The Student Room Group

Return of depression with return of uni

I'm currently on a course that I'm not enjoying. I enrolled on the course as I've been recovering from ill health and I needed to get back into the real world after several years out, and I also needed some experience of study in order to get on the kind of uni course that I want to be on.

I now have unconditional offers for the course I want to be on, but I obviously don't want to just give up the course I've been studying all year. I only have 5 weeks left of this course but classes start again on Thursday and I can feel my depression creeping back. I thought I was making progress with my depression, but it turns out that I was probably just feeling less depressed because I didn't have to think about this course.

I've kept up with my assignments throughout but I have one due for next Sunday that I haven't started yet, and don't even want to think about starting, and I know I have at least 4 assignments plus a work placement to complete alongside my studies before I will have passed. I just don't know how to motivate myself or gather up the energy to do it. The work placement is very dull most of the time - scanning makes up a large part of it, as well as 'research' and my eyes are so tired of staring at databases. It feels doubly frustrating to have to sit through classes and complete assignments when I have a reading list for my desired course to work through that I'm actually excited about.

I should add that I am on anti-depressants (I finally opted to try them about 6 months ago) and I'm also on medication recommended by my doctor to try and tackle my PMS, which seems to be a huge trigger for my depression, but still the depression comes back. I think it's more situational than anything - so, ideas on how to lessen the situational depression when I can't currently change my situation?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently on a course that I'm not enjoying. I enrolled on the course as I've been recovering from ill health and I needed to get back into the real world after several years out, and I also needed some experience of study in order to get on the kind of uni course that I want to be on.

I now have unconditional offers for the course I want to be on, but I obviously don't want to just give up the course I've been studying all year. I only have 5 weeks left of this course but classes start again on Thursday and I can feel my depression creeping back. I thought I was making progress with my depression, but it turns out that I was probably just feeling less depressed because I didn't have to think about this course.

I've kept up with my assignments throughout but I have one due for next Sunday that I haven't started yet, and don't even want to think about starting, and I know I have at least 4 assignments plus a work placement to complete alongside my studies before I will have passed. I just don't know how to motivate myself or gather up the energy to do it. The work placement is very dull most of the time - scanning makes up a large part of it, as well as 'research' and my eyes are so tired of staring at databases. It feels doubly frustrating to have to sit through classes and complete assignments when I have a reading list for my desired course to work through that I'm actually excited about.

I should add that I am on anti-depressants (I finally opted to try them about 6 months ago) and I'm also on medication recommended by my doctor to try and tackle my PMS, which seems to be a huge trigger for my depression, but still the depression comes back. I think it's more situational than anything - so, ideas on how to lessen the situational depression when I can't currently change my situation?

Hey, sorry for such a late reply. Have you talked to your college about what's going on for you at all? Also the unis to see if you actually have to finish the course. I can understand not wanting to give up on it now but your health is more important- you know that as well as I do. Nothing is worth losing that. Just another view to think about anyway, this reply is probably a bit late now but yeah :s-smilie:

On a more general note, go and see your GP and see what they suggest. If the meds are helping they might want to try increasing them if you agree, or trying a different one if they're not. If you decide to continue the course then just do what you can but look after yourself too, you're the priority. Make sure you're eating and sleeping and stuff and yeah. Good luck whatever you decide, for this and for uni!

Sorry, really not the best of replies I know, might edit this later when I can think a bit straighter hopefully :redface: am also just about to go to uni after a few years out because of my health so you're welcome to PM me about that if you want to chat. But yeah, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest