The Student Room Group

Loud constant noises from my stomach!

i've had this just at the start of my year 9 year...it began when i was hungry in a test then BOOM my stomach started uncontrollably rumbling, for what felt like 5mins, ever since that day i have been getting non stop rumbling from my stomach. Sometimes, but not constant, i get little pain in my lower stomach (almost like something is punching me) the rumbling occurs before and after i eat, in the morning and night and especially in quiet rooms!! In tests i do at school, i ask my teacher to sit outside so i don't therefore distract myself and others from the constant growling sounds coming from my stomach, i've also been to a doctor about this but they said it's because i am skinny and average size and says it's normal but this does not seem normal and is very embarrassing . I began to think it's because i lost weight throughout high school therefore you can hear the stomach noises much clearer but i doubt that. i honestly can't cope anymore with this as i'm beginning to get stressed a lot easily and maybe a little anxiety which both does not help with this situation, due to this being embarrassing to me and i'm sure a li if others i have to make excuses sometimes to not go school or do not meet up with my friends and to go sleepovers because it's embarrassing!!! anyways if there's anything to help me at 14 years of age please reply :frown: i'm sick of this cutting contact with everyone...
Reply 1
Original post by ellabella122
i've had this just at the start of my year 9 year...it began when i was hungry in a test then BOOM my stomach started uncontrollably rumbling, for what felt like 5mins, ever since that day i have been getting non stop rumbling from my stomach. Sometimes, but not constant, i get little pain in my lower stomach (almost like something is punching me) the rumbling occurs before and after i eat, in the morning and night and especially in quiet rooms!! In tests i do at school, i ask my teacher to sit outside so i don't therefore distract myself and others from the constant growling sounds coming from my stomach, i've also been to a doctor about this but they said it's because i am skinny and average size and says it's normal but this does not seem normal and is very embarrassing . I began to think it's because i lost weight throughout high school therefore you can hear the stomach noises much clearer but i doubt that. i honestly can't cope anymore with this as i'm beginning to get stressed a lot easily and maybe a little anxiety which both does not help with this situation, due to this being embarrassing to me and i'm sure a li if others i have to make excuses sometimes to not go school or do not meet up with my friends and to go sleepovers because it's embarrassing!!! anyways if there's anything to help me at 14 years of age please reply :frown: i'm sick of this cutting contact with everyone...

Maybe you have a bit of a gut issue like IBS or a food sensitivity? Maybe you are hungry and need to eat more or change timings?
Could be worth having a chat to a doctor again if it is bothering you, especially since it seems to happen weather you eat or not and include at least some level of pain/ discomfort. As well as asking why it may be happening, ask if there is anything you can do to help it (sometimes they forget about that bit). Tell them just how much it bothers you too so they don't dismiss it as a little issue.
Also, have a think about how your bowel habits are and if there are any other odd signs. You could even try a food diary to see what you eat when and when you have the issues. Maybe you'll notice a pattern.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kindred
Maybe you have a bit of a gut issue like IBS or a food sensitivity? Maybe you are hungry and need to eat more or change timings?
Could be worth having a chat to a doctor again if it is bothering you, especially since it seems to happen weather you eat or not and include at least some level of pain/ discomfort. As well as asking why it may be happening, ask if there is anything you can do to help it (sometimes they forget about that bit). Tell them just how much it bothers you too so they don't dismiss it as a little issue.
Also, have a think about how your bowel habits are and if there are any other odd signs. You could even try a food diary to see what you eat when and when you have the issues. Maybe you'll notice a pattern.

Good luck :smile:

thanks for the help and i'm not sure if it's to do with my diet because my diet hasn't changed throughout the years, i'm healthy but fussy!! i exercise 2-4 a week...but thanks for the advice
My sister had this issue, she went to the hospital to get it checked out, turns out she was allergic to gluten, so basically any wheat based product. She eats mostly gluten free things now and the issue has completely stopped. It can often run in the family too so if your parents or even grandparents have had it you could be more at risk.

I'd get it checked out anyway, its not a bad thing to have to eat gluten free things, I find it quite tasty!

- Adam

I doubt it's anything other than exam season stress which is compounded by self-consciousness causing an unbalance in your digestive system. You said yourself you are stressed out.

Are you eating properly and is your diet healthy?

Talk to your pharmacist who will point you to any number of a suitable products to alleviate the condition.

It's highly unlikely to be anything else but can be very uncomfortable if it gets out of hand.

NB If you lose weight suddenly or notice blood in your stool or have difficulty swallowing, then consult your doctor immediately.
Reply 5
thanks for the help and i'm not sure if it's to do with my diet because my diet hasn't changed throughout the years, i'm healthy but fussy!! i exercise 2-4 a week...but thanks for the advice

Things like intolerances can develop over time so you could have new issues without a new diet. You would probably notice some sort of bowel movement related issues too though. Still, it could be worth trying cutting out some of the usual culprits for a while to see if it changes anything. Maybe try a month avoiding gluten and a month avoiding dairy etc. You could also try a food diary to see if there are any patterns.

Still it's probably most likely to be a mix between your weight which doctors have already mentioned and maybe some anxiety. Anxiety can have a surprising number of physical symptoms, including some involving the gut.

Whatever the case, good luck. I imagine this must be really frustrating for you :smile:
Original post by Bigstreet
My sister had this issue, she went to the hospital to get it checked out, turns out she was allergic to gluten, so basically any wheat based product. She eats mostly gluten free things now and the issue has completely stopped. It can often run in the family too so if your parents or even grandparents have had it you could be more at risk.

I'd get it checked out anyway, its not a bad thing to have to eat gluten free things, I find it quite tasty!

- Adam

thank you so much adam for this advice i will try even though, i gotta say i do have a lot of gluten!! :frown:( so like you said i might ask about this and try gluten free stuff :smile: thank you so much
Original post by Kindred
Things like intolerances can develop over time so you could have new issues without a new diet. You would probably notice some sort of bowel movement related issues too though. Still, it could be worth trying cutting out some of the usual culprits for a while to see if it changes anything. Maybe try a month avoiding gluten and a month avoiding dairy etc. You could also try a food diary to see if there are any patterns.

Still it's probably most likely to be a mix between your weight which doctors have already mentioned and maybe some anxiety. Anxiety can have a surprising number of physical symptoms, including some involving the gut.

Whatever the case, good luck. I imagine this must be really frustrating for you :smile:

thank you for the advice i'm trying literally ANYTHING from these past few months! i've been trying to get out of scilent rooms to "go toilet" and rustle papers! :frown: so yes it is very stressful...thank you so much by the way i hope your advice helps me
Original post by uberteknik
I doubt it's anything other than exam season stress which is compounded by self-consciousness causing an unbalance in your digestive system. You said yourself you are stressed out.

Are you eating properly and is your diet healthy?

Talk to your pharmacist who will point you to any number of a suitable products to alleviate the condition.

It's highly unlikely to be anything else but can be very uncomfortable if it gets out of hand.

NB If you lose weight suddenly or notice blood in your stool or have difficulty swallowing, then consult your doctor immediately.

i guess the stress does not help AT ALL!! because yes i'm just scared my stomach will go off in tests and the lessons itself! i've been to a doctor when it's just started but she said nothing was wrong but there definitely is!! and it's making me feel uncomfortable in social meet ups etc but thank you for you advice i hope it helps me and many others!
i haven't tried any of theses suggestions yet...but i am hopefully heading to the doctor! soon to hopefully see if they say anything helpful towards this nightmare!! Literally as i am writing this my stomach is constantly gurgling and churning and growling like i can feel the movement of nothing, is so annoying and makes me so upset i cannot live the NORMAL life i want :frown: of course i won't let it control my life but the fact i'm living with this daily it just is a pain and embarrassing in having to sit in a classroom trying to hold back such an embarrassing noise that you can't help by your scarf or rustling papers is not only distracting to me...but to others to! i just want to be free from this :'( and live a normal and happy life with this nky to deal with...today it was really bad (wednesday 26th april 2017) but tomorrow i have the feeling it's going to be the worst, especially when mostly ALL my lessons on a Thursday are silent :frown: i am beginning to find i am so scared of a silent room right now, i would change anything to get rid of what ever is making these horrible and embarrassing noises from my stomach, i just need to get rid of it please!! i'm begging :'(

Latest