Turn on thread page Beta

Hey, any advice would be appreciated... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Just came on here for some advice really. I don't visit that often but from my limited experiences i have found the people here to be quite helpful. Anyway!..
    Got my AS grades today, and well they werent as good as i had hoped...

B - Biology (Modules AAE (how the hell that happened i DO NOT know...))
    C - Chemistry (Modules ACD)
    C - Physics (Modules CCC)
    B - General Studies (Modules...who gives a damn its an irrelevant qualification anyhow...)
    U - Maths (Modules EDU) 1 mark off an overall E

I want to study genetics/biochemistry but im a bit stuck now, because i was planning on applying to one ABB course, 3/4 BBB courses and 1/2 BCC/CCC courses. I know i can make a final A-level offer of BBB, ive just had personal problems this year (i know its a bad excuse, but its the best i can give). My current plan is to retake most of the dud modules in January and also retake AS maths out of college with the help of a tutor (in the hope of getting a C). I am quite sure that if i work hard, i can secure at LEAST BBB average from those exams, but of course i have to apply for places before that. Ive got what i think is a fairly reasonable personal statement, ive done relevant work experience at a cancer genetics department for CRUK and also a microbiology laboratory.

So anyway, my main question...is there any point in me applying for BBB courses, could i get a conditional place on a BCC? Can i help myself by emailing the admissions tutors at all and explaning my situation but expressing my deep interest in their subject?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this, and any advice would be much appreciated.

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickyrkenya)
    My current plan is to retake most of the dud modules in January and also retake AS maths out of college with the help of a tutor (in the hope of getting a C). I am quite sure that if i work hard, i can secure at LEAST BBB average from those exams, but of course i have to apply for places before that.
    (emphasis mine)

There is no obligation to apply before you get your results. If you cannot get the predictions you want/need, then your best option would be to apply after your results.

You could phone around in the summer/autumn after you get your results and ask to look at departments/unis who would also be able to give rough indications. There may also be something in clearing that interests you. I applied knowing my results, and when speaking to people the reactions ranged from "See you in october" to "Hmmn, send us a UCAS anyway".

ReputationRep:
    hmm, isnt that very risky though?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.