The Student Room Group
BPP University
BPP University

Is it worth me going for Training Contracts? (non-law graduate)

I did a non-law degree at St Andrews, my grades are as follows: 1st year: 2.2 average; 2nd year: 2.2 average; 3rd year: 2.1 average; 4th year: 2.1 average.

Overall in my degree I did get a 2.1, but I am worried that my 2.2's in my first and second years will stop me from getting a TC. I have tonnes of legal/commercial work experience but know that TC's are increasingly competitive regarding grades.

Would really appreciate other people's thoughts/experiences. Would doing the GDL and scoring highly in that put me in a better position? or getting a legal assistant job?

Thanks
Original post by zandra22
I did a non-law degree at St Andrews, my grades are as follows: 1st year: 2.2 average; 2nd year: 2.2 average; 3rd year: 2.1 average; 4th year: 2.1 average.

Overall in my degree I did get a 2.1, but I am worried that my 2.2's in my first and second years will stop me from getting a TC. I have tonnes of legal/commercial work experience but know that TC's are increasingly competitive regarding grades.

Would really appreciate other people's thoughts/experiences. Would doing the GDL and scoring highly in that put me in a better position? or getting a legal assistant job?

Thanks

if it is what you wish to do, then go for it. You have nothing to lose. Be aware for non law degree holders it is even more competitive in a different way, but you mention you have significant legal experience, which they will love. Target your firms carefully as your degree grades will be a weakness at the very top firms.

Exceptional marks on the GDL would be a slight plus, but its simply not a guarantee. Its up to you whether you chose to fund yourself or not.

As pointed out by JSP, then the courses days may be numbered, but imo even when training changes there are always transitional arrangements for a number of years. It is preferable to get them to pay.
BPP University
BPP University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending