My college has put a ban on external candidates after I succeeded very well Watch

Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have passed several examinations as an external candidate for a vocational qualification of Further Education and the teachers do not like I succeed well without attending their lessons and as a consequence my college has suddenly put a ban on external candidates without any good reasons.

My college was offering this service for many years and I would like to know if the college should have acted reasonably and if it has not done so if I can complain to its funding body for this reason.

If the college without acting reasonably can stop a service that it was offering for many years and which was very useful to people on low income who cannot afford to pay tuition fee we will be in a dictatorship like North Corea

Even if my college is independent it is nevertheless not a private company and a public body should act reasonably and in the interest of the public which funds it

The issue is the way that this has happened because the college has stopped this service that it was offering for many years just after I succeeded very well as an external candidate.
Moreover this decision is not about a day to day trivial matter because it has serious consequences for members of the public on low income and all important decisions taken by a college should be reasonable
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by profile)
I have passed several examinations as an external candidate for a vocational qualification of Further Education and the teachers do not like I succeed well without attending their lessons and as a consequence my college has suddenly put a ban on external candidates without any good reasons.

My college was offering this service for many years and I would like to know if the college should have acted reasonably and if it has not done so if I can complain to its funding body for this reason.

If the college without acting reasonably can stop a service that it was offering for many years and which was very useful to people on low income who cannot afford to pay tuition fee we will be in a dictatorship like North Corea

Even if my college is independent it is nevertheless not a private company and a public body should act reasonably and in the interest of the public which funds it

The issue is the way that this has happened because the college has stopped this service that it was offering for many years just after I succeeded very well as an external candidate.
Moreover this decision is not about a day to day trivial matter because it has serious consequences for members of the public on low income and all important decisions taken by a college should be reasonable
You dont sound like you know the reason. Have you talked to the college?
You do repeat yourself several times.
I dont believe a college is required to offer examinations for external candidates, some do and some do not. You cannot force them to.
You could make an enquiry/ complaint abut the decision. First to the college and then to the skills funding and education agency or whatever its called now.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by profile)

You sound very arrogant. You've decided this was all about you - and this attitude probably showed in your dealings with the centre. It's likely they decided that offering private candidates was to much hassle so have stopped it. They don't have to offer this service. You can either find a new centre or decide not to take exams. But you can't complain as there's nothing to complain about.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
Btw it isnt your college as you don't attend. I doubt very much the decision is based on your results and is more likely that it is uneconomical and too much work for them to offer the facility.
Rep:
?
I have already made a complaint to the college and they do not say that they have stopped accepting external candidates because it was uneconomical to the contrary the college receives examination fee from me and I sit at the same time as the internal candidates

The first reason put forward by the college is that that they cannot guarantee the success of a candidate without the support of a tutor which is arrogant and not a good reason because the college has never had an obligation to guarantee the success of candidates. It is well known that not all candidates always passed. Moreover I have proven that I can pass examinations without the support of tutor as an external candidate.

The second reason put forward by the college is that it does not offer this program as distance learning and I am expected to attend lessons before sitting examinations. This reason is also no good because this was known by the college for many years and this did not prevent the college from accepting external candidates.

Therefore the college has not put forward the real reason and as a consequence we have to conclude that the real reason is this that I put forward which could not be an acceptable reason in a country which is a rules of law.
We have to understand the teachers which is the point that they prepare lessons and teach them if a candidate sits all examinations without attending any of their lessons and without being tuition fee.

The college accepted external candidate and took their money when most of them failed but when me I passed my examinations as an external candidate it has banned external candidates which is morally wrong.

Moreover the fact that the college in its reasons makes reference to me being expected to attend lessons shows that I am right to say that the teachers did not like I succeeded very well sitting examinations as an external candidate and that is the real reason for the ban on external candidate

First the teachers smirked at me when I sit as an external candidate and after when I passed they look at me in a nasty way

The college has a duty to act reasonably in any circumstance and we do know the reason for this ban on external candidaes because all the reasons put forward by the college were known by the college for many years

Anyway the funding body can only make recommendation to the college and I would like it recommends it to lift this ban on external candidates

I prefer sit as an external candidate in this college because a part of my examination is manually marked by a centre far away and I would like to sit at the same time as the internal candidate so that the markers do not notice that I am an external candidate so that they are not negatively influenced against me in their marking.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The fact that most people fail shows that the college's reasoning is correct. So you have even less reason to complain
Rep:
?
In this case it is up to the college to ban students who fail too often as external candidates from sitting again as external candidates but I do not see which reason could have the college to punish hard working candidates like me who succeeded very well sitting as external candidates from carry on passing examinations as external candidates.

When I say that most of the external candidates fail it was a supposition but not a certainty what I meant is that I do not think that they succeeded as well as me as external candidates because me I succeeded very well which makes me angry because I cannot carry on in the same way

There is another issue is that irrespectively of whether or not the college can do what it wishes and behaves or not like a dictator without taking any account of the interest of the candidate the college has a duty to properly handle a complaint i.e. to say the real reason why it put this ban on external candidates which it has not done. So if the funding body forces the college to say the truth as the real reason for this ban is morally wrong it will have to lift this unfair ban on external candidates
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
Your reasoning is very wonky. The college can decide its own policy how to run itself. It has the option of whether to offer the facility to take external candidates. They have chosen not to. They don't owe you anything. You would be better served just finding another test centre. Plenty of colleges do not take external candidates. You seem to think they owe you a duty when imo they do not. You have just been lucky thus far to take advantage of the cheap rates on offer.

If you are going to complain then I would suggest a more diplomatic style might get you further than your current stance.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But if they ban people who fail, that person has already failed.and made the college look bad. Failing will affect the college's performance on league tables. It is much better for the college to stop people before they have failed.

The college does not have to handle a complaint if that complaint makes no sense. If you actually believed that you'd complain to Tesco, because they also don't offer private candidates!
Rep:
?
According to your reasoning if the college wants to maintain a good performance rate it will be better for it to carry on allowing me to sit as an external candidate because so far I have performed well as an external candidate.

We have to take into account also that according to public law any public body has a duty to act in the interest of the public and to properly justify any decision it takes which can be against the interest of the public. As I say the college is not a private company
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
9.52%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
7.94%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
23.81%
No and I wouldn't consider it (37)
58.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise