Harrio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Test tomorrow and I have just found out about a new list of words to revise. About 2 pages long. Any advice?
Boswell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Implementing your words is the best way
SophieXXXOO
Report 2 years ago
Are you sitting the 2017 Aqa French GCSE??
SophieXXXOO
Report 2 years ago
Please can you post an image of the new vocab?x
Harrio
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieXXXOO)
Are you sitting the 2017 Aqa French GCSE??
No, just French work for class. Name:  IMG_1367.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  522.4 KB
Harrio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Boswell)
Implementing your words is the best way
Sorry I'm confused by that.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Harrio)
Test tomorrow and I have just found out about a new list of words to revise. About 2 pages long. Any advice?
Don't try to learn two pages of new vocab out of context the night before an exam! Not sensible in the slightest.
Harrio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Don't try to learn two pages of new vocab out of context the night before an exam! Not sensible in the slightest.
So you are implying I should leave it?
studentdying999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh, I'm doing the exact same work. I'd recommend looking at the words in French and covering the translation for each word and testing yourself on the translation this way - and vice-versa English to French if needs be. If you get any words wrong after testing yourself the first time, test them again and again until you know them.
Harrio
Rep:
?
(Original post by studentdying999)
Oh, I'm doing the exact same work. I'd recommend looking at the words in French and covering the translation for each word and testing yourself on the translation this way - and vice-versa English to French if needs be. If you get any words wrong after testing yourself the first time, test them again and again until you know them.
Yeah I'm doing that. 😂
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes. You shouldn't really learn vocab out of context anyway, because it doesn't stick very well. I think if you try to learn a list of words like this in so very little time you could end up confusing yourself about other words you can only just remember - i.e. you'd end up in a worse position than before.

You could try narrowing down the list to maybe 20 or so of the ones you think are most important/useful, but I would personally accept it was too late now to do something like learn new vocab and use the time to practice what I did know.
studentdying999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is just my opinion, but I don't think it usually matters if the words are out of context when you revise them before the test - if you recognise them during the test they will be more helpful than not revising them at all and knowing the words will help you gain more knowledge on the topic of what you read, etc.
Harrio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Yes. You shouldn't really learn vocab out of context anyway, because it doesn't stick very well. I think if you try to learn a list of words like this in so very little time you could end up confusing yourself about other words you can only just remember - i.e. you'd end up in a worse position than before.

You could try narrowing down the list to maybe 20 or so of the ones you think are most important/useful, but I would personally accept it was too late now to do something like learn new vocab and use the time to practice what I did know.
Ok thanks a lot
Harrio
Rep:
?
(Original post by studentdying999)
This is just my opinion, but I don't think it usually matters if the words are out of context when you revise them before the test - if you recognise them during the test they will be more helpful than not revising them at all and knowing the words will help you gain more knowledge on the topic of what you read, etc.
Got it XD
Harrio
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieXXXOO)
Just memorise it; get some hours of sleep now so that you have energy and then wake up at about seven or so and chuck the vocab up into sections. Work through each section of the vocab bit by bit and perfect it until it's like second nature. Don't joke around with your academics, just memorise the vocab.
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed