The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economics A Help Needed

Hi,

Sitting the Edexcel exams on the 6th, 13th and 19th June. Really in need of an A for Uni so checking a few things on here regarding answer structure for different marks. The whole breakdown of question types really confuses me and I'm unsure on how to differentiate my answer techniques for the marks.

I get that the 5 marker is often a simple explain Q or calculation. However it confuses me beyond that because:
- The 8 markers vary from using the terms 'analyse' and 'examine'. Analyse is simply making a couple of points yet examine implies some evaluation is needed on top of all the skills needed for an 'analyse question'? Didn't make sense to me how, depending on the question terminology, you could be expected to write different amounts for the same amount of marks.
- The 10,12 and 15 markers for me often seem to merge into one in terms of technique. I understand how the marks are broken down in each yet when I'm actually writing the answer, I feel as if as many points and knowledge go into a ten marker as a fifteen marker???
- Just wondered what your teachers had advised for the 25 marker structure also. Very unclear what structure to follow in the mark scheme. My teachers tended to say make two points backed up with two detailed evaluations but to me that seemed similar to the 15 marker? But then 3 points with 3 detailed evaluations seems a lot to do in 30 mins or so!

If any of you could help me out on any of these then it'd be much appreciated. Honestly think understanding the new layout of these exams will be half the battle this year!:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by JP1998
Hi,

Sitting the Edexcel exams on the 6th, 13th and 19th June. Really in need of an A for Uni so checking a few things on here regarding answer structure for different marks. The whole breakdown of question types really confuses me and I'm unsure on how to differentiate my answer techniques for the marks.

I get that the 5 marker is often a simple explain Q or calculation. However it confuses me beyond that because:
- The 8 markers vary from using the terms 'analyse' and 'examine'. Analyse is simply making a couple of points yet examine implies some evaluation is needed on top of all the skills needed for an 'analyse question'? Didn't make sense to me how, depending on the question terminology, you could be expected to write different amounts for the same amount of marks.
- The 10,12 and 15 markers for me often seem to merge into one in terms of technique. I understand how the marks are broken down in each yet when I'm actually writing the answer, I feel as if as many points and knowledge go into a ten marker as a fifteen marker???
- Just wondered what your teachers had advised for the 25 marker structure also. Very unclear what structure to follow in the mark scheme. My teachers tended to say make two points backed up with two detailed evaluations but to me that seemed similar to the 15 marker? But then 3 points with 3 detailed evaluations seems a lot to do in 30 mins or so!

If any of you could help me out on any of these then it'd be much appreciated. Honestly think understanding the new layout of these exams will be half the battle this year!:smile:

The 10,12, 15 and 25 mark questions are done based on level of response instead of number of points. Technically, you will be able to do 1 point for analysis and 1 point for evaluation and presuming you do them to a high enough level (eg being precise in you knowledge and understanding of economic principles, linking knowledge together with a good chain of reasoning, using context and evidence for points fully integrated into answers) you should be able to get full marks on that question.
However, 1 point answers tend to go against the idea examiners have of an essay. As it's the first year of this specification being examined, it's not worth taking the risk and only doing one point (even if it is really good). 2 points with 2 evaluative points are sufficient but you need to make sure that your answers are to a high level of response to get to the higher levelled bands and score the highest marks.

Quick Reply

Latest