on my course?

Can any current students shed some light about what books we should buy, and what the first terms modules are like?

Hey! Can I ask, do you know why they didn’t accept you for grad entry but did for the 5 year course? I’ve just applied for both so interested to know why they give you an offer for the 5 but not the 4 year course

Quick Reply