The Student Room Group

How many A-levels should I take?

I'm starting A-levels next year and really want to do the following subjects:
English lit and lang
Graphic Design
Politics
History

However because you can no longer get UCAS points from an AS, the college I'll hopefully be attending said that gif you are to take 4 A-levels then you cannot drop them halfway through. Is it worth doing 4? I really want to do those 4 subjects, so if anyone takes any of them please could you also tell me the pros and cons of that subject and what you think I should do :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CinnamonSmol
I'm starting A-levels next year and really want to do the following subjects:
English lit and lang
Graphic Design
Politics
History

However because you can no longer get UCAS points from an AS, the college I'll hopefully be attending said that gif you are to take 4 A-levels then you cannot drop them halfway through. Is it worth doing 4? I really want to do those 4 subjects, so if anyone takes any of them please could you also tell me the pros and cons of that subject and what you think I should do :smile:

3 is more than sufficient.

It's uncommon to do 4, unless you are doing Maths & FM. Even then 3 is still sufficient in most cases.

Don't underestimate the workload needed to do justice to 4 A-levels. It's all about quality not quantity: AAA is better than AABB, and much better than ABCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im doing 4 AS levels and the workload is fine, I will be doing 3 A2s hopefully. And I do 3 of the subjects you listed xD I enjoy History and politics but not english (mostly because im not as good at it)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3

By the way, you can still get UCAS points from the AS if you don't continue it to full A-level. But UCAS points aren't an option for many universities/courses. And, yes, not all schools now offer AS exams anyway.

It's up to your school to set its own policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Start with 4 and you may find that there is 1 that you don't like or find really hard, which you will then be able to drop. Everybody starts with 4 I my school, most people do a AS and 3A2s, but we can drop one early or continue with 4 next year. This gives you more leeway.
Reply 5
Original post by IssyCon
Start with 4 and you may find that there is 1 that you don't like or find really hard, which you will then be able to drop. Everybody starts with 4 I my school, most people do a AS and 3A2s, but we can drop one early or continue with 4 next year. This gives you more leeway.

Many schools no longer allow this. It seems the OPs is one of them.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Im doing 4 AS levels and the workload is fine, I will be doing 3 A2s hopefully. And I do 3 of the subjects you listed xD I enjoy History and politics but not english (mostly because im not as good at it)

What would say is the hardest and also most boring out of History and Politics? Can't seem to find anyone who can give me pros and cons for both subjects
Original post by Doonesbury
Many schools no longer allow this. It seems the OPs is one of them.

We're able to change subject a few weeks into college however this doesn't contribute to UCAS and is a bit of a waste of time
Original post by Doonesbury
3 is more than sufficient.

It's uncommon to do 4, unless you are doing Maths & FM. Even then 3 is still sufficient in most cases.

Don't underestimate the workload needed to do justice to 4 A-levels. It's all about quality not quantity: AAA is better than AABB, and much better than ABCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Problem is, I don't know what I want to do after college and after looking at the topics, English, Politics, History and Graphic Design are areas I probably will want to go into and I'm depending on A-levels to help me realise what I want to do. I'm willing to work hard for them, work every week from beginning of Year 12 if I have to, but then, as you said, there's a big workload.

I'm just torn between the subjects that I love the most and don't know which one to ditch :frown:
What would say is the hardest and also most boring out of History and Politics? Can't seem to find anyone who can give me pros and cons for both subjects

History is technically supposed to be harder and it depends for some people. Imo you need to just have the technique down with practice and know the content then you are set.

Govpol is easier but this may change as you are new spec next year.

I don't find either boring tbh
Honestly, I'd choose to do 3. You're expected to do 5 hour of independent study a week per subject, so doing 15 hours a week for 3 A levels should be sufficient, any more than that and you'll either struggle academically or struggle socially or lose sleep. Most unis don't bother with 4 a level entry requirements, unless you're doing Maths and FM that is. If I was in your position, I deffo would just go with 3 as you'll only be creating more work for yourself for no reason really. :smile:
Problem is, I don't know what I want to do after college and after looking at the topics, English, Politics, History and Graphic Design are areas I probably will want to go into and I'm depending on A-levels to help me realise what I want to do. I'm willing to work hard for them, work every week from beginning of Year 12 if I have to, but then, as you said, there's a big workload.

I'm just torn between the subjects that I love the most and don't know which one to ditch :frown:

And although here you've said you're willing to work every week for 2 years, that's a huge target to set yourself, you'll be mentally exhausted by the time exams come round. If you;re unsure on what subjects to choose, look at the spec at your chosen college and weigh up which one seems more interesting/manaegable. It's about picking what you enjoy and what will get you your future job, whilst creating less work for yourself if possible.
You can get ucas points. It's worth taking four incase you dislike one and need to drop a subject, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I am currently studying at AS level. I originally started off the year taking 4 AS levels but I found the work load was too great. (I'm sure you have already heard that A level is a jump from GCSEs which is very true!!) I started off taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Physics.

I found that taking 4 sciences was too much but I know people that take 3 and Maths and manage to balance things out more evenly. Basically the only thing I would say is that you have to have a conversation with a teacher (probably a form tutor?) and see what they say about you taking 4 AS's.

It also depends on hobbies and things that you are committed to outside of school. If you want to continue these you may have to think about the work load that you would get from 4 AS levels.

I have heard that History and English Lit have a large work load so be aware!!

Hope this helps :wink:
I'm taking four, and I regret if but if I hadn't the last option I chose, I wouldn't have done (if that makes sense) and It's my favourite subject. I take history, economics, maths and law.I think I am only going to do AS law because the workload is so stressful. I've had a fair share of stressful, emotional and awful times, sometimes I cry because it's that difficult. I know other friends and people who handle four perfectly fine, however, I cannot cope.
It depends on the workload you can cope with, and if you have enough self-discipline to do the work, and study etc.
History is a good subject, my homework is few and far between, but if you can't remember fact I would advise against it.
History
PROS: Interesting, very respected subject for a university, essay based subject useful for many jobs, helps build independent and analysis skills, helps develop debating skills also.
CONS: A lot of content to memorise, source analysis (which I struggle to do), arguing counterpoints,

TAKING FOUR A-LEVELS
PROS: Stand out from other applicants, more subjects, more knowledge, wide variety, don't have to narrow choice as much, which I struggled with.
CONS: mostly stressful, heavy workload, hardly any free periods with friends, and when you do they are spent studying, hard to prioritise, could forfeit 3 top grades for four mediocre ones,
:smile:
is doing BTEC business and history a good idea to do in college?
i mean unless you really enjoy it...
i do 4 as levels rn, with art and i'm stressing out rn. can't get my revision done.
Original post by Zozaaaa
Honestly, I'd choose to do 3. You're expected to do 5 hour of independent study a week per subject, so doing 15 hours a week for 3 A levels should be sufficient, any more than that and you'll either struggle academically or struggle socially or lose sleep. Most unis don't bother with 4 a level entry requirements, unless you're doing Maths and FM that is. If I was in your position, I deffo would just go with 3 as you'll only be creating more work for yourself for no reason really. :smile:

damn 5 hours a week per subject? Wow. I'm starting to get drawn towards picking 3 subjects now....
Original post by louisaah
i mean unless you really enjoy it...
i do 4 as levels rn, with art and i'm stressing out rn. can't get my revision done.

How much work/pages of sketchbook are you expected to do per week?
Original post by AKA2234
is doing BTEC business and history a good idea to do in college?

This is what I've hear, but quite a lot of people encourage A-level History and Business because apparently it looks better? Just what I heard tho

Quick Reply

Latest