The Student Room Group

France elections: Le Pen 'steps aside' as party leader

Far-right French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen has announced that she will step down as leader of her National Front (FN) party.

The move comes just a day after she reached the second round of the French election, where she will face Centrist Emmanuel Macron.

"This evening I decided to take my leave of the presidency of the National Front," she told TV channel France 2.

"I will be above partisan considerations."

It is not clear if her decision will be permanent. She told France 2 that France is approaching a "decisive moment".

Ms Le Pen took over the FN leadership from her father in January 2011 and helped her party secure big gains in regional elections.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39696861

Thoughts?
Reply 1
If that's not political manoeuvre...
Original post by Mathemagicien
Temporarily.

She's gathering the votes of the far-right under her wing (no one on that side of the spectrum has any alternative to vote for) and will now move to the middle to gather more voters.

Original post by Josb
If that's not political manoeuvre...

Indeed. Being 'above partisan considerations' really has nothing to do with it, other than to secure a few more votes.
The real reason for this is a quick dissociation from the dodgy funding of Le Pen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending