The Student Room Group

Access to primary care other than GP

I am looking for a consultation in primary care but don't wish to go to my GP. I've had a look online for walk-in centres but for some reason there doesn't seem to be any in my area (Cardiff, Wales).

I have looked up private consultations but they are far too expensive for me (£250).

I created an online consultation on the online website, anytimedoctor, on Saturday:

https://www.anytimedoctor.co.uk/

But I have no idea how quick their response time is.

Would anyone have any other ideas of where I could access primary care support? My problem isn't serious enough to go to A&E/Minor Injuries.

Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
I am looking for a consultation in primary care but don't wish to go to my GP. I've had a look online for walk-in centres but for some reason there doesn't seem to be any in my area (Cardiff, Wales).

I have looked up private consultations but they are far too expensive for me (£250).

I created an online consultation on the online website, anytimedoctor, on Saturday:

https://www.anytimedoctor.co.uk/

But I have no idea how quick their response time is.

Would anyone have any other ideas of where I could access primary care support? My problem isn't serious enough to go to A&E/Minor Injuries.

Thanks.

Why dont you wish to see the GP?
You can also book an appointment with the practice nurse.
You can also see another GP at a different practice.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why dont you wish to see the GP?
You can also book an appointment with the practice nurse.
You can also see another GP at a different practice.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'd rather not book an appointment at my surgery at all (with a nurse or a GP) as I don't want my consultation to go on my medical record.

Is it possible to see a GP at a different practice without being registered there/being registered elsewhere?
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'd rather not book an appointment at my surgery at all (with a nurse or a GP) as I don't want my consultation to go on my medical record.

Is it possible to see a GP at a different practice without being registered there/being registered elsewhere?

It would still go on your medical records.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
It would still go on your medical records.

When I contacted my local private GP service, they informed me that any consultation with them would not be sent to my NHS GP without my consent.

Is this only the case with private services?
When I contacted my local private GP service, they informed me that any consultation with them would not be sent to my NHS GP without my consent.

Is this only the case with private services?

If i remember correctly when i used to go to my old walk in centre they generally send a letter to your dr so it can be put on your records as they cant access your full records.

And at my new same day health centre (like a walk in but you have to get an appointment through 111 or an urgant appointment from my gp) they also send a letter.

Just go to your GP nothing can be so bad you dont want it on your records :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by PandaWho
Just go to your GP nothing can be so bad you dont want it on your records :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess this is different for each person.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I understand that I f requested, walk in centres can keep your appointment confidential. However, I can't find any walk in centres in my area at all - I don't know if they are exclusive to England?

I guess the other option would be NHS Direct (111) - does anyone have any experience of them?
Even if it does go on your records, noone will find out, because it's confidental :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I guess this is different for each person.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I understand that I f requested, walk in centres can keep your appointment confidential. However, I can't find any walk in centres in my area at all - I don't know if they are exclusive to England?

I guess the other option would be NHS Direct (111) - does anyone have any experience of them?

NHS 111 is to advise you on who to see and will likely suggest GP or (if the exist there) walk-in. They may be able to advise you on what services are available in your area though. They will ask for your info, but you can say you would rather not give it.
You could call your surgery and ask if there is any way you can have something not added to your record.
Other than that I don't know what to suggest, especially since I don't know what the issue you are having is.

I would say that it is better to get help for something than avoid it because of records. Your records are confidential apart from the doctors at the practice and other medical professionals you see on the NHS. It won't be given to anybody else apart from possibly for medical checks for specific jobs (like military).
I know it's embarrassing, but they are professionals and will not judge.

Sorry I can't suggest a more appealing option. Good luck with your issue. :smile:
Reply 9
If the issue is with somebody in the doctors surgery (who you know) finding something out, you are able to change surgeries. If you have a health concern, you should get it seen too.
If it is embarrassment, GPs see a lot of weird things.
If you want specific advice on how to resolve your issue, you could say what the problem is here. You are anon after all.
Original post by Potato456
Even if it does go on your records, noone will find out, because it's confidental :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

From my experience confidentiality has been broken by my GP which is why I do not wish this problem to go on my records.

Original post by Kindred
NHS 111 is to advise you on who to see and will likely suggest GP or (if the exist there) walk-in. They may be able to advise you on what services are available in your area though. They will ask for your info, but you can say you would rather not give it.

Thank you for your advise - this has been very helpful. I think NHS 111 would be the way to go; thank you for not being judgemental about my problem.

Original post by Kindred
It won't be given to anybody else apart from possibly for medical checks for specific jobs (like military).

This is part of my problem (not military).
From my experience confidentiality has been broken by my GP which is why I do not wish this problem to go on my records.

Thank you for your advise - this has been very helpful. I think NHS 111 would be the way to go; thank you for not being judgemental about my problem.

This is part of my problem (not military).

Ah I see. I guess you are worried it may affect your position with your job? Or that people you know will find out and it will be awkward?
Well I suggest you have a good look at (or discuss with somebody) what will be shared and if there is any way you can have something not added to your records along with what will actually affect your position. There are a lot of things that would be covered under the discrimination act so unless it would be a specific issue for your position they cannot discriminate you because of it. Like for example, I imagine that to be military you would need a certain level of fitness and if you had an issue that made your limbs weak you probably wouldn't be able to keep the job, but if it were say an embarrassing infection, but one that wouldn't affect your ability to do your job, they could not discriminate.
I guess you probably know about that for your job anyway, but it cold be worth checking again to see if there are any loop holes or anything.

Sorry I can't help more. Good luck :smile:
If it's long term, 111 won't help you.
Have you ever thought about giving an alternative name and address when you go to another GP???
how did they break confidentiality relating to your problems? What exactly is it that you want to talk to someone about? Bare in mind you're anon on here so you can say.
I don't have a health care provider
Original post by angel shaw
I don't have a health care provider

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, are you asking how to get a GP? You need to find out which GP surgeries cover the postcode where you live - you can do this online via the NHS website. Then you need to go there to register, and they'll usually ask you to bring something as proof of address. They'll give you some forms to fill in, and then usually within a few days you're registered and free to make an appointment. Even if you're in generally good health it's a good idea to be registered with a GP because you never know when you might need to see a GP and it's much easier to be already registered.
Reply 17
I know a lot of doctors, send me a private message with outlining what your concern is and I will discuss it with one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest