The Student Room Group

Trinity College Cambridge Law Essay Prize 2017

Did anyone enter this? How did you find it?

Also, if you entered it did you get a confirmation email relating to the 2016 competition?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am just about finalising my essay at the moment, so should be sending it off in the next couple of hours, I'll let you know if receive I this confirmation email. I found the title very open to interpretation, which I enjoyed to research, although it did take a while for me to form an actual opinion of my own. How did you find it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
i found it quite hard but ok... I did not use any footnotes. For my quote i just said who it came from. Do you think that is ok? Are you using any?
(edited 6 years ago)
I used about 7/8 footnotes but I wouldn't regard an essay as "not good" simply because you may or may not have used them, as long as you have included the source and a link to the source in a references section it should be ok. I think the content of the essay is the most important part anyway
Reply 4
I didn't put any kind of sources or reference link?!! Do you think it's ok or should I change it and re-send it?? I'm really worried now...
I thought you just said that you wrote where the quote came from into your essay, that should be sufficient, I haven't entered any essay competitions before so I don't know what they do and don't like in terms of essay etiquette.
Reply 6
for one of them I just said the person said it (James madison) and the other one I said it was from the huffinton post and that was it. I said that by writing it in the actual essay. Do you think that is fine?? Thanks so much btw 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
I would say it depends on how heavily your argument is influenced by/built on by the works of others, did you do much reading around referendums and integrate those ideas into your work, or did you outline your own opinion?
Reply 8
if is not really influenced by the work of others at all - it's mainly mine so I think it'll be fine.......
That's brilliant then! What kind of route did you take with your essay?
Reply 10
I said that referenda were a good thing and then said how I would use them to try and limit their disadvantages. So very personal. What about you?
I talked about how I believe referendums should be used to strengthen democracy as they enhance the democratic process in numerous ways. I then talked about how the flaws associated with them could be resolved to produce an even more democratic society
Reply 12
that sounds pretty similar to mine then! Did you also get the 2016 reply?
No I still haven't sent mine off, I need to shave off about 80 words :smile:
Reply 14
yep that was me as well! Do you want to do law at cambridge/uni?
I have been looking at Cambridge and I would love to go, but I of course understand how unrealistic my chances of getting in are. I'm pretty set on Law at uni though, 100%. What about you?
Reply 16
Yeah i'm set on law at uni and I think I will definitely apply to cambridge (or maybe oxford) as I may as well try - though I doubt my chances are that great either! I would love to go though as i went on a cambridge law conference and really liked it.
Do you know if there is a time this has to be emailed in by, or is it just the end of today?
Reply 18
I would say you have until midnight? i.e. anything before the 25th
Ok thanks, that should be ok, it's a bit depressing how my word count is going up as I'm editing it though :smile: :smile: I should probably start legitimately condensing it now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest