The Student Room Group

Anyone else think the world would...

Be so different if you were a lot more attractive... I just think it would be so much more enjoyable and you would feel so much confident. It can just get frustrating like at school and uni when people are in relationships and stuff but no one has ever liked you :/ like all my friends always have girls who like them and I kinda feel left out. Worst thing is trying to approach girls as I normally get way to shy so never even do, like throughout the whole first yr I wanted to talk to this one person but just never did because I thought she would think less of me.

But seems as though from my experience at uni when I see other unattractive guys & girls they just get ignored/ strange look even when just introducing themselves on the first days to course mates being friendly, whereas if a good looking person went to just say hey how are you, they would act so different.(I agree it's human nature, but still kinda sucks) even simple stuff such as walking down the streets or in the library, it must be nice people actually just thinking that guy looks good and people who've experienced that feeling must feel great!

Really can be a cruel world, I get particularly frustrated from the fact that My parents are very good looking and my sister is too. The there's me who always looks way out of place out of us 4 and you wouldn't have even guessed I was in the family :/ my dad even said this once but he was more referring to cause I'm just a different skin colour to them rather than being ugly. (At least I'm the brainy one which has counted for absolutely nothing in my 19 year s of life this far 😂😭)

Like at least for unattractive people with parents or their grandparents who don't look then you would be understanding but when the above happens then you reaally just feel like you've been so unlucky and just give up with life.
Like what's the point of a good education degree ect ect. I think the most important part of life is surely finding someone who loves you? everything else seems pretty minor tbh but I guess most people only realise this when they're slightly older and when younger they just rightly enjoy life.

Legit I think you learn a lot about yourself when you're not good looking and you treat others better so that's the only one advantage, think many people would agree say you were reborn and good looking I would treat everyone with respect.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this or can relate?
Yes, I agree, it can help you in life quite a bit from what I can see and there is no consoling that - you can only work with what you've got and as contrived as it sounds, the other things that you can change and improve on.

But yes... being attractive must be nice :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Yes, I agree, it can help you in life quite a bit from what I can see and there is no consoling that - you can only work with what you've got and as contrived as it sounds, the other things that you can change and improve on.

But yes... being attractive must be nice :smile:

Yeah completely agree
i think that attractive people tend to be more confident and therefore it seems like it's because they're attractive that people treat them better but i believe it's just confidence and character that dictate how people treat you. How you treat others is based on upbringing and not whether you think they're better looking or not, in my opinion. :smile:
Ngl I know being attractive can make life even just a little bit more bearable
Reply 5
Original post by DancingGroot
i think that attractive people tend to be more confident and therefore it seems like it's because they're attractive that people treat them better but i believe it's just confidence and character that dictate how people treat you. How you treat others is based on upbringing and not whether you think they're better looking or not, in my opinion. :smile:

That's actually refreshing to hear and pretty true I think too as well. Like one of my friends who is a very good looking guy doesn't even act like it, he'll still treat everyone equally.
Reply 6
Original post by emerald7770
Ngl I know being attractive can make life even just a little bit more bearable

It just seems very benifical tbh, would you say you've been treated different because you're good looking/not? Also how much does it effect your confidence
Original post by Anonymous
It just seems very benifical tbh, would you say you've been treated different because you're good looking/not? Also how much does it effect your confidence

If I'm brutally honest right now, I'd say quite a lot. Definitely, I got bullied by some who insulted how I looked. It was never about how I looked to other people, it was if I felt good about myself. How you think about yourself is far more important then what others think of you. You know?
Reply 8
Original post by emerald7770
If I'm brutally honest right now, I'd say quite a lot. Definitely, I got bullied by some who insulted how I looked. It was never about how I looked to other people, it was if I felt good about myself. How you think about yourself is far more important then what others think of you. You know?

Yeah that's very true, I'm always here if you want someone to talk to btw! Will pm you know :smile: but to be honest for me how others think about me kind of shapes how I think of myself, like if they kinda mock me then I struggle to think f myself as good enough
Yeah that's very true, I'm always here if you want someone to talk to btw! Will pm you know :smile: but to be honest for me how others think about me kind of shapes how I think of myself, like if they kinda mock me then I struggle to think f myself as good enough

The people you have in your life impacts your mental health so much!!!! They could absolutely crush your self esteem. Thanks so much, I'm always here too:smile: you can always pm me aha
Being attractive isn't 'all that'. As long as you're average you can work with what you have.
Original post by BioStudentx
Being attractive isn't 'all that'. As long as you're average you can work with what you have.

Honestly how can you tell if your average tho, like I've never explicitly been called ugly before but I've understood by now I'm clearly not a 7,8,9 or 10 by the kind of snide comments I've recieved from friends. But generally they're just very good looking so it's hard to tell if I'm just average or people really do think of me as unattractive.
Honestly how can you tell if your average tho, like I've never explicitly been called ugly before but I've understood by now I'm clearly not a 7,8,9 or 10 by the kind of snide comments I've recieved from friends. But generally they're just very good looking so it's hard to tell if I'm just average or people really do think of me as unattractive.

Most people are average but they can become better looking through looking after their body and dress sense, like a 5 can go to a 7 just by dressing and doing their hair better although i don't like scales its just for an example. I find very few people that are 'ugly' just based on appearance, most people just look normal.
I think the most important part of life is surely finding someone who loves you? everything else seems pretty minor tbh but I guess most people only realise this when they're slightly older and when younger they just rightly enjoy life.

Actually, speaking as a man of 30—who, while no oil-painting, is quite markedly better-looking now than at any point in his youth—I've discovered quite the reverse: the most important part of life is, by means of assiduously cultivated introspective and autonomous pursuits, to bring about a stable, self-sufficient 'emotional baseline' such that romantic relationships no longer preoccupy your every waking moment, but rather can be created or extinguished without duress.

After all, as my dating profile states at the door: "Self-love is always the strongest negotiating position."
Original post by Profesh
Actually, speaking as a man of 30—who, while no oil-painting, is quite markedly better-looking now than at any point in his youth—I've discovered quite the reverse: the most important part of life is, by means of assiduously cultivated introspective and autonomous pursuits, to bring about a stable, self-sufficient 'emotional baseline' such that romantic relationships no longer preoccupy your every waking moment, but rather can be created or extinguished without duress.

After all, as my dating profile states at the door: "Self-love is always the strongest negotiating position."

It's made a whole lot harder to love yourself I believe tho when others don't love you(placing emphasis on looks here)

It's a good point and it can be difficult to judge. Pm if you want an honest opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest