The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Oxford

I want to Study Biochemsitry at university and I'm trying to decide where to apply. I take Maths, Chemsitry and Psychology and as far as A level results go I'm so far predicted A*AA with the A* in Psychology. I was wondering if it was worth applying to oxford or not, I'm not sure if I would stand a chance of getting in or if it's just a waste of an option
Out of interest why didn't you take biology? (not sure if it's required, but it'd make sense, non?:/)
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Out of interest why didn't you take biology? (not sure if it's required, but it'd make sense, non?:/)

It's silly really but at the time of picking my A levels i disliked the teacher and had an interest in Psychology so I decided to go for that instead. I kind of regret it now so I'm doing my EPQ in the biology field. It's not required though, only chemistry is and then Maths or Biology, so I have Maths
Original post by AmeliaVAlJones
It's silly really but at the time of picking my A levels i disliked the teacher and had an interest in Psychology so I decided to go for that instead. I kind of regret it now so I'm doing my EPQ in the biology field. It's not required though, only chemistry is and then Maths or Biology, so I have Maths

Fair enough.
I'd say go for it (especially if you have good GCSEs (7A*s-11A*s) and think you can cope with the workload).
I applied to Cambridge (got pooled but rejected post interview) but I didn't even think I'd get an interview!! Plus, you have 4 other uni spaces where you can put down places where you think you have a good shot of getting an offer. In addition, applying by the early application deadline means you'll hear back from the other unis really quickly.
Go for it! Oxford is never a waste of an option, even though so few people get in. In spite of this, or perhaps because of it, it is so tricky to tell who will or will not be accepted to Oxford but it sounds like you have a good stead. As long as you seem passionate and curious at interview (assuming you are interviewed) you have a good chance. I would previously have said that without Biology it may be more difficult, but as long as you manage to gain a place at interview, the EPQ should provide you with enough knowledge :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending