The Student Room Group

How many A-levels should I take?

Scroll to see replies

Do 4 at AS, then drop one at A2. This allows you to chose the subject that you don't like, and then drop it, whilst still retaining 3 A-Levels. Having 3 A-Levels is the most common number
Original post by Zozaaaa
And although here you've said you're willing to work every week for 2 years, that's a huge target to set yourself, you'll be mentally exhausted by the time exams come round. If you;re unsure on what subjects to choose, look at the spec at your chosen college and weigh up which one seems more interesting/manaegable. It's about picking what you enjoy and what will get you your future job, whilst creating less work for yourself if possible.

Thanks for your advice, I may wait until I have a taster day and decide which course I like the best :smile:
Original post by Epitype
Do 4 at AS, then drop one at A2. This allows you to chose the subject that you don't like, and then drop it, whilst still retaining 3 A-Levels. Having 3 A-Levels is the most common number

My college is not allowing me to drop any courses after first year as we no longer get UCAS points from AS levels
3, 4 is not fun throughout it especially with the new system. Do you choose to do an EPQ in year 2?

Btw normally taking 4 A levels at AS was to give you some variety in the case you weren't sure what you wanted to take later on so you could drop a subject that you didn't need.
Original post by CinnamonSmol
My college is not allowing me to drop any courses after first year as we no longer get UCAS points from AS levels

Are you sure, I'm pretty sure you still get points. Have a check on the UCAS website because that doesn't seem right.
Reply 25

You do still get UCAS points for AS levels, if you don't take the subject to full A-level. e.g. 20 points for an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is what I've hear, but quite a lot of people encourage A-level History and Business because apparently it looks better? Just what I heard tho

kk thanks, the responses really helped
It depends if this was A-level history? If so I would recommend either sticking to all btecs or all A-levels, as mixing them means then that uni offers are based on a points tariff, which if university is an option for you, seriously limits the number you can go to and the courses you can do. :smile:
Original post by AKA2234
is doing BTEC business and history a good idea to do in college?
Just do three, if your school doesn't enter you for the AS exams then there's no point.
How much work/pages of sketchbook are you expected to do per week?

This is totally dependent on the subject you pick. For example, I do biology and psychology, both of which I tend to write 15 sides of notes on at least per week after lesson, whilst health and social is coursework based but for my exam I only have about 10 pages of notes in total. For the more harder a levels, the more work you're going to have to do and more notes to memorise.

Eg. Biology is 20% recall, 10% maths and 70% application. This means you'll need to know all of your notes in order to apply it plus maths skills. Good luck choosing your a levels, just think do you want to do 3 good a levels or 4 average
I'm starting A-levels next year and really want to do the following subjects:
English lit and lang
Graphic Design
Politics
History

However because you can no longer get UCAS points from an AS, the college I'll hopefully be attending said that gif you are to take 4 A-levels then you cannot drop them halfway through. Is it worth doing 4? I really want to do those 4 subjects, so if anyone takes any of them please could you also tell me the pros and cons of that subject and what you think I should do :smile:

I did 5 in AS and got BCDDD.....tried to take all 5 into A2 but pretty much got forced to drop one and ended up getting BDEE....Please do 3 unless you're some mega genius....don't end up like ol' Ash8991

Edit: Well, I was doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology which are regarded as being the hardest A level subjects
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zozaaaa
This is totally dependent on the subject you pick. For example, I do biology and psychology, both of which I tend to write 15 sides of notes on at least per week after lesson, whilst health and social is coursework based but for my exam I only have about 10 pages of notes in total. For the more harder a levels, the more work you're going to have to do and more notes to memorise.

Eg. Biology is 20% recall, 10% maths and 70% application. This means you'll need to know all of your notes in order to apply it plus maths skills. Good luck choosing your a levels, just think do you want to do 3 good a levels or 4 average

I meant for Art sorry :smile: (so glad I am not doing any sciences!)
Original post by Ash8991
I did 5 in AS and got BCDDD.....tried to take all 5 into A2 but pretty much got forced to drop one and ended up getting BDEE....Please do 3 unless you're some mega genius....don't end up like ol' Ash8991

Edit: Well, I was doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology which are regarded as being the hardest A level subjects

Damn, that sounds so stressful :O
They're so hard!! That's why I got myself an apprenticeship after trying A-Levels for two months. If you're dedicated though, 3 is plenty. You'll find 4 to be too much at times.
Thank you to everyone who replied, will be giving rep don't worry! Your deeds have not gone unnoticed :biggrin:
3 is enough
Original post by Epitype

Some colleges don't let you do this anymore, mine makes you carry them all on
I'm starting A-levels next year and really want to do the following subjects:
English lit and lang
Graphic Design
Politics
History

However because you can no longer get UCAS points from an AS, the college I'll hopefully be attending said that gif you are to take 4 A-levels then you cannot drop them halfway through. Is it worth doing 4? I really want to do those 4 subjects, so if anyone takes any of them please could you also tell me the pros and cons of that subject and what you think I should do :smile:

I do not take any of the subjects myself, but i have close friends who do English and history. They say that they do enjoy the subjects, but they are both heavy essay writing subjects and can be quite time- consuming. People who are taking 4 A-levels with the new changes generally find it harder to organise their time and do get quite stress easily, but it is definitely not impossible.
How much work/pages of sketchbook are you expected to do per week?

for art? for me it's never been about the pages, but more of the quality and what you put in it to make it link all together. my class is pretty much a mess so we are as unorganised as each other, so i don't really keep track of the stuff we have to do. they give us a plan for what we're gonna do, so sometimes it's a lot for a week. honestly if you do about one hour of the work everyday, it's p easy to get through. i'm just a mess LOL

but really they don't expect us to do any specific page a week, that's not really how it works in general. i've done graphics as well during gcses and i'm sure i had less but in the end achieved an A. i had less of art than everyone else for my coursework this year and also got an A. this doesn't mean you shouldn't try
if you're planning to do edexcel history and english lit, along with the graphics, i pray for you. a lot of work lol

Quick Reply

Latest