I think I've accepted the wrong course at Uni...HELP?! Watch

ScottyJadee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I made my firm and insurance choices a couple of weeks ago but I think I've chosen the wrong course. Sports Journalism at Brighton is my firm choice and the same course at Southampton Solent is my insurance. I've been debating uni since the start of A-levels but now think if I am going to go I would like to study Media and Communications. Can anyone please help?!
ScottyJadee
Rep:
?
So I made my firm and insurance choices a couple of weeks ago but I think I've chosen the wrong course. Sports Journalism at Brighton is my firm choice and the same course at Southampton Solent is my insurance. I've been debating uni since the start of A-levels but now think if I am going to go I would like to study Media and Communications. Can anyone please help?!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ScottyJadee)
DO either of your choices offer Media and Communications - and if so would you want to study the course there? If so then contact them ASAP about getting your course changed.

If neither offer the course you want then you need to contact universities that do and ask whether they are accepting applications for this course via Extra. You can then contact both firm and insurance (and UCAS) to ask them to arrange with UCAS for you to decline both offers. That will place you into Extra and you can apply to a 6th choice.
ScottyJadee
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
DO either of your choices offer Media and Communications - and if so would you want to study the course there? If so then contact them ASAP about getting your course changed.

If neither offer the course you want then you need to contact universities that do and ask whether they are accepting applications for this course via Extra. You can then contact both firm and insurance (and UCAS) to ask them to arrange with UCAS for you to decline both offers. That will place you into Extra and you can apply to a 6th choice.
Neither of my choices offer a media and communications course, so need to look towards other universities. Does it look particularly bad if i ask the unis to decline my offer and will it affect other universities accepting me in the near future? Also i Extra only available to apply to one university with?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Neither of my choices offer a media and communications course, so need to look towards other universities. Does it look particularly bad if i ask the unis to decline my offer and will it affect other universities accepting me in the near future? Also i Extra only available to apply to one university with?
It's not a big deal, universities know applicants change their minds and would prefer to know sooner rather than later - do any of your other original 5 choices offer the course? It might be possible to swap your firm to them without going through Extra (again you'd need to contact your firm, insurance and any other universities and UCAS - if they all agree and tell UCAS then your firm/insurance can be amended).

Extra only allows you to make one applications at a time (you can have a second or more if your first choice rejects you or you decide not to take up their offer).
ScottyJadee
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
It's not a big deal, universities know applicants change their minds and would prefer to know sooner rather than later - do any of your other original 5 choices offer the course? It might be possible to swap your firm to them without going through Extra (again you'd need to contact your firm, insurance and any other universities and UCAS - if they all agree and tell UCAS then your firm/insurance can be amended).

Extra only allows you to make one applications at a time (you can have a second or more if your first choice rejects you or you decide not to take up their offer).
UEL was one of my original choices and it does the course, however it isn't considered one of the better unis for this course. What would you suggest as the best way to contact the unibersities and UCAS?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UEL was one of my original choices and it does the course, however it isn't considered one of the better unis for this course. What would you suggest as the best way to contact the unibersities and UCAS?
Do some more research. Decide which university and course you DO want to go to and talk to them (by phone) about whether they'll accept an application through Extra. Once you've got two places that you like the look of who are open for Extra for the course you want then ring UCAS and notify them that you'd like to change your firm/insurance to declines and enter Extra, then ring both your firm and insurance choices and ask them to notify UCAS that they agree to change your replies to declines. Once UCAS have notice from both firm and insurance choices they'll update Track and you'll be able to add your favourite Extra choice on Track.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
Ellasingleton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Talk to your tutor asap but you most likely either have to cancel your application and start over or just wait till clearing and adjust and just change the course if there hopefully places
JavaScriptMaster
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Snot too late to change... and IMHO you should go for Computer Science or Software Engineering, those courses you listed above are soooooo hard to get a good job in
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Contact the two universities and ask if they ll allow you to change then go from there.
Neopolitan Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It might be worth contacting your firm uni directly and seeing if you can switch. I know someone that did this (a few years ago mind) and changed from an offer for French to one for Biology. As long as you are doing the required subjects for your other course, and you can make a convincing argument why you've changed your mind (writing a second personal statement could be helpful for this).
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you want to stay at Brighton but study the other course? If so contact Brighton asap and ask them if you can change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (129)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (63)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (374)
56.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.24%

Watched Threads