The Student Room Group

Tell her I like her or not

Hey, I like a girl and as uni is coming up in 4 months I'm in a dilemma. A-Levels are coming soon as well and I don't know whether to ask her out or whether to leave it. I've liked her for a long time but we're about to start a new chapter of our lives away from home, at least 50 miles away so I don't know whether to do it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
b b b b bump
Yes.

Life is too short to not try.

I did this and it worked and it was a good life experience.
I was in a similar situation although I made the mistake of waiting until I stopped liking her and just asked her if she liked me at any point. I would say just go for it, the worst that'll happen is she'll say no.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I like a girl and as uni is coming up in 4 months I'm in a dilemma. A-Levels are coming soon as well and I don't know whether to ask her out or whether to leave it. I've liked her for a long time but we're about to start a new chapter of our lives away from home, at least 50 miles away so I don't know whether to do it.

I know it's a nice idea to confess your love, and that everything will work out like it does in the movies, but sadly it doesn't, except in those rare circumstances (and believe me, I wish it did).

That new chapter is, just that, a new chapter. Make it a fresh page with no previous ideas or complex connections, so you can fully enjoy the new experiences.

I've gone into hibernation mode relationship-wise for the next few months, so I might actually get a chance to nail these exams...
Yes; tell her.
Reply 6
Depends on how strongly you feel about her. If you really truly like her tell her, let her know and it'll feel good for you.

But consider the implications, it could just put a burden on the two of you and trust me when I say nothing breaks your heart more than the right person at the wrong time.

I would only risk such a thing if I truly believe, in a sort of 'meant to be' sorta way. I wouldn't do it, save my heart to heal now instead of breaking t later but maybe you would prefer to enjoy these 4 months together. Idk
Reply 7
Original post by Fannon
Depends on how strongly you feel about her. If you really truly like her tell her, let her know and it'll feel good for you.

But consider the implications, it could just put a burden on the two of you and trust me when I say nothing breaks your heart more than the right person at the wrong time.

I would only risk such a thing if I truly believe, in a sort of 'meant to be' sorta way. I wouldn't do it, save my heart to heal now instead of breaking t later but maybe you would prefer to enjoy these 4 months together. Idk

I feel quite strongly about her, simply cause I've liked her for a long time. We're not that tight though and don't speak that much cause we run in different circles so I don't think she feels the same way, but I can't know for sure unless I say something to her. Just don't want it to seem weird, want it to seem genuine cause that's exactly what it is.
I feel quite strongly about her, simply cause I've liked her for a long time. We're not that tight though and don't speak that much cause we run in different circles so I don't think she feels the same way, but I can't know for sure unless I say something to her. Just don't want it to seem weird, want it to seem genuine cause that's exactly what it is.

Spend an increased amount of time with her if you can over the next few weeks, remind her of what you've done together subtly (but don't reflect too hard on the past, else it'll feel like some kind of breakup without even dating her).

Try to show that you run in a different circle, but are willing to spend time together and get a lot of her input on the subject - again, subtly, you don't want to come across as an interrogator.

I think a good way to make it seem casual and relaxed is to approach the matter as if it was the next logical step, while trying to be adventurous and showing it as a fun leap of faith that you're prepared to take.

(I realise this sounds soppy as hell, but it's the best way I can put it :tongue:)
Reply 9
Original post by Cupholder
Spend an increased amount of time with her if you can over the next few weeks, remind her of what you've done together subtly (but don't reflect too hard on the past, else it'll feel like some kind of breakup without even dating her).

Try to show that you run in a different circle, but are willing to spend time together and get a lot of her input on the subject - again, subtly, you don't want to come across as an interrogator.

I think a good way to make it seem casual and relaxed is to approach the matter as if it was the next logical step, while trying to be adventurous and showing it as a fun leap of faith that you're prepared to take.

(I realise this sounds soppy as hell, but it's the best way I can put it :tongue:)

Nah that's great thanks. I'm gonna have to spend some time around her and speak to her more, but the longer I wait the closer to exams I get and the less time I'd potentially have with her. While I don't believe a relationship will happen necessarily, it'd just be great to spend some time with her, even though I know deep down that she's the girl I want in my life romantically.
Any other input is welcomed
Tell her
do you know her well? and have you spoken to her? I would say just go for it! since there's not much time left if she says no it won't matter because you won't see her again
Tell her, I didn't tell someone about a year ago and still regret it a bit.

It's better to have a no than to not know:wink:.
do you know her well? and have you spoken to her? I would say just go for it! since there's not much time left if she says no it won't matter because you won't see her again

Not too well, most of what I know of her is from quick conversations and how she was in lessons and school.

I have spoken to her fairly recently, but I'm not in a position where I talk to her every time I see her and have her number or anything.

I wanna go for it and that's a great way of looking at it. It's just how do I do it without seeming too over the top? I think the earlier idea of speaking to her gradually more and more is good, any idea?
How often in a week do you see her? tbh you should just go with casual talk and then see how you feel about it also ask if she's taken because imagine she is ... awkwaaaard ... maybe ask for her snapchat ?? also some not speaking about all but some like over the top guys because it shows youre interested
I like OP :smile:
Nah that's great thanks. I'm gonna have to spend some time around her and speak to her more, but the longer I wait the closer to exams I get and the less time I'd potentially have with her. While I don't believe a relationship will happen necessarily, it'd just be great to spend some time with her, even though I know deep down that she's the girl I want in my life romantically.

I think it's worth a try, otherwise if you leave it, you will always wonder what could have been😉 Try talk to her more or message her about a random thing just to get a conversation going!! Once you start talking it will get easier, or even ask her to go out somewhere with you, you'll soon see if she likes you back! Good luck 🙂
How often in a week do you see her? tbh you should just go with casual talk and then see how you feel about it also ask if she's taken because imagine she is ... awkwaaaard ... maybe ask for her snapchat ?? also some not speaking about all but some like over the top guys because it shows youre interested

I'll be clear and honest with her but I don't wanna be too over the top throwing every feeling I have for her straight at her. I see her about 1-2 times a week, even then there's no guarantee I can actually speak to her. I do know she's not taken though.
I think it's worth a try, otherwise if you leave it, you will always wonder what could have been😉 Try talk to her more or message her about a random thing just to get a conversation going!! Once you start talking it will get easier, or even ask her to go out somewhere with you, you'll soon see if she likes you back! Good luck 🙂

Thank you! That's exactly how I feel. Just saying hi and asking how she's doing a few times just so she sees me more seems like the way forward, if I sense she enjoys speaking to me then I can ask her out.

Quick Reply

Latest