Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does dis gurantee you to study medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated_i)
    Which Access to medicine course do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't. Basically what happens after the access to medicine course, you apply to med schools again and competition is even feircer. These are second time round students, their motivation is higher and they are even more determined to succeed.

If you want to do medicine, you should know this stuff. Best of luck though.

Take care..

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jndikum)
    No it doesn't. Basically what happens after the access to medicine course, you apply to med schools again and competition is even feircer. These are second time round students, their motivation is higher and they are even more determined to succeed.

If you want to do medicine, you should know this stuff. Best of luck though.

Take care..

John

Widening access to medicine courses are usually slightly different. The kings one you are accepted for 6 years with the first three years at a slower pace to the conventional course.

The course at Southampton is a one year course. If you pass this, you are guranteed a place on the 5yr BM programme.

John is right, try doing some research.

The access course at Kings Lynn is the best known.

ReputationRep:
    I have done a lot of research, just curious how all this stuff is organised.Speaking of the one in southampton; its really cool and easy to get in. But do i have to apply again even though i pass that year?

ReputationRep:
    I have done a lot of research, just curious how all this stuff is organised.Speaking of the one in southampton; its really cool and easy to get in. But do i have to apply again even though i pass that year?
    K, ma bad, I guess I was a bit quick to judge. But best of luck anyway. I admire prospective medics like you I must say. You haven't lost your drive to do medicine.. sounds like a good future doctor to me.

Take Care

John

ReputationRep:
    Not to be rude. Oh scrap that i am being rude.

Who the heck told you it was "easy" to get in? I'm currently waiting to see whether i've been accepted on the course. I applied last year and had an offer for it but had to reapply because i was ill. I reapplied this year and managed to get my offer.

Who has told you its easy? I know lots of people who were rejected from the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Not to be rude. Oh scrap that i am being rude.

Who the heck told you it was "easy" to get in? I'm currently waiting to see whether i've been accepted on the course. I applied last year and had an offer for it but had to reapply because i was ill. I reapplied this year and managed to get my offer.

Who has told you its easy? I know lots of people who were rejected from the course.
    True say! Hey I must have not read that part. Hmm..I guess my speed reading courses weren't perfect. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    True say! Hey I must have not read that part. Hmm..I guess my speed reading courses weren't perfect. :rolleyes:
    That message wasn't aimed at you John, i'm just interested where the rumour that its easy to get on the course has come from. Try telling some of my friends that. I appreciate that the numbers are less than for traditional medicine courses and less people know about it, but thats changing. In that sense you're actually right it may be slightly easier. I just hope people reading this don't see Southampton as an easy option because it isn't. The people i know on the course say its hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    That message wasn't aimed at you John, i'm just interested where the rumour that its easy to get on the course has come from. Try telling some of my friends that. I appreciate that the numbers are less than for traditional medicine courses and less people know about it, but thats changing. In that sense you're actually right it may be slightly easier. I just hope people reading this don't see Southampton as an easy option because it isn't. The people i know on the course say its hard work.
    Naa don't worry, I know you weren't aiming it at me. I honestly did not read that section. I've been speed reading since I was about 14 and today I've realised perhaps I need to slow down..lol.

I agree with you when you say that the course is not easy to get into. Anything leading to medical school is difficult to get into. Yea, you're right. people need to understand that there are no 'easy' routes to medicine. Just different ones; and all difficult.

Take Care,

John

ReputationRep:
    OK, its not EASY but its easier then the reqiurements of medicine itself..having read the enterance qualifacation its:

GCSE's grades A-C including English Mathematics and Double Award Science
    and

4 AS levels grade B's including Chemistry and Biology/Human Biology

surely its much more easierden the reqiurements of medcine??

ReputationRep:
    By the way, i really wanted to know more bout that course..they give limited info on der website....hope u can tel more bout it... plus what did u get forur a-levels?

ReputationRep:
    Another thing...it states:

These could be achieved over a one or two-year period or students may enter with A2 qualifications. For example CCC at A level or 200 points with minimum of B at AS or C at A level in Chemistry and Biology would be acceptable.

So does that mean if you have 200 points its = BB??

ReputationRep:
    By the way, i really wanted to know more bout that course..they give limited info on der website....hope u can tel more bout it... plus what did u get forur a-levels?
    Hope it all works out for you though. Like I said, its good that you haven't given up on Medicine.

I got ABB (In Maths, Chemistry and Human Biology respectively). So I'm off to Barts (aka Queen Mary's Medical School). But DAMN, I worked HARD for those exams. I may not have 6 A's like some people on the site but I worked REAL HARD to make ma grades..

Take Care

John

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at

http://www.freewebs.com/graduatemedi...oursetypes.htm

ReputationRep:
    I got ABB (In Maths, Chemistry and Human Biology respectively). So I'm off to Barts (aka Queen Mary's Medical School).
    See ya there!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.