Turn on thread page Beta

G-Force fans? (classic anime) watch

Announcements

Did anyone remember watching the old (existed between 70s to 90s) cartoon G-Force, when you were little? It was one of the very first breakthroughs of Japanese anime and had been very successful, made without computer animation and had a good plot and strong characterisation. It became widespread around the world after being bought and dubbed into English versions in the US. It's basically an action anime featuring a group of five main characters leading normal lives with secret identities - they are also superheroes, fighting an evil organisation, who wear Batman-like suits except in the form of different bird costumes.

It has a few aliases under which various versions spawned from the original anime: Gatchaman (the original Japanese anime name), Battle of the Planets (a kiddy Star Wars-like version without much violence), G-Force: Guardians of Space (the version I watched that also ran on Cartoon Network in the 90s) and Eagle Riders. It was quite amazing that one anime could give birth to quite a number of English versions using the exact same episodes from the original, where the problem was "sanitising" the violence for US audiences. G-Force was the one version I loved which had most of the original scenes from the anime without chopping off.

I used to love this show as well as other various anime like the Dragon Ball Z/GT and also Slamdunk!.

Any G-Force fans here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vin)

Any G-Force fans here?
    Yes, i used to watch it when i was a kid too in the 80's- i also watched another Japanese anime that was based in outer space. They had a big battleship looking spaceship that had a huge gun on the front. I loved it - but i dont remember the name - do you??

TB

ReputationRep:
    I loved the G_Force cartoon, and I imagine I still do! The plots and the visual designs made me look forward to watching every episode I could, even the reruns.

With semi-confidence, I think their spaceship was called The Phoenix. Voltar/Zoltar/their master enemy always had cool battle ready ships, too. Many of them were designed after living creatures, like big mechanized crabs, grashoppers and ants.

Lego building blocks were big with me at the time, as well. So, a lot of my constructions would be based on what I saw on G-Force.

This topic is fun nostalgia.

ReputationRep:
    I have been trying to remember the title of this cartoon for years, as I remember loving it as a kid. Now......Does anyone know where we can download copies of the eppisodes from?

(Original post by Vin)
    Did anyone remember watching the old (existed between 70s to 90s) cartoon G-Force, when you were little? It was one of the very first breakthroughs of Japanese anime and had been very successful, made without computer animation and had a good plot and strong characterisation. It became widespread around the world after being bought and dubbed into English versions in the US. It's basically an action anime featuring a group of five main characters leading normal lives with secret identities - they are also superheroes, fighting an evil organisation, who wear Batman-like suits except in the form of different bird costumes.

It has a few aliases under which various versions spawned from the original anime: Gatchaman (the original Japanese anime name), Battle of the Planets (a kiddy Star Wars-like version without much violence), G-Force: Guardians of Space (the version I watched that also ran on Cartoon Network in the 90s) and Eagle Riders. It was quite amazing that one anime could give birth to quite a number of English versions using the exact same episodes from the original, where the problem was "sanitising" the violence for US audiences. G-Force was the one version I loved which had most of the original scenes from the anime without chopping off.

I used to love this show as well as other various anime like the Dragon Ball Z/GT and also Slamdunk!.

Any G-Force fans here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomwbates)
    Yes, i used to watch it when i was a kid too in the 80's- i also watched another Japanese anime that was based in outer space. They had a big battleship looking spaceship that had a huge gun on the front. I loved it - but i dont remember the name - do you??

TB
    I think you are remembering Starblazers. If i remember correctly, it was a submarine that was converted into a spaceship.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.