The Student Room Group

Do AS levels really matter?

I mean, I know they matter, but I what I mean is, I'm doing biology chemistry and history a levels including a2 for all 3, to get into dentistry in university, but to increase my chances, I'm doing maths as level. I'm decent at maths so as is perfect enough for me, but I'm not that good that I can do a2 as well so I'm definitely not doing maths a2. So my question is: would the maths as level actually have any significance alongside my other a levels, and would universities be more likely to accept me with it than without it? Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Im M
I mean, I know they matter, but I what I mean is, I'm doing biology chemistry and history a levels including a2 for all 3, to get into dentistry in university, but to increase my chances, I'm doing maths as level. I'm decent at maths so as is perfect enough for me, but I'm not that good that I can do a2 as well so I'm definitely not doing maths a2. So my question is: would the maths as level actually have any significance alongside my other a levels, and would universities be more likely to accept me with it than without it? Thanks

For a subject like dentistry, I think it would have very little impact on your application. Unis usually ask for 3 levels and I don't think dentistry, afaik, is a subject that values a Maths A-level in particular, so by extension the AS level...

It's always better to do better in 3 A-levels than slightly worse in 4.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
For a subject like dentistry, I think it would have very little impact on your application. Unis usually ask for 3 levels and I don't think dentistry, afaik, is a subject that values a Maths A-level in particular, so by extension the AS level...

It's always better to do better in 3 A-levels than slightly worse in 4.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I just thought that since dentistry is a very very competitive course at uni and how so so many people want to study it, that most people doing it wouldve taken chem bio physics and maths with them with very good grades, that they would outmuscle me for the place in that uni, so i thought taking as maths would push me up that one little bit extra.

Quick Reply

Latest