The Student Room Group

Lower abdomen/groin rumbling when I'm at school

I don't really know how to describe the sound, I guess it sounds a bit like flatulence but it's of course internal. I get these sounds whenever I am at school, always near my lower abdomen/groin area. This is accompanied by a sort of tightening feeling (or pressure) in that area, which subsides for a short amount of time after the rumbling occurs. I would say it occurs roughly 20 times whilst at school each day, with the tightening feeling present in between each occasion almost all of the time. I guess it sort of feels like there is gas trapped in there somewhere.

As I only get them at school, I wondered if it could be due to stress or anxiety of some sort? I have tried to find out if it is caused by a particular food that I eat but it occurs every day at school regardless or how much or what I eat. It is quite problematic and embarrassing for me as it is loud and discomforting, especially with the sound resembling that of flatulence.

If anyone has any experience with a similar issue or has any clue of what might be the cause, please let me know!
(edited 6 years ago)
It means you haven't had anything for breakfast. Or it's nearly time for lunch.

Nothing sinister.

Other things it could be is an overactive GI tract (these are the noises you can hear). Some people's GI tract is naturally a bit noisier than others. There's no correlation with milk or anything is there (and, along with the sounds, do you also actually get flatulence)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by W. A. Mozart
Are you sure that's the issue? It doesn't seem to depend on how much food I have ate, especially on the weekends where I seem to skip lunch most days and never have these problems.

No I'm not sure because I haven't examined you or done any investigations. But no-one can on TSR. I'm giving you an idea of what I think it might be, given your description. I'm sure others will have different ideas. :smile:
Original post by W. A. Mozart
That was quite silly of me to ask. :colondollar:

Thank you very much for the response, I'll try and look into it more and see if food does affect it in any way. :smile:

:smile: and as I say, I'm sure people will be along with different ideas and opinions which you can consider.
It's either you need to eat, poop and/or fart....Never keep a fart in :P
Original post by Perserverance
It's either you need to eat, poop and/or fart....Never keep a fart in :P

Fart kills.
It could be linked to anxiety. It manifests in wonderful ways!!
It could be food or drink
It could be just how your system works
Do you eat lots of mints at school or chew gum?
Some contain Sortbitol and xylitol which will have this effect
The best solution is a trip to your gp if it bothers you.
This is happening to me and only at night and its also accompanied by what i tHink is acid reflux every night. It might be malabsorbtion as it was for me
I have the same issues as yours but mine is sometimes painful. And I feel like the right side of my pelvis is being stretched. The pain is achy and dull.Anyone with what it could be please reply.
Original post by imbandul
I have the same issues as yours but mine is sometimes painful. And I feel like the right side of my pelvis is being stretched. The pain is achy and dull.Anyone with what it could be please reply.

A GP might be able to help you with that. An old thread? Unlikely.

Latest