Masters Application Referee Watch

MrsNesbitt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been out of education for 5 years after completing my undergraduate degree in 2012. I am completing my application for a Masters and the particular Uni is asking for an employer reference due to my time away from education.

Is there anything specific my employer needs to refer to in their reference. The Uni site only states for them to refer to my "professional ability". Just to note I have worked at the same firm since finishing Uni in 2012.

Many thanks in advance!
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends on the Uni. Some universities will simply email your reference with some questions. Off the top of my head, I think the normal questions employer's get asked are things like:

1) Do you think such and such has the ability to complete a masters degree? Why? (E.g. they could talk about a time you worked on a project by yourself).

2) Give an example of the technical ability of such and such (Best to focus on what is relevant to the masters. E.g. if the masters degree teaches advanced Java, talk how you use Java or another highly OO language in work).

3) Soft skills: This may or may not come up, but always good to mention transferable skills that help with a masters (e.g. time management, diligence, professionalism, strong communication skills, continual learning and development etc...)

If you're employer includes a sentence or two about that lot, that should be grand for a masters application.

Good luck.
MrsNesbitt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am late replying to this, but I GOT IN! Thank you so much for your help and advice below, really assisted in getting what I needed from my referee.

Back to the books!

(Original post by jestersnow)
It depends on the Uni. Some universities will simply email your reference with some questions. Off the top of my head, I think the normal questions employer's get asked are things like:

1) Do you think such and such has the ability to complete a masters degree? Why? (E.g. they could talk about a time you worked on a project by yourself).

2) Give an example of the technical ability of such and such (Best to focus on what is relevant to the masters. E.g. if the masters degree teaches advanced Java, talk how you use Java or another highly OO language in work).

3) Soft skills: This may or may not come up, but always good to mention transferable skills that help with a masters (e.g. time management, diligence, professionalism, strong communication skills, continual learning and development etc...)

If you're employer includes a sentence or two about that lot, that should be grand for a masters application.

Good luck.
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MrsNesbitt)
I am late replying to this, but I GOT IN! Thank you so much for your help and advice below, really assisted in getting what I needed from my referee.

Back to the books!

Well done! Glad it was of some help but the reason you got in was down to your own ability. Congrats
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads