Cambridge Natural Sciences Admissions Test Topics

Watch
peppercherry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'll be applying to Cambridge in October this year for Natural Sciences. For the admissions test in Section 1, there are different topics including Maths, the sciences, and Advanced Maths and Advanced Physics. I know it seems like I'm worrying about tiny details, but I was wondering if there's any advantage to taking the Advanced Maths/Physics topic instead of Physics - ie. do the admissions staff value the advanced section over the normal Physics section?

(I take Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths A Levels)

Thank you!
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by peppercherry)
I'll be applying to Cambridge in October this year for Natural Sciences. For the admissions test in Section 1, there are different topics including Maths, the sciences, and Advanced Maths and Advanced Physics. I know it seems like I'm worrying about tiny details, but I was wondering if there's any advantage to taking the Advanced Maths/Physics topic instead of Physics - ie. do the admissions staff value the advanced section over the normal Physics section?

Thank you!
I don't think it really makes any difference because there's so many other factors that will influence the outcome of your application. But purely from the statistics, here are the percentages of applicants who received an offer for each possible combination of sections:

Physics/Chemistry: 28%
Physics/Advanced Maths: 31%
Physics/Biology: 22%
Biology/Chemistry: 31%
Biology/Advanced Maths: 19%
Chemistry/Advanced Maths: 25%
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thank you!
No I really don't think they would. Just do what topics you think will give you the highest possible mark. The admissions tutors will have no particular bias, they won't have time to do breakdowns like that. They will probably just look at the total mark for selection.

Also the above statistics, although helpful and informative, are potentially misleading if over analysed. People who have the confidence to do the advanced maths section may be self-selecting (i.e. this is correlation not causation) and be a smaller sample than the other option combinations. This is also only data for 1 year, and at that a year where it was first introduced.

Honestly my suspicion is that section 1 (MCQ, short qs) is less important than both AS UMS %s, the interview and section 2. From what I remember, UMS was the best predictor of performance at University for physnatsci by quite some margin (it had the highest spearman coefficient).

That said obviously a very bad mark would be worrying and an excellent mark would be evidence of potential.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thank you!
As per R T, just play to your strengths answering the sections you will do best in, not trying to play games with admissions statistics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads