Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Product Design Innovation Challenge 2017 Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing the Innovation Challenge on the 2nd of May 2017?
    If so what do you think they could ask us to do from the theme:

-Entertainment is an activity that holds the attention of an audience and provides enjoyment. The most common forms often involve music, drama or dance, and this can be on a small or large scale.

I think seating, recycling, shelter, security and signage could all be potential questions.

Also what are you putting into your job bag?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pdddd)
    Is anyone doing the Innovation Challenge on the 2nd of May 2017?
    If so what do you think they could ask us to do from the theme:

-Entertainment is an activity that holds the attention of an audience and provides enjoyment. The most common forms often involve music, drama or dance, and this can be on a small or large scale.

I think seating, recycling, shelter, security and signage could all be potential questions.

Also what are you putting into your job bag?

So i'm sitting the challenge on the 2nd of may and i agree bins, seats and shelters are likely to come up . I wouldn't worry about what will come up just put a varied amount in your job bag.

Stuff like inspiration and joints stuff that you can cut out and put in your job bag
    hope that is helpful

what preparation have you done for session 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaphoramy)
    So i'm sitting the challenge on the 2nd of may and i agree bins, seats and shelters are likely to come up . I wouldn't worry about what will come up just put a varied amount in your job bag.

Stuff like inspiration and joints stuff that you can cut out and put in your job bag
    hope that is helpful

what preparation have you done for session 2
    Our class hasn't done any preparation for session 2 we'll be going over it in the 2 weeks we have after the innovation challenge. What preparation have you done?

To prepare my job bag I've made mood boards on pretty much everything that I think could be a question, and I'm doing sketches of some general ideas of seating, shelters etc.

It's worth looking at the June 2009 paper, the theme was festivals and events which could potentially be very similar to our paper

Also what sort of ideas have you got for seating, shelter, bins etc.
    I've been thinking about collapsible seating and portable bins.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Number ur spec points so u just have to put down the number when refering to them and not the whole point

ReputationRep:
    a portable stage is coming up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12345yfdsfgn)
    how do u know

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking the innovation challenge as I was unprepared last year and as a result I got a D. This year I'm aiming for at least an A overall for A level Product Design and I would like to get at least a B in the innovation challenge retake, so I have done a lot of revision. I will share with you you what I have done.

As I did very badly last year I payed to get my paper back to see what went wrong and I have used it to make sure I don't make the same mistakes. I know most of you will be first timers (not including GCSE as it's slightly different) so won't have this benefit but your job bag is as important as ever. Last year I thought prepared myself well but I lost a lot of marks on annotation and the making. Therefore this year I will putting the following in my bag:

- Inspiration - I have gathered products associated with Entertainment; cinema seating, architecture for theaters and cinemas etc and various bins and shelter products. Try to get as many as possible and have a variation of designs.

- Anthropometric data - It will be very good to refer to any anthropometric data you have as this will show that you have further understanding and knowledge of dimensions.

- Material properties - Try to gather information on metal, wood and plastic properties so that you can elaborate in your annotations. You won't get many marks if you only state which material you would use. You should explain why that particular material is suitable for your product.

- Material Joints - Just like with material properties, it's also good to say which joint you would use. Get information on metal, wood and plastic joints.

- Textbook - If you have the OCR Design and Technology A Level book there are 25 pages worth of information for the innovation challenge. Use them, they are very detailed and I am so happy that I have the textbook because of this.

- Mind Map - At the beginning of the exam you will have to mind map around the theme which in this case is Entertainment. In the short amount of time you have, it's very difficult to fill it up quickly so do it before the exam. I have already done it so when it comes to the exam tomorrow, I will just copy it and as it's very detailed, I should get a lot of marks. Try to consider WHO the theme is for (Kids, Disabled etc), WHAT comes under the theme (Music, Gaming etc), WHERE you would get the theme (Festivals, Cinema etc) and which PRODUCTS you'd associate with the theme (Bins, Seating etc). This is all covered in the textbook as well.

- Copy of the mark scheme - Just type into Google (other search engines are available ) OCR A level innovation Challenge Mark Scheme and it should be the first one on the list. Keep this next to you for the whole of the exam. You can see what the examiners look for in the higher mark bands.

In the making part of the exam, DON'T make your prototype too small. It should be big enough to see all the aspects of your product. If you have any mechanisms show a basic version of it on the prototype but also make a more detailed one separately so that the examiner can easily work out what's going on.

These are links possible things you can include in your job bag if you can't find anything:
    - Mark Scheme - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/67116-m...ge-january.pdf
    - Plastic Properties - https://www.ryedale.gov.uk/attachmen...ymer_types.pdf
    - Metal Joints - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...intsrev4.shtml
    - Wood Joints - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...siverev3.shtml
    - Adhesives - http://penyrheol-comp.net/technology...-Adhesives.pdf

I'm really sorry I've posted this 1 day before the exam but hopefully everything I have mentioned will help you with the exam! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12345yfdsfgn)
    Really? There isn't much room for creativity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pdddd)
    Really? There isn't much room for creativity
    I agree with you it probably wont be staging, i think it might be something to encourage recycling at events or something thgat will make events more interactive etc.

ReputationRep:
    also to get full marks on the evaluation page a good layout is to divide it into three section one is where u make a table and compare ur design to all the spec points and analyse if it met them etc second section on strenghts and weaknesses and third on further improvments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Realm)
    I agree with you it probably wont be staging, i think it might be something to encourage recycling at events or something thgat will make events more interactive etc.
    Yeah definitely, I hope it is something to do with recycling as I have some good ideas for bins. It's also not come up in a couple of years so it's a good bet.

Could potentially be seating for a large amount of people to view events, seating did come up recently though.

I've also prepared for shelter and points of sale for merchandise etc.

What sort of product could make events more interactive? I agree it could definitely be this though

ReputationRep:
    An important thing to do is to make sure that the 3 designs you sketch are all functionally different, the examiner reports say that they all have to be functionally different to get full marks.

Also colour coding key annotation points under things such as materials, manufacture and sustainability - makes it easier for examiner to see what you've talked about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pdddd)
    Yeah definitely, I hope it is something to do with recycling as I have some good ideas for bins. It's also not come up in a couple of years so it's a good bet.

Could potentially be seating for a large amount of people to view events, seating did come up recently though.

I've also prepared for shelter and points of sale for merchandise etc.

What sort of product could make events more interactive? I agree it could definitely be this though
    Nice what ideas do u have for the recycling i think its quite tough as bins are pretty box standerd, in terms of interactive products it could be things like binoculers that allow the audience to engage from a distance or something like food trays that make life easier for the viewers as that can be a hassle at event. They could also ask us to make something disposable as that has been popular in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pdddd)
    An important thing to do is to make sure that the 3 designs you sketch are all functionally different, the examiner reports say that they all have to be functionally different to get full marks.

Also colour coding key annotation points under things such as materials, manufacture and sustainability - makes it easier for examiner to see what you've talked about
    True also for box 13 its best to make a table with the following four sections for full marks:
    Procces Materials Machinery Time

ReputationRep:
    Nice what ideas do u have for the recycling i think its quite tough as bins are pretty box standerd, in terms of interactive products it could be things like binoculers that allow the audience to engage from a distance or something like food trays that make life easier for the viewers as that can be a hassle at event. They could also ask us to make something disposable as that has been popular in the past.
    I've looked at bins which are portable, so basically all the parts can be taken apart or the bin can be collapsed so individuals can carry it around with them.

Also I've looked at bins which are interactive, turning throwing litter away into a game. Seen bins which light up when you throw things away or have sounds which draw peoples attention to them etc.

The 2009 paper is festivals and events which sounds very similar to our theme, they asked for disposal barbecues.

ReputationRep:
    For my job bag i have taken a selection of past papers and taken the best answers for each question and put them into a booklet. i will be using them as a template for my answers.

ReputationRep:
    For the specification it's really important to focus on function, users, materials, manufacture, size and weight. According to past exam reports using things such as CAFE QUE to come up with spec points actually isn't the most useful thing, it's better to have detail on the above points.

ReputationRep:
    For my job bag i have taken a selection of past papers and taken the best answers for each question and put them into a booklet. i will be using them as a template for my answers.
    That's a really good idea! I have mood boards on basically every possible idea I can think of and sheets on plastics, woods, metals, manufacturing etc.
    Also have useful sheets on solar panels, lightbulbs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pdddd)
    I've looked at bins which are portable, so basically all the parts can be taken apart or the bin can be collapsed so individuals can carry it around with them.

Also I've looked at bins which are interactive, turning throwing litter away into a game. Seen bins which light up when you throw things away or have sounds which draw peoples attention to them etc.

The 2009 paper is festivals and events which sounds very similar to our theme, they asked for disposal barbecues.
    That sounds great what about seating i have looked at portable and foldable seating but i dont think it will come up as it came up last year also seating at events is normally layerd and theres not much we can do design wise in that regard.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.