The Student Room Group

How rich is your family? (Pocket money question)

Hi everyone.
Last September I started my A levels, and I am currently doing Chemistry, Biology, and Psycology. I am hoping to study medicine.
I am working very hard but it's not easy for me and in order to do well i spend a lot of my free time studying ( most of the weekends, my free periods in college, etc).
Ansyways I'm rambling and the point is my parents give me quite a lot of money every week so I don't have to get a job but I can buy clothes makeup train travel etc.
But I'm starting to wonder if they give me a ridiculous amount or if it is normal for their wealth.
So how much pocket money do you get, do you have a job, and what class are your parents (based only on pay).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pfdavina
Hi everyone.
Last September I started my A levels, and I am currently doing Chemistry, Biology, and Psycology. I am hoping to study medicine.
I am working very hard but it's not easy for me and in order to do well i spend a lot of my free time studying ( most of the weekends, my free periods in college, etc).
Ansyways I'm rambling and the point is my parents give me quite a lot of money every week so I don't have to get a job but I can buy clothes makeup train travel etc.
But I'm starting to wonder if they give me a ridiculous amount or if it is normal for their wealth.
So how much pocket money do you get, do you have a job, and what class are your parents (based only on pay).

I'm not going to say how much my parents earn but in exchange for studying (like you) I get £100 a week which I use for travel, food, clothing, going out, makeup etc.

I don't have a job.
I feel bad to ask parents for money. I'm a modern day Mr Scrooge. As miserly as you can get.

Untitled.png
Original post by AishaGirl
I get £100 a week

:eek:
Hi everyone.

I get no pocket money, I do not have a job, pay varies as my dad is in the property business. 30-50k would be his pay. It may seem like a lot but we have 8 in the family but its not like we scrape buy. Middle class?

I too want to be in the medical field-I want to become a dentist when I am older, however due to financial reasons, I cannot do things such as DofE or extra curricular things I like because 3 of my sisters are in UNI and my dad is currently paying for 2. I hope this doesnt affect my overall CV but anyway I am not suffering and happily revising away ;D... sorta.
I get no pocket money, i have a job and its part time so I earn like nothing (for now :colone:)

edit: dont know what class my parents are, probably middle atm? :s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
£175 a month

I also have a part time job but its seasonal work
Reply 7
I don't really get pocket money, other than if I need it specifically for something, even though my parents have more than enough of it. But I have 3 jobs and like to be independent, so there's that I guess. Hmm, what class? I don't know, middle class perhaps?
Don't really need it.
Original post by Faloodeh
I get no pocket money, i have a job and its part time so I earn like nothing (for now :colone:)

edit: dont know what class my parents are, probably middle atm? :s-smilie:

Original post by Maieli
I don't really get pocket money, other than if I need it specifically for something, even though my parents have more than enough of it. But I have 3 jobs and like to be independent, so there's that I guess. Hmm, what class? I don't know, middle class perhaps?

Original post by theoneandonlybob
Don't really need it.

I'm quite shocked so many of you don't get pocket money... How do you all afford to buy the things you need? Do your parents just give you money as and when you need it instead?
Reply 10
I'm quite shocked so many of you don't get pocket money... How do you all afford to buy the things you need? Do your parents just give you money as and when you need it instead?

That's exactly what I was thinking.
How do you guys travel, hang out with friends, buy stationary, books, films, clothes, makeup etc. ( I know the above sounds superficial but isn't that what we are about as teenagers?)

I earn it/save up for it :nothing:
Reply 12

As I said, got 3 part-time jobs so that's where I get my money. Plus budgeting aaaaaall the time.^^
I am a proletariat
That's exactly what I was thinking.
How do you guys travel, hang out with friends, buy stationary, books, films, clothes, makeup etc. ( I know the above sounds superficial but isn't that what we are about as teenagers?)

not everyones parents give pocket money as you can see :lol:
we just dont go out/ save up for it :rolleyes:

Original post by Maieli
As I said, got 3 part-time jobs so that's where I get my money. Plus budgeting aaaaaall the time.^^

broke :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:es unite :highfive:
Reply 15
Original post by Maieli

Wow you are amazingly hardworking. 👏🏾

well im still in secondary school so i don't really need to buy things myself but in the future i will most likely be given money by my parents.
:redface: whats your youtube channel?
0, don't accept money from my parents anymore even though they keep putting it in my pocket :s-smilie:
Hi everyone.

I used to get about £5 a week and I live in a lower middle class household. I do have a job but it's only a part time one so I make about £100 a week from that. I think having a job is good because it shows that you can be independent which is something that would help if you wanted to apply for medicine. I think you should get a job, not for the money but for the experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest