The Student Room Group

Business studies...yes or no?

So I've picked business studies as a gcse, but I'm starting to hear really negative things about it... Can someone who's taking/taken it explain their experience? Thanks in advance
Original post by holycrapidk
So I've picked business studies as a gcse, but I'm starting to hear really negative things about it... Can someone who's taking/taken it explain their experience? Thanks in advance

what negatives have you been hearing about it
I'm doing Business currently and in my opinion it isn't that bad/hard. But i guess it depends on the individual's opinion. And what negatives have you heard?
Reply 3
Business studies is really intresting i think. It's by far the easiest GCSE i take because my exam board Edexcel is easy. I'm lucky to have lot's of past paper since the spec hasn't changed since 2009. Honestly, if you enjoy learning about marketing products, how small bussinesses start-up etc. Then you will enjoy it
Depends on the exam board. If it's Edexcel then you should have no problems. I walked out with an A* and hardly any revision. It's just common sense, multiple choice and a few extended answer questions. The controlled assessment can be a bit daunting, but everything else is easy! :smile:
Original post by clucky_chick
Depends on the exam board. If it's Edexcel then you should have no problems. I walked out with an A* and hardly any revision. It's just common sense, multiple choice and a few extended answer questions. The controlled assessment can be a bit daunting, but everything else is easy! :smile:

What's the controlled assessment like?
Original post by R.n_321
What's the controlled assessment like?

The spec may have changed since I did it. I took it in 2015. Basically, we had to choose a small business and basically do a write-up about them and research, etc. Usually using a research question and trying to think of ways to improve the business in the conclusion. It involves real life interviews, etc. It's fun, but definitely long and tedious. The write-up is 10 hours long (split up in exam style lessons). It's not as bad as it seems, just a bit boring. :smile:
Reply 7
pretty much that it's a useless subject that most people regret taking. In my school you have to pick a humanity, so it just seemed like the best option
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by clucky_chick
The spec may have changed since I did it. I took it in 2015. Basically, we had to choose a small business and basically do a write-up about them and research, etc. Usually using a research question and trying to think of ways to improve the business in the conclusion. It involves real life interviews, etc. It's fun, but definitely long and tedious. The write-up is 10 hours long (split up in exam style lessons). It's not as bad as it seems, just a bit boring. :smile:

Oh wow seems quite long haha - I'm in year 10 so probably not until a year :P - Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by R.n_321
Oh wow seems quite long haha - I'm in year 10 so probably not until a year :P - Thanks for replying :smile:

No problem. When trying to get into college it doesn't really matter what subjects you took, it only matters about the grades you get. Remember that when picking options. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest