The Student Room Group

Most despised subject in secondary school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Precious Illusions
Hated everything at school but especially Dance/PE/Art/DT/Geography/Science.

You had dance as a separate subject? :holmes:
Original post by ByronicHero
You had dance as a separate subject? :holmes:

Yeah. I thought most schools did but I could be wrong. My school was a 'performing arts' school which may be why. I hated it for the same reason I hated PE - some people were so competitive and took it way too seriously.
Yeah. I thought most schools did but I could be wrong. My school was a 'performing arts' school which may be why. I hated it for the same reason I hated PE - some people were so competitive and took it way too seriously.

It was always an occasional cameo in PE lessons in primary school, and didn't feature beyond that through secondary. They did have it as an option at the end of each year for people to choose for activity days, but that's rather different. :dontknow: It probably was due to your school's focus. PE was my favourite subject, as long as we weren't being forced to play rounders or some other non-sport.
PE at our school was pretty fun....apart from cross country....screw that :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:; rugby, cricket and table tennis was where it was at
Original post by ByronicHero
It was always an occasional cameo in PE lessons in primary school, and didn't feature beyond that through secondary. They did have it as an option at the end of each year for people to choose for activity days, but that's rather different. :dontknow: It probably was due to your school's focus. PE was my favourite subject, as long as we weren't being forced to play rounders or some other non-sport.

Nah at my school we had it every week until GCSEs, then you had to specifically choose it as a subject. My school was very focused on the 'arts' though. For GCSEs you had to pick at least one artistic subject, so a variety of art subjects, DT or dance which was pretty s**t.
Nah at my school we had it every week until GCSEs, then you had to specifically choose it as a subject. My school was very focused on the 'arts' though. For GCSEs you had to pick at least one artistic subject, so a variety of art subjects, DT or dance which was pretty s**t.

At mine I believe you had to pick a technology from a choice of several. I don't remember for sure.

To answer the thread: all were fine, with the exception of chemistry. I was somehow always top set but I don't recall ever taking an active part in a single lesson and certainly never did any homework or anything. I just found it so dull and tried to distract girls instead :lol: I am not convinced I ever learned a single thing in that class :facepalm2:
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
Wow.
I found my Polar Opposite on TSR
I loved maths...
I wonder what you found hard :smile:

Lol. Both my parents loved maths. I didn't inherit that from either or them, I guess! :dontknow:
I loved English tho! :yep:
Original post by ClearSky
Lol. Both my parents loved maths. I didn't inherit that from either or them, I guess! :dontknow:
I loved English tho! :yep:

I was okay i guess with English

My teacher was pretty damn hot ngl

Just about scraped C in lit and almost a B in lang, but my appeal got denied :frown:
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
I was okay i guess with English

My teacher was pretty damn hot ngl

Just about scraped C in lit and almost a B in lang, but my appeal got denied :frown:

Ooh, unlucky.
I was always top in English. :h:

Spoiler

PE was the worst. I used to dread it every week. The teachers favour the sporty kids (I was very unsporty and had no hand eye coordination) and treat the weaker ones as lazy.
Maths 😭
English literature. I could never understand why it was a compulsory core subject for GCSE. All it is about is reading and analysing old bedtime stories. It’s a hobby with no relevance to the job market apart from a few careers in theatre.

PSHE. A complete waste of time. It rarely focused on issues that were relevant to me. It was full of loony left political correctness. Hardest to understand was why so many teachers took PHSE so seriously.

ICT. I would have loved to have done computer science but ICT was a complete waste of time bumming about with trivial features in obsolete versions of Micro$oft Word and Excel, and learning deprecated HTML tags when real websites used CSS. The teacher didn’t even come from a computing background and half the kids knew more about computers than he did. He had absolutely no idea what a compiler was and had never done any programming.

PE. A lack of variety in the activities and too much obsession with football. The sporty kids took PE too seriously then got uptight with kids who weren’t good at team sports and accused them of ruining their game. The teachers always favoured the sporty kids and treated the less able or co-ordinated ones as badly behaved or spoilers who deserve all the ‘punishment’ they get from the sporty kids after the lesson.

Music. At the end of year 7 I still could not play any ‘proper’ instruments because all we had done was bum around with pointless things. Most of the kids who took music for GCSE already could play a proper instrument by the time they had finished primary school and learned outside of school. Unless your schools are rare exceptions I think there is lots of favouritism amongst kids when it comes to music.
Spanish/French. It offers no benefits to anyone who doesn't want to live in countries that speak those languages.
Re and English literature, pe until year 10 when they let us vote on activities
I carried out a similar survey with home educating parents a few years ago although it asked about most pointless subjects rather than most despised subjects they had to study at school.

Top five responses:

1. English literature.
2. PE.
3. Woodwork.
4. Foreign languages.
5. Latin / classics.

Nobody had put down English language or ICT / Computing.

Most of the criticism of mathematics was learning topics above and beyond arithmetic like geometry and algebra.

There was quite a lot of criticism of biology in that the parents wanted to learn about the human body and medical matters but over half the course was about plants. Some stated that they wanted to study human biology rather than general biology.

Criticism of history centred around the topics and the teaching rather than the subject itself. Many parents who hated history at secondary school enjoyed it at primary school.

Home economics / food tech was also a criticised subject because of what the parents had to learn and cook but all agreed that food and cooking are important subjects.

Religious studies had problems with a bias towards Christianity or too much focus on ethical issues rather than learning about religion.
German, or any kind of language
Reply 56
I absolutely despised PE and dreaded coming to school when I had it. So glad I don't have to do that anymore :redface:
I deteste maths. Still do now, and I have it everyday of the week- absolute torture.😭 I just tolerate it because I need to pass my GCSES.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
unpopular opinion: i looked forward to PE? in my secondary school the teachers were strict af and there were always the few who took it super seriously but it was good bonding experience with my fellow couch potatoes. we had a different sport every half term and in summer it was all just games we voted on :K: but we did have the occasional bleep test, cross country, and uhm 'muscle circuits'...... absolute torture

i disliked RE though. having 11 yr olds argue over religion, basic morals, and the meaning of life was a nightmare.
(edited 6 years ago)
Spanish. Worst subject ever. I literally just gave up at the middle of year 11!!!

Quick Reply

Latest