The Student Room Group

To apply or not to apply

that is the question.

I was planning to apply York for Music whose offer is usually ABB but after I got BCDD at AS, I don't know. I really like to York course for music but if I am going to find it impossible to get in, I would rather use that option for a university I have a shot at.

I'm planning to 'cash-in' my D in Business as resitting would require redoing the whole year which on top on 3 A levels would be a headache.
I also decided upon at least 5 resits but I have to wait for my french appeal to come back before I know if I'm resitting another exam.

oh well...what do you think?
Reply 1
you might as well go for it, you never know how many people will apply to do music. It might not be many and they ned to fill Uni spaces so thats what i'd do.
Reply 2
Go for it, but get a back up uni. You have 6 choices, remember.
Reply 3
i think music is one of the more popular subjects, so getting into a prestigious uni like york, which also has one of the best departments in the country, will be tough. york also want grade 8 theory before you start the course tho - this is putting me off, because even tho the exam wont be a prob, i hate doing theory and i get the impression the course is full of it! most places want an A in music A2 too. if youre really good at performing try a conservatoire, i dont know how good you have to be, but i did my grade 8 in april and im being told to apply, since theyre outside of ucas and so you might as well!
Go 4 it! Im looking to apply for music too. Thinking abt Royal Holloway, Durham, York etc. What did you actually get for music? Think you will improve on that grade? The music course at York is very popular, but sounds so good because of the modular scheme. You do need the A to be in Music.
I forgot the whole theory issue with York. They told me via e-mail though that should I apply and I had the right predicted grades from my teachers that I may be asked to an interview.

I'll apply because I have to fill up my opinions do I? and even if I'm not accepted I'll have tried.

I'm average at performance but I play 3 instuments (piano grade 8, violin grade 5 and clarinet grade 4) my school believes that would be a big help as I've no major performance achievements.

So far, I have chosen Cardiff, Sussex, York and Bristol. The others I had chosen were either impossible to get into (and actually told me so) or were very rude to me on the phone/e-mail.
I'm sorry to be negative (and I'm no expert so feel free to ignore my comment) but I don't think you have much of a chance. When it asks for ABB, it actually means they want ABB and I doubt they'd be convinced that you are such a candidate when they look at your UCAS form at your AS grades.

You'd need to go up a whole grade in EACH subject. How do you know you will do THAT much better in your resits? I don't know, if you were to apply, you'd have to be positive that you will get ABB. So are you?
a_musical_gal
I forgot the whole theory issue with York. They told me via e-mail though that should I apply and I had the right predicted grades from my teachers that I may be asked to an interview.

The interview at York was a bit of a joke. They asked ffor essays and a composition which i brought along and then the guy had a brief look and gave them back to me. I asked him if he wanted to keep them and read them and he said no which i thought was a bit rude. Then I had to play a piece which he stopped me half way through and finally he played some intervals on the piano which were all pretty straightforward. I cannot see what he did that would have told him if I was suitable for the course or not.

MB
dieeiervonsatan
I'm sorry to be negative (and I'm no expert so feel free to ignore my comment) but I don't think you have much of a chance. When it asks for ABB, it actually means they want ABB and I doubt they'd be convinced that you are such a candidate when they look at your UCAS form at your AS grades.

You'd need to go up a whole grade in EACH subject. How do you know you will do THAT much better in your resits? I don't know, if you were to apply, you'd have to be positive that you will get ABB. So are you?

Bearing in mind, I have an appeal in French which has yet to come back and that the exam board has stated that all grades should go up for my school due to errors in marking, I'm praying my overall is going to go up too. Nobody can be 100% sure about anything and I'd rather go for it than wonder what might have been if my A levels end up meeting requirements.

I am just going to hit them with the best possible personal statement I can manage and pray and maybe grovel.

Latest